X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• selecting the right brad/finish nails

I recently upgraded my 16-ga and 18-ga nailers to the Ridgid line. I have the
    r250sfa and the r213bna

the 16-ga nailer has a range of 3/4"-2 1/2"
    the 18-ga nailer has a range of 5/8"-2 1/8"

Assume I have no 16-ga nails...I would like to know what is the typical range of nails you have? For example: 1 1/4" 1 3/4" and 2 1/2"
    or would you stock the entire range of nails?
    Can this gun still be ok with a 1/2" and 5/8" 16-ga nail? or when they spec 3/4" as the shortest nail don't go shorter?

Similar questions regarding the 18-ga nailer
    I really like the range of the ridgid unit as it can do 5/8" to 2 1/8" compared to my my older devilbiss that was 3/8" to 1 1/4"
    Can this nailer also fire 3/8" and 1/2" ? or again don't shoot nails shorter than what they spec?

I typically build shelving, some finish work, repairs, molding, small projects, etc.

For those of you looking for some very nice nailers check these babies out.

I currently own a Craftsman pneumatic stapler and it is just fine, thus sadly I can't rationalize getting the Ridgid r150sfa stapler!

In setting up an inventory of nails..should I get only the "shiny type"? or should I also get some galvanized and/or stainless nails? What brand is better, or are they all the same? I typically have Senco and Harbor Freight and I think a few porter cable brand brads/nails.

Cactus Man

Re: selecting the right brad/finish nails

Congrats on your purchase , I am sure you will be happy with them.

As far as the nails go, I have a box of everything for each gun. You just never know what you will need for a given situation. I find myself using 3/4, 1" and 1-1/4" a with the brad nailer a lot but others will chime in with what they seem to use the most of.

For brand of nails, 90% of mine are Porter Cable, but others will work just fine. Not sure about Harbor Freight, I have never used them.

As far as trying to shoot shorter nails go, I am not sure but I would think that the piston wont fire deep enough to set the nail. Its probalby a stroke limitation on teh gun itsself. I am just guessing on this.

Regards,

Comment

3/4" is the shortest I've seen in 16GA finish, and 5/8" in 18GA brads.
      I have accumulated all the sizes over time - each job I buy 2000/box and I end up with more brads than I know what to do with. Mostly, I use 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" 18GA brads, 1 1/2" and 2" 16GA finish, and 2" and 2 1/2" 15GA finish, and 5/8" and 1" staples.
      I think if you are going to have only 2 nail guns, it should be an 18GA brad for small finish work, and a 15GA finish for the heavier stuff like door jambs and large casings/crown. That said, it's better to have all sizes!
      I think I have 2 or 3 of each 18,16,15,framer,3 cordless, etc...

As far as fasteners brands, I've used P-C, Senco, Paslode, and few others. I tend to stick with Senco and Paslode since they seem to be the most consistent in terms of quality. Unless you are working on an outdoor project or with certain woods, I wouldn't worry about using SS fasteners.
      Last edited by Newman; 04-14-2007, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by biscuit View Post

...As far as trying to shoot shorter nails go, I am not sure but I would think that the piston wont fire deep enough to set the nail. Its probalby a stroke limitation on teh gun itsself. I am just guessing on this.

Regards,
        No,
        It's an issue with over-driving the piston and setting the fasteners too deep and possibly damaging the tool over time. I suppose one could just lower the air pressure on the compressor if the depth setting on the gun doesn't do it, but it may also be a limitation of the magazine and whether or not it can accommodate the shorter lengths.

Comment

Thanks for the info Newman.

I was not sure, but stroking the piston to the bottom would damage teh gun over time. It makes sense to me.

Regards,

Comment

Working...
          X