6" vs 8" Dado...which one?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6" vs 8" Dado...which one?

I posted a Dado-related question about a week ago and I appreciate the responsed. I subsequently bought a 7" wobble dado (Delta) and was not impressed with the cut. The bottom of the groove is definitely a deeper cut than the edges.

My question is: Why would someone choose an 8" dado vs. a 6" dado? I am going to purchase a Freud stacked dado, but I am questioning which to purchase. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jamie

Eight inch dado will cut a 1" deeper groove than a six inch dado will. The 6" costs less.

Dave

Comment

Dado Size recommendations:

Yes, an 8" Dado stack will fit in a 10" table saw, but....

I have been told by more than one woodworker that you should use a 6" Dado in a 10" table saw if it 1 1/2 hp or less. If you have a nicer 3 hp tablesaw, go for the 8" Dado Stack.

Supposedly the 8" Dado Stack takes it toll on the weaker motors.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I ordered the 6" Freud stacked dado from Amazon. I got it about $20 cheaper than any other place I could find. I will give it a try when it arrives. The TS2424 should have no problem with the 6" blade.

Thanks,
        Jamie

Comment

I have been looking at dado blades too. Has anyone here used an 8" dado on their TS2424? Any problems?

I like the Forrest 8", but a bit on the pricey side (~$279) although at shows they sell them for around $229. I plan on doing a lot of work with veneer plywood (bookshelves, entertainment unit, etc.) so I want a quality blade that won't destroy the veneer. I decided to go with the Freud Super Dado. Just about ready to order one from Amazon. After reading this post, I would like to make sure I order the right size.

[ 02-07-2002: Message edited by: MarkR ]
          Mark

Comment

"Has anyone here used an 8" dado on their TS2424?"
            - yes

"Any problems?"
            - no

It is conceivable that you might be able to build a full stack, raise the cradle all the way, bevel to full 45 degrees, and hit the insert. A standard part of prechecking a tablesaw setup should be checking such things.

Dave

Comment

I agree I use the freud 8" stacked dado works great No problems at all on the TS-2424

Comment

Although I have a couple Ridgid shop tools, my table saw is the Ryobi BT3000. It has NO PROBLEM with the Freud 8 inch stacked dado set. I have routinely cut 3/8 deep by 3/4 wide dadoes in plywood and particle board without incident. I got the 8 incher because the price was great ($79 at Lowes last year) and immediate availability. Surely, the 6 inch would have been equally acceptable, since I'll never use the extra inch of cut depth I have available. I do not believe the weight difference is an issue with respect to either my saw's arbor or its motor and bearings. Have fun, be safe!

MikeN

Comment

Working...
                X