X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Finally done!

VASandy, I was reading your old posts on the drum sander and am starting to look at one. I was wondering if you could share some of your thoughts on it's performance so far.

Comment

Thanks for all the kind words!! I really wanted to use that piece of spalted maple and make it special. Doing the box with grain following was the only way to do that wood justice, at least to the best of my abilities!

rnt80, the Performax 1632 Plus is a dream. There were some difficulties setting it up (all of which were the stand, surprisingly). The power unit and feed belt were well aligned out of the box. I had to do a tiny alignment on the drum to get it flat all the way across. It's a simple process, and easily performed.

Running the sander requires a dust collector. It has a 4" hookup on the top of the drum-head. You just can't run the thing without being able to pull the sawdust out. If you don't have a DC, get one before you get the drum sander.

I'll also have you all know I used my Ridgid BS14002 to make the panels for the top and the bottom. With a good blade and the power-twist belt, the BS runs pretty fine now. If you resaw, you need a drum sander though. I tried every other method of sanding after resaw, but nothing works like a drum sander.

Now I need to get a riser block for the BS..which means a whole new set of blades...lol!!!
      Last edited by VASandy; 04-15-2007, 12:04 AM. Reason: trying to fix the speeeeeling errors!
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I was looking at some images of the drum sander and it looks to me like there is a yellow strip on the front that must be the thickness gauge. Is that right? Do you think it would be possible to attach a Wixey gauge to it for increased accuracy?

Comment

I've been wondering if the Wixey would work. The attached gauge is ok, but I find myself using a dial caliper for checking it. I've kind of missed my final thickness a couple times so far. Since each 1/4 turn of the knob is 1/64", and you really can't go much more than that in a single pass, you don't miss by much, so I've just been more careful. Trying to convert digital to fractions, then try and figure out if there's 1/64" left to 1/4" ...... well, I'm not a math wiz anyway! I'll let you know if I end up getting the Wixey how it goes.

Comment

Sandy

Now you know why people do hate fractions. What you need is to have a fractions to decimal chart in your workshop. Actually you need to do what machinists have been doing for years. Convert your measuring system totally to decimal. 1 then 1/10 then 1/100 then 1/1000 - It's sooooo much nicer to work with. I hope your dial caliper is one where one revolution = 0.100 inches and each mark is 1/1000 inch. You should have lines for inches and 1/10th inches. What I can't stand are the dial calipers where one revolution = 0.200 inch.

You would love the new digital read out calipers that have built-in metric conversion. They don't come cheap (the ones that are any good) but what a nice investment in a measuring tool.

By the way you can buy steel rules that are marked off on one side in 1/10 and 1/100 inches along with 1/32 and 1/64 on the other side.

Comment

A little fun gift for everyone. This is a fraction to decimal chart that I made up and saved in Adobe Acrobat .PDF format. If you download and open the file it should print out well on 8-1/2 x 11 paper. I print mine on light cover stock and hang them up. The other chart is a conversion of twist drill sizes over to decimal inch.
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, Woussko!! That'll be handy to have hanging up in the shop!

Comment

ya thanks Wassco I got it too.

§m€llŸ™
                  §m€llŸ™

Comment

Working...
                  X