X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally done!

This is a project that I've been working on for a while. This is what I call my "scraps box" because it's made from scraps from other projects. The sides of the box are incredibly thin. This was because I had at first tried to use a planer to final-dimension the rough spalted maple. All the planer really did was chip the heck out of the wood. This is why I now have a drum sander!!

I ran the pieces through the drum sander, and they came out a little under 1/4" thick. Due to this, I had to do keyed mitres in the corners in order to strengthen the mitre joints. There was no way to use biscuits or dowls in there! The keys in the mitres are black walnut. I made the keyed mitre jig from a picture in a book on box-making.

I then took some curly maple and resawed it on the bandsaw, as well as a panel of black walnut. These I then book-matched. One piece is the top, and the other makes the bottom. The bottom floats inside, so in case it expands or shrinks, it won't crack. The sides are from one piece, so the grain follows all the way around.

I made the feet from some thicker, smaller chunks of left-over curly maple. The top is from a piece of black walnut. Everything about this box is home-made (except the glue). I used Titebond III glue on everything except the feet. Those are held in with "turner's tape"; double-sticky, very thin, but strong tape.
    Attached Files
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Re: Finally done!

Sandy

Nice work and a great way to make use of scraps. Keep it up and please keep everyone updated. Is your shop in your garage or an out building or down in the basement of your house? My garage runs too damp most of the year so I'm limited to my nice dry and heated basement but I've run out of room so I have to not get any nice new goodies until I can make room for them. A table saw and jointer in don't get along very well in a dining room. LOL

Comment

Thanks, Woussko! This was the first time I really paid lots of attention to how the grain follows on the box. I think it came out well.

My workshop is in the basement. At some point, I'll be putting in walls and the hubby's music studio will go in half of it. I'm trying to work out how this is all going to fit....it might be a while before the hubby gets his basement space!!!
      Last edited by VASandy; 04-13-2007, 04:17 PM.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Sandy

I bet you have a nice BIG farm house with a nice BIG basement. My real problem is that I'm a serious pack rat junk collector and over years made one real mess of my place. I just can't stand to take my goodies off to the junk yard and dump. Maybe sometime I'll put the stuff out by the road with a big sign FREE TO GOOD NEW HOME and hope someone takes it away for me. I hope that Friday, April 27 and Saturday the 28th that the weather is good. There's a big junk auction (Chambersburg PA area but not in the city) that I hope to get to with lots of stuff I want to be rid of. This is not the kind of stuff to sell on eBay. It's too heavy to ship and I will be happy to get $5 for the big pile of it. I just can't stand the idea of it ending up in the county dump or as scrap metal.

Anyway keep up your good work and maybe this summer will be nice and you'll get over to the antique farm machinery show not far from your area. I think but am not sure that they may have a "Pack Rat" auction there.
        Last edited by Woussko; 04-13-2007, 05:20 PM.

Comment

very nice sandy and now i see what you meant by "keyed miters"
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Great little box VASandy

Nice grain patterns and good execution on the keyed miters.

Oh yeah, nice jig too!
            Cheers! - Jim
            -------------
            All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

That came out very nice indeed, and I'd sure would have hated to see those "scraps" end up as nothing more. I like the way your oriented the grain and the keys are a nice touch.

Thanks for posting this project,

CWS

Comment

"Great job" on the whole box, Sandy. Curly Maple is down right gorgeous, loved the joints. Find some Birdseye Maple if you ever get a chance, you'll like that too. Grain patterns can be hard to do, but you did an awesome job. I do like your jig set up, there is one that I have been eying out, just need to get around to doing it. Whats the next project?
                Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

WOW! Great job. Following the grain patterns takes a lot of attention to detail. One mess-up and the side can't be used and all your planning has been for naught. Some day I plan to attempt keys like yours. They came out great.

Comment

Nice looking job. I really like the Curly Maple. There's not much good wood to pick from around here, so I have to live with what I can find. Look forward to seeing more... Thanks for sharing..
                    If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

very nice! what are you going to put in it?
                      A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Very nice! I love curly maple. Birdseye too!

Comment

That's beautiful Sandy. Very well done.
                          ken
                          Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

Fine piece, You should be proud you found such a nice use for scraps and cut-offs.

REgards,

Comment

Beautiful work, Sandy. Nice innovation on that key jig, too!!

Go
                              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
                              X