Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blade kerf TS 3650

Hello everyone,
    My first post here. Will the TS 3650 struggle with a wide kerf blade cutting through common 1 inch lumber such as poplar, maple, and various plywoods?
    Thank you.
    Steve.

Re: Blade kerf TS 3650

As long as you feed it at a reasonable rate you should be fine even ripping and cross cutting 1-1/2" think. A good well designed and sharpened full kerf blade won't take anymore power than a poor design thin kerf one. Be sure the blade being used is designed for the type of cutting job. More than likely you'll end up with several blades. When cutting listen to the the saw cutting. If the pitch drops any notable amount, slow down on your feed rate. One thing about a full kerf blade is that they tend run truer and not vibrate as much as a thin one. If you look around on here you'll find loads of info on what blades people like and don't like. No one blade does everything well. A combination type can do many things, but not any as well as a blade designed for the type of work. Example: You will want a blade made for ripping, one for cross cutting hard wood, one for plywood and you might keep a cheepo steel (not carbide tipped) around for cutting scraps where they just might be a nail or junk in the wood. Do be careful if you saw up any used lumber. A band saw is much safer for such. For ruff cutting scraps, use a reciprocating saw if you can.

Comment

Woussko,
      Thank you.
      Steve.

Comment

Hard maple will be the toughest of those you listed, but the 3650 shouldn't have much trouble at 1". As a matter of physics, a high quality TK will have an easier time of it. Nothing wrong with the full kerf choice, but most manufacturers will suggest a TK for motors less than 3hp. Blades like the Forrest, Infinity, upper end Freud, Ridge Carbide, and upper end DeWalts are excellent choices IMHO. If you stay with the top shelf blades, you'll have no issues.

One of my favorites is the Freud Industrial LU88R010. It happens to be a bargain at ~ $45, and is an excellent choice in the materials and range you mentioned...especially the ply, and is well matched for your saw. It actually cuts a tad cleaner than my WWII, Infinity Combmax, DW7657, and Ridge Carbide TS2000, which are all top shelf general purpose/combo blades. It's upper limit is ~ 6/4", but up to that it's outstanding.

http://www0.epinions.com/LU88

If you've got your heart set on a full kerf, I'd go with the DeWalt DW7657....also now available as a Delta 36-7657 for ~ $40 at Lowes and other retailers who sell Delta Industrial blades.

http://www0.epinions.com/DW7657
        Last edited by hewood; 04-14-2007, 07:48 AM.

Comment

I have a full kerf blade on my 3650. It does fine. I just built a door using inch and a half oak and as long as I kept the feed rate reasonable, the saw will tell you what it will take, it did fine

Comment

Woussko, hewood, and Rocketman, thank you all for your advice. I purchased the full kerf Delta 7657 this afternoon.
            Steve.

Comment

Working...
            X