X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jointer question - Uses?

Sorry this is a newbie question but what is a jointer used for? I'm assuming it's for beveling the edges of wood to join them? What uses are there for a jointer? I am going to make an enclosed end table that is not square, it's more of a triangle, would this machine make cutting angles easier? Thanks for any info.

A jointer has 2 uses. 1. it is used to make the edges of boards straight. If you look down the edge of any board, you will see that they are not straight. This is called a crown. by feeding the board threw the jointer, you will take the high ends down to make the board straight. This is necessary, excuse the spelling, for glue ups.
    2. It is also used to flatten out a board. Same as the edge, the face could have a cup. By sending the face through the machine, this will make the board flat. Then you send it through the thickness planer to make the board symetrically even.
    You can use the jointer to make rabbets also, but there are other machine that will do the job better and faster, such as a router or a table saw, with or with out a dado blade.

I hope that this answers your question.

Jim

Comment

Just to clarify, then a person wouldn't use the jointer to bevel the edge of a board by angling the backplate?

Comment

Yes you can but the typical jointer fence will only adjust from 45 to 135 degrees and really I would only suggest you use it to cleanup an edge once cut with a saw. The jointer is not really the tool to use to hog off the entire cut.

Comment

Flapbreaker,

Another way to look at what a jointer does is to say that if you build any furniture or precision items, you must have flat square pieces of lumber and a jointer gives you the start. You typically joint one edge and one face and you know you have a flat face, flat edge and a perfect (as is possible) 90 degree angle between the face and edge.

You can then go to your table saw and place this jointed edge against your fence and cut a board that has two edges and one face in square (In some cases, I joint the edge cut by the table saw, depending on what I am doing with the piece, to insure 90 degree edges). You would then go to the planar and you would have both faces parallel and both edges parallel and everything square, yielding a piece of lumber you can use in your project.

In my workshop, it all starts with the jointer and I check and double check the angle between the bed and the fence for as near perfect 90 degrees as is possible.

Jerry
          It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Comment

Thanks for all the reply's. That clears everything up. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I would try not to limit myself so severely with the uses of your jointer. I own my own shop and have for several years and it is my contention that you are as limited as you want to be.....but don't have to be.
              It is true that a jointer is limited in its angle formations yet how many degrees can you go past 90 before you are in repetition?
              Experiment and enjoy.

Comment

Making tapers is another task the jointer does very well. There are instructions in the manual. A jig is required to do this on the table saw. If you need a large number of identical tapers though I would use the table saw and a jig. The tapers produced on a jointer might vary from piece to piece depending on the skill of the operator.

Comment

Working...
                X