Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porter Cable Three Nailer and Compressor Kit

Although this is a RIDGID forum, I have to ask:

I saw this kit at HD for $299, and debating whether to buy it. This would be my first foray in any type of air tools; does anyone have experience with this set? Buying a kit makes this a very easy decision for me, as I don't have to guess what to buy and what works with what, but buying quality is very important to me, as I do not want to buy the same tools repeatedly.

I'm a DIY'er, so these tools would only see duty around the house (although I suspect my wife will be wasting quite a few nails; she loves power tools).

"Most computer problems can be trace back to ID 10 T errors."
    ----------------------------
    "Most computer problems can be traced back to ID 10 T errors."

Re: Porter Cable Three Nailer and Compressor Kit

I bought that set well worth the money IMO. Go for it.
    SSG, U.S. Army
    Retired
    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

That compressor is VERY loud (over 90 db)- if you only only doing trim and light duty you may want to consider a quiter unit. I just bought a Dewalt compressor a few days ago which is very small (1 gallon) but is very quiet (69 db).

Comment

My dad has (currently in my possesion :-) ) that same kit. it is very nice. yes it is loud. We run framing nailers as well as brad, finish, crown staple and pinners on it. has enough power for all. It will not keep up with tools that require high output.

This kit goes on sale at amazon.com once in a while for $259. Also, right now amazon has a sale on teh Bostitch kit which is basically the same as the portercable for $244 delivered.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies. As I will be using this unit in the house, the amount of noise it produces will be a serious factor ( 90 db is quite high). I was ready to spring for it today, but the HD was out of stock.

If nothing else, this will give me a chance to look at the Bostitch model.

Franklin Pug, isn't the 1-gallon compressor on the small side? I would think the unit would be cycling constantly. But then again, I won't be framing a house either.

Comment

I ran a brad nailer all day today and it only cycled once. I fired at least 100 nails, some times 15 a minute.

The compressor is small, not doubt about it. Its ideal for trim carpentry, as it is very easy to move from place to place or carry in your car/truck. I would highly reccommend it -i use it for casings, baseboard, and holding pieces together while glue dries on projects (16 and 18 gauge nails). I run a brad and finish nailer off it (not at the same time). It would be too small for a framing nailer or paint gun.

here is the link:

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...roductID=15513

Comment

I can give a thumbs up for the guns in the kit. I have PC tools at my day job and they have been beaten on flawlessly for years.

I personally wouldnt let the noise of the compressor bother you too much. I doubt you will be using it while others are sleeping anyway. If the wife complains about the noise, ask her if she wants the project done or not

Comment

I agree with the others - it's a great kit. Actually, I only have the two gun version (brad & finish nailers, no staple gun) and have had no problems in the three years since I purchased it. I would also recommend adding a blow gun and tire inflation chuck to extend the use of the compressor. I use the blow gun to blow the sawdust off my clothes, and of course the tire chuck is handy for inflating bike and auto tires. Good luck!
                -O&B

Comment

I can vouch for the P-C nailers too. They are very reliable and work great. However, the compressor is really noisy and if you are using it indoors it can really get on your nerves. You could put it outside and run a long hose indoors.
                  I'd suggest you look at this combo >>>

http://www.amazon.com/D55141FNBN-Hea...6806367&sr=8-2

Dewalt has great nailers as well in my opinion. I'm using one of their 15GA and 16GA and I like them a lot, and I usually don't like Dewalt tools all that much.

Comment

Shadow,

I picked up this kit a few months ago and it too was my first foray into my own air tools. I've used others and have heard that PC makes good stuff. I chose this one for that reason, and I liked the price considering the 3 guns. I didn't know what exactly I would want for guns, so this combo is allowing me to learn something in an area I know will come in handy as I build more projects.

My only complaints would echo some of the others' above - it can be pretty loud, and it will kick on after only blowing sawdust off of my TS and CMS.

Comment

This morning, I just got the OK from the BOSSLADY to purchase the PC kit. She seems more excited than I do. I think she's going to waste a lot of nails in the near future.

Mad Lou, I agree with what you stated, this tool will help me to learn and grow in an area that I have no experience in. And I can jump right in without wondering which guns to buy. As I (hopefully) gain more experience, I can make better decisions about purchasing air tools.

As for the noise, if I'm building her projects, she'll have no complaints. And I can always build a case for it in the garage.

Thanks to all for your feedback. Hope to return the favor.

Comment

Working...
                      X