No announcement yet.

They shipped me a band saw!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woody....don't you just hate it when things you wrote a year ago come back to haunt you??

Originally posted by UO_Woody:
    The G0555 is backordered till anyone's guess.
    So if you think you want one, order it now because it will probably be 3 to 6 months before you see it.
    Add shipping on top of the price, and your real close to what the BS1400 is now.
    True, it doesn't have the quick release, roller guides, miter or fence with it.
    Look at some of the other prices of saws that come with some of these options as standard. You could almost buy 2 BS1400 for the price of some of the others. Ridgid has reputation, an outstanding warrenty. And the review that was givin to the BS1400 FW Tools & Shops 2001/2002 is self explanitory. Overall, Ridgid is still a pretty good bang for the buck. Just because one company came out with features on one model that is litteraly 1/2 the price doesn't mean you are getting a peice of machinery that is high quality, or has longevity. I'd like to see grizzly upgrade all thier bandsaws the same way, and see what price they put on the rest of them. They didn't upgrade a model, they released one. I would really wonder about craftsmanship.
    And if you buy a defective BS1400 it's a simple trip back to home depot and bring home a new one. With Grizzly, you PAY to ship it back and wait another 3 to 6 months to get the replacement?
    I have the BS1400. If and when the motor goes out, an Emerson 1hp will replace it. An optional quick release is available for it from Carter Industries. I'm sticking with cool blocks as the rollers don't work well on thin blades. But I'm tempted to try the ceramic ones...once. And as far as the fence and miter goes, I bought the fence, and use the TS2424 miter on it.
    And I have plans to store the fence when I build/buy a decent table for it.
    Just my opinion but when you really trick it out like you normally would, I still think the BS1400's reputation will prevail with the price on it.
    I've looked at the castings on some other brands and Ridgids is far nicer looking, and they don't even have all the extras or warrenty and still is almost twice as much as Ridgid.
    I do agree a quick release and a 1hp would be a nice upgrade, but how much will that increase the price? I think I would rather add these features as I can afford them.
    Besides, the Grizzly is GREEN. I hate GREEN. And Ridgid is colorful with soft touch knobs!
    No intent to downgrade other brands, but when you sit down and really compare apples to apples, fit, finish, quality, warrenty and price. I think you will all agree. It will circle right back around to the top...Ridgid.
    ok, go ahead...pick me apart [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Just having fun with you!!!!!!
    MERRY CHRISTMAS AND MAY THE NEW YEAR BRING YOU A NEW BAND SAW THAT WORKS....BOB

Comment

That was like pouring salt in an open wound.

Woodslayer

Comment

I normally just lurk this forum, but when I read this thread I had to reply.

Woody, I've been following your story with interest for the last couple months. Frankly, my initial impression of you was on the order of, "if this guy is enough into Ridgid that he has their logo on his website, and a shop full of their tools, where is he coming from, bashing them like he does?" As I gathered in the details, it became pretty clear. You're being driven away, unwillingly, by poor customer service. It gave me great relief to learn that they were finally going to ship you a brand-new saw.

And now this.

I note that you're not putting any finality to the story - it seems you realize that, somewhere, there might be a semi-reasonable explanation for what happened. I look forward to hearing that reason, should it appear.

If they cannot come up with any good explanation, I'll have to take that into account when I choose what tool to recommend to my customers. Now, my particular HD isn't a very big one, but I personally know another 20 Hardware Department Supervisors. I suspect they each know a few more. We can't afford to adversely affect the reputation of our empolyer by selling power tools backed by customer service of this level. If this is how it's actually going to be, I'll have to put the word out just to protect Home Depot.

So, I'm going to follow the resolution of this sad story very closely.

[ 12-24-2003, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: SuperDave ]

Comment

Merry Christmas EVERYONE.

Salt is hardly the word. After several heavy financial set backs, I wish all so true that post could be in putting 1 HP motor on it myself. IF, it would be worth it. A replacement is it's only hope...both of them.

I will post a new thread concerning the band saw after I have prepared a photo essay. I completely dis-assembled the whole thing, hammered out the dents and staightened parts to be usable. Once the end of the motor was removed and released pressure on the fan, it turned freely. The casing damage appears to be only asthetic.

I stayed up until 3:00am Wednesday morning working on the band saw. I found out quite a bit about why the saw has some flaws. I took several photo's during my 10 hour venture with the band saw. It is fully assembled upon the legset, and is operational. I will take time this weekend to do the essay.

It will show the reasons the lower shaft has play and slides back and forth through the casting, which is one of the biggest issues with my origanal saw. Tracking problems are still, and always will be the cause of the machining of the mating surfaces of the top and bottom castings. Shimming these mating surfaces to get the flywheels to line up is the only cure short of having a machine shop machine them properly.

I have always said time heals all wounds, to forgive and forget. I now have 2 operational band saws, neither of quality I expect from Ridgid. I believe it's time to drop the band saw issue. I don't beleive Ridgid manufactures the band saw to my standards, and there is no use in persuing it any farther.

My thanks to Mr. Dueker and Mr. Gatz for an effort to overcome the poor customer service route that Ridgid has decided upon. I must also say, I will never invest in another Ridgid Tool again. Not because of quality as I am very happy with most of my other Ridgid Machines. But because the closest Service Center is so far away. They have never returned one of nearly 100 messages left concerning the band saw.

I have at least another 4 years of payments upon the debt created putting my shop together and filling it with tools and machines. I hope in that time I do not have to deal with warranty issues. That future is too far away to decide upon what avenue I will take then.

Edit:
          I forgot to mention, upon cleaning up the mess in the shop today, I took a close look at the shipping label UPS put on the box. The sender address was listed as Ryobi Technologies. I took a photo of the label, and will include it in the Essay.

Merry Christmas EVERYONE!

[ 12-28-2003, 02:27 AM: Message edited by: UO_Woody ]
          John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Woody, I admire a man that doesn't waste much time feeling sorry for himself, but rolls up his sleeves and goes to work. As badly as this all turned out, someone at Ridgid tried to do the right thing, (they failed miserably and get zero points for the result but somebody tried)
            Life's short and too much fun to spend it consummed by anger. You've found a way to make it work out in a way you can accept. (sorry... I struggle for words when I'm impressed...)

[img]smile.gif[/img] Merry Christmas to you and yours Woody.

Comment

Woody one question. Why did you accept the shipment when the carton was in such bad shape? I have refused shipments by UPS and FEDEX when there was visable damage.

Comment

I was not home when they delivered it. My work is 80 miles from home, I leave at 4:30am and don't usually get home until between 5 and 6 pm. Otherwise I would have made them watch as I opened it to inspect it, then decline it.

I'm thinking maybe I should start receiving all shippments here at work, since I'm the one that unloads deliverys anyways.
                John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Woody I hope everything works out for you. I have learned a longtime ago that being bitter and holding on to things only prolongs the agony. Its good that you can just move on and learn from the past. It appears that Bob has not returned from vacation and I am not sure that he checks the board when away from work. Hopefully when he returns your issues will be ironed out to your satisfaction. The one this post has taught me is that the power of the internet is a powerful tool. I have to wonder how many sales will this company will lose because of this fiasco. Your pictures proves to me that this was not the fault of UPS. Ryobi simply found a old saw laying around and sent it to you. Its like they say a picture is worth a thousand words. Maybe I am a optimist but I still have hope that things will be worked out for the best. I hope the new year brings on good health and fortune for you and yours. Goodluck to ya!
                  Reginald (Grainraiser)
                  Reggie

Comment

Due to the time restraints impossed upon me for my son's 1st birthday in trying to complete the rocking horse that was suppose to have been his Christmas present (along with 2 other projects not yet started) I will not have the time to do the photo Essay on the shipped band saw as promised on the how and whys of the flaws.

I apologize, but the project at hand MUST come first. I will however, keep everyone informed of any new promises made my Ridgid...er Ryobi concerning the band saw. And will get the essay done once this project is a done deal. I will include a photo of the cowboy on horseback.

Comment

Woody I'm no packaging expert.
                      But ti seems to me unless your machine was dropped by a fork lift or ran over buy one it wouldn't have looked that bad. Why wasn't it packaged in a ridgid box? Cant see them repackaging it. Maybe it was ups? Check to seee if ridgid put insurance on it before sending it out. AS for the jerk that did that to a saw maybe forhead rub to a bealt sander.

Comment

Woody---again, hope this works out to some satisfaction for you.

To the other loud mouths----fact---check any post I made 6 months ago----99% positive for Ridgid. No, there are things I don't like----I don't like a good company, bought by some schlock outfit, who completely trashes quality and good customer service. And no, I don't appreciate attacks by Nazis who trash me just because I say something negative about a bad situation.

So, if you wonder why my responses to things like this have a certain edge---ask jerks like Cranky, who now has twice lead a bash DaveFerg thread. And in case you hadn't noticed people with Cranky's attitude haven't driven me off from posting other neutral, and hopefully helpful comments, which I will continue to do despite the obviously rude behavior of others.
                        Dave

Comment

Originally posted by daveferg:
                          Woody---again, hope this works out to some satisfaction for you.

To the other loud mouths----fact---check any post I made 6 months ago----99% positive for Ridgid. No, there are things I don't like----I don't like a good company, bought by some schlock outfit, who completely trashes quality and good customer service. And no, I don't appreciate attacks by Nazis who trash me just because I say something negative about a bad situation.

So, if you wonder why my responses to things like this have a certain edge---ask jerks like Cranky, who now has twice lead a bash DaveFerg thread. And in case you hadn't noticed people with Cranky's attitude haven't driven me off from posting other neutral, and hopefully helpful comments, which I will continue to do despite the obviously rude behavior of others.
                          Notice something that many have noticed here daveferg?? - board has been real nice,quite and civil for awhile.
                          Now we see the return of the same ol'-same ol' stuff that stirs up the kettle.
                          Just a real nice and civil observation. I'll let it go at that

Good things just cannot last I guess
                          Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

Cranky, Lorax and other jerks----If the board has been nice and quiet, great, and I appologize for stirring things up---though waiting for an appology from either of you for how, within the last two weeks, you've been trashing me? ----Well, guess some things won't change. If this is your back-handed way of announcing a truce---fine. More than happy to do so.
                            Dave

Comment

I have only two things to say now. And that is I appreciate you guys keeping the thread on top so when Ridgid Employees return to work on Monday the 5th they can view it easy by looking at todays topics.

However, I think you are all just complete pathetic addilecents standing on oposite sides of a fence which none of you can get over to do anything but slober on yourselfs as you spit out childish crap.

This IS a very serious thread, and I wish you would start your own personal bashing thread for each other and stay the heck out of the lagitamate threads.

I could care less of what you think of each other! Perhaps you should deal with each other in person messages or Emails. I for one, have admired posts from all of you, yet dispise these type of posts as well.

Please, for a New Year, keep the persaon stuff personal, and out of our lagitamate posts! Because frankly, to the rest of us, you all don't know how friggin idiotic you look like with your bickoring, name calling childish crap in threads of such serious magnitude to the rest of us.

Now if you continue to all just keep going on with it, let it be known, (and I think I speak for everyone) that you have the right to know how much we are all just laughing at your rediculous immature attitudes. Like the bully on the block when the bigger bully moves in and cleans your clock, but good.

So regain a little self respect and pride in yourselfs with posts of your knowledge, and not how childish you can be. Professionalism is contributed to adulthood. Keeping it cool with mind games of wit is professional and grown up. Name calling and induendo's is the neighborhood playground daily events.

Now if you all got some tools, go produce something and post some pics so we all can see what your made of, besied hollow posts of nothing.

Thanks for your time, and I let my request rest. Do as you all may with my opinion on the issue.

Comment

And the whole congregation said "Amen!"

Comment

Working...
                                X