No announcement yet.

They shipped me a band saw!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You bring up a very good point with the resawing issue. What I was resawing then was 3.5" x 3.5" x 4' chunks of Oak I picked up off job sites they shipped steel decking and other things on. I was cutting off 1/4" all the way around the chunck, then cutting it in 3 equal thickness boards to mill down for glue ups. (Made my brother a bathroom cabinet last week end with some of it, nice Red Oak!)

Now, this I would hardly consider a heavy duty resaw operation. On the other hand, I have about $3000 worth of Walnut from a downed tree from my brother's friends yard. Some of these pieces will be pushing the limit of the saw with the riser kit.

So if resawing the 3.5" oak is what fried the motor, than that walnut certainly is going to be way too much for the saw. I'm in hopes of someday having a 24 to 28 inch MiniMax or Laguna band saw for larger resawing I most likely will be doing in future years. But that's just not something I want to put a 1/8" or 3/16" blade on to do tight curves on. With a large resaw band saw, I feel I will still need the finese of smaller saw for more delicate work.

But your posts has definetly opened my mind to a little bit different options considering my decission on which way to go with Ridgid's offer. And Mikes reply that they will probably take back the 2 other saws also sparks my curiosity. So far, no one from Ridgid has mentioned anything about taking either one of the saws I have back.

I don't want to sound like a prick, but I have an estimated 50 hours into both saws to get the blade to turn to cut anything. Including experimenting with shims to even get the blade to ride on both flywheels. My opinion here is I need some kind of reimbrusment for these hours, and letting me swap parts from both saws to make one 1/2 way decent one would be fair. Or they can take them both, and leave both the saw and check.

I certainly agree I've got nothing to loose by having them come and let me check out the saw and then make my decission. Plus a chance to take some photo's of the Ridgid guys in my shop. But I don't feel like I should expect them to come all that way just hand me a check and for a few photo's. That would be very inconciderate.

So I still have a lot to think about.
    John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

“leave both the saw and check”

That gets my vote, now we are talking some real CS and PR.

Woodslayer

Comment

Woody

You could do like I did with my Grizzly G1019 & put a 1 1/2 hp motor on it. I just happened to have an extra motor in the shop. It works great & re-saws 12" thick material just fine. What ever you do keep the short blade guard because the long blade guard will hit the inside of the case & not let you cut to maximum depth.

Comment

Woody,

I really doubt that you'd ever need a 26" resaw bandsaw. I'd venture a guess that a 17" or a little bigger would be plenty. At that size, you'll get somewhere around 1 1/2 to 2 horse, which is enough to power through most items. The big secret is the blade. With a good blade, you'll get away with something smaller and get great results. Another thing to look at would be the european saws. They tend to make heavier ones than the tiawan models. For example, a european 18" saw may weigh somewhere around 6 or 7 hundred pounds, while their chinee counterparts weigh 3 or 4 hundred. The extra weight in the wheels keeps the blade plowing through wood.

One of the companies (minimax or Laguna) make a 14" steel frame saw with a 12" reaw height and a 1 1/2 or 2 horse motor. The thing weighs nearly 500 lbs.

Whatever you chose, you'll need an extra large space as compared to what you are working in now. -according to your site that I looked through last year

Comment

Need of the size is contributed to many factors. Some of which I'm sure I don't fully understand.

Unless you really try an push the limits of a band saw, one can not appreciate the mass and power along with stability of a large band saw. My projects are much larger than bird houses.

I spent the day in the shop, working on band saws, and doing a little resawing. I can say 2 things with extreme confidence. Ridgid's is what I would consider nothing more than a large scale scroll saw. It's motor is inadiquate, and it's leg set allows the saw to twist, walk, and move way too much to even the slightest of resawing.

With that said, I will let you all know the outcome when I hear back from Ridgid on my decission.

[ 01-19-2004, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: UO_Woody ]
            John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

With all the coorispondence with Ridgid, this is what was agreed upon in which I think we are all satisfied with.

Ridgid is issuing a refund for the band saw. When the riser kits are available I will be receiving a replacement. For all the work I've put into them, set backs and bad timing of the whole ordeal, they are not requiring either one of the saws to be returned.

Ridgid let me know that for some of my resawing operations that the saw was not the correct choice, nor was any other saw in it's class. Someday...I'll have to invest in a more appropiate saw. But the Ridgid will do just fine for most common woodworking tasks.

THE END

Comment

AMEN!
                Lorax
                "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Woody,
                  Glad to hear you came to an equitable and satisfactory solution that both you and Ridgid can support.
                  Ken

Comment

Sounds like a win win
                    murph

Comment

Glad to hear it Woody, sounds like a wise decision on your part.
                      I'm sure it seems like a huge weight has been lifted from your shoulders.

BTW, if you'd like I'll dispose of that load of sticked walnut for you. (just so you're not tempted to resaw it)

Comment

Idle Hands,

I've had some offers already to haul it away. I'm affraid I guard that stash with 00 buckshot. It's got a few years of dry time to go through, in which time I will have added a resaw band saw to the arsonal.

Good try though.

Comment

Good deal for Ridgid to make things right. Also good choice on your part Woody for not making the guys drive all the way to your place.

Comment

Depending on your resawing needs i find the Ridgid does a good job. I hit on to using a 3/8" blade with 3 TPI. You need to understand and adjust for blade flex or drift, whichever you want to call it. One of the things in its favor is the amount of tension you can apply. I do have at my disposal a much heavier duty saw. If i were going to make my living resawing I would go this route, but for what most of us do the Ridgid is fine. We need to hone our skills and understand the nature of the tools we work with. Just trying to say its to easy sometimes to blame the tool.

Comment

Working...
                            X