X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storage Bench

I am building a 10 Ft. storage bench in my front porch, will be extreme different temp. going on. My bench tops are made from glued up 2" Pine boards ( done correctly), with exterior glue.The tops are stained and 3 coats of Urethane. I do not want to put cleats under the tops, there are 3 lids total, one 31", 34" and 51"x 16" wide and 3/4" thick. What can I do to prevent the lids from twisting or cupping. My only thoughts are to put weights on the outside ends (away from piano hinge) for a long period of time. Bench is in front of 4 windows and porch has 9 total, dimension of porch is 8 Ft. x 18 Ft. Concrete floor with 1/2 Quarry tiles, so moister will always be there, since these products will be acting like a sponge from humidity. Passive Solar porch is what it is, constant temp. change will always be there. I stayed with Pine do to the fact, that my whole room is done in T&G V grooved Pine boards, and all windows are pine, done by me. My window sills, flows into the top of the bench, which by the way looks absolutely awesome. I don't want to put cleats on the underside, to me it looks tacky, but if I have to I will. The lids have been in this room for 2 months now, but not in direct sunlight. What is your suggestion for my situation. This same question is in another forum in case you happen to see it again. Yes I do understand that you wont see the cleats until you lift up the lids, but I really don't want any on the lids. Lets hear your suggestions, thanks...Garager...
    Woussko where are you!!!
    Last edited by garager; 04-15-2007, 07:37 PM.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Re: Storage Bench

If "done correctly" means that you made the growth rings opposite on each successive piece, then it may not require cleats. If the growth rings are the same direction on the pieces, you'll have warping eventually, and there won't be much choice than to use cleats.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Done correctly Sandy(the boards), I did one of these in the past and one of the lids on a corner twisted up about a 1/4". Tried the weight for 3 months no help at all, then tried the cleat, also didn't work, too late I think. I should have mentioned there's 3/4" over hang, 3/4" t&g outside, 3/4" frame and 3/4" t&g inside. Thats 3" the a cleats cannot reach, so I do believe I need to do whatever right away, before it gets away from me. I was also wondering if I should go w/brass hinges instead of piano, if a twist happens, then maybe I can readjust the a hinge by filling in the holes and remounting (raising the opposite corner from twist), basically compensating the difference. I really have a problem with seeing cleats on the lid, I like the sleek look inside, but if everybody thinks I should cleat the lids then I will. Thanks for the response...
      Sandy were you the one that bought the jet brand clamps?
      Last edited by garager; 04-15-2007, 08:35 PM.
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Garager, I looked at the Jets, but not in the budget at the moment! Next time I get some funds for my shop, that's what they're going for. I really like them better than the Bessey's.

I, personally, think that cleats would look better than weights....but that's just me! I don't know any other way to stop the heat/chill process from making the top want to twist.
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Working...
        X