Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rigid TS3650 Dust port

A couple of points:
    1) Reducing from 4" to 2" limits the dust collector's potential, not much difference to the shop vac when using a 2" to 4" adaptor.

2) Shop vacs tend to be alot louder, have smaller reservoirs, and smaller filters than DC's.
    Last edited by hewood; 04-16-2007, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
      Not everybody can be pleased at once, you will modify things for "your needs". The link below is a nice set up, better than just sticking a hose on the dust port, because your actually getting more of the dust from under the blade. I hope this will help you, but ya you got to spend time and $$$ to do this.

https://www.ridgidforum.com/filedata/fetch?id=614018
      Garager, is that your 3650 in the pic? I was thinking about something along the same lines. Did you seal off the back, from the pic it doesn't look like you did. Also how effective is it compared to connecting a shop vac hose to the built in dust shroud?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ryan.s View Post
        Garager, is that your 3650 in the pic? I was thinking about something along the same lines. Did you seal off the back, from the pic it doesn't look like you did. Also how effective is it compared to connecting a shop vac hose to the built in dust shroud?

Thanks!
        Can't take credit for this job, it was done by "mijfwb", I'm sure you could PM him, and he'll explain things to you. Rest assure, I'll be doing the same, all that saw dust under my TS, is just bugging me out. Yes, it's much better than just the hose. Reading everybody's post on the subject, go for it...
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I don't know one thing about air flow thus a question? My DC is rated at 1200 CFM. I don't know what my shop vac is rated for, it is a Sears 5.5 hp, but I am certain it is rated less than 1200 CFM. If I install an adaptor on my 3650, even though the original port is 2", or 2 1/2", or whatever it is, it seems as though the DC would still try to pull at 1200 CFM and the rate at which the air/sawdust would be drawn into the DC from the saw would be greater than from my shop vac. Somehow that logic is probably not correct but I don't know how.

Tom

Comment

Tom,

You're right in that your DC will try to move the 1200 CFM, but DC's are different in how they operate vs a shop/vac. DC's work by moving a "volume" of air, where as shop/vacs use forced "suction" only.

When the size of an opening is less than size of the DC's supply hose, you end up choking the DC's ability to move the advertised 1200 CFM "volume" of air. It's designed to move 1200 CFM's of air through a 4" opening, not a 2" opening.

Probably cuts the DC's CFM in half (just a guesstimate).

Factor in curves, DC's fexible hose not being smooth, length of the run & you're putting even more variables into the mix.

Check out Bill Pentz's site on dust collection. http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyc...GettingStarted

He knows way more than me & explains it whole heckuva' lot better than I can.

Comment

Originally posted by sandking View Post
              Can I ask, on a Ridgid 3650 does the motor move when you cut at angles other than 90*? If so, how does your back section allow for this?
              Hi sandking - This isn't my setup but I had one that was similar when I had a contractor saw. Yes, the motor moves when the blade is tilted, so you have to remove those panels during a bevel cut. That's a great reason for Ridgid to move the motor inside the cabinet. The biggest advantage (possibly only) for having an outboard motor is to remove it to make it easier to move the saw frequently...something most people don't do since the jobsite saw was invented.

Comment

I believe that RIGID should desgn and sell a housing replacement that hold a 4" hose.

Is there any RIGID engineer reading our post? Users comments are often the best feedback.

Comment

For any of those who have retrofitted your 3650 to add a 4" port, did you remove the shroud from the blade that the 2.5" port is part of? Would you recommend removing it if I built somthing like this:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/att...8&d=1155951344

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
                    Not everybody can be pleased at once, you will modify things for "your needs". The link below is a nice set up, better than just sticking a hose on the dust port, because your actually getting more of the dust from under the blade. I hope this will help you, but ya you got to spend time and $$$ to do this.

https://www.ridgidforum.com/filedata/fetch?id=614018

I was going to just add a 4" port on the bottom with a single flat piece of plywood. But I really like this set-up. If I can do it easily enough, this seems like an awesome set-up and seems like it would get more of the dust.

Well done! Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Comment

Here is the thread that the photo came from. http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9090

mijfwb pretty much " basically just built a sloping box like Bob D. did and it works good "

You could try this solution:

http://benchmark.20m.com/tools/Ridgi...ification.html
                      Last edited by Bob D.; 05-05-2007, 10:21 PM.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Are DCs that much quieter than shop vacs? I have a Ridgid 12 gal (I think) and yes it's loud as heck. I basically wear ear plugs because of it rather than my TS3650 and/or my band saw. The planer however is another story, those two seem to compete for decible breaking loudness.
                        No, the half of the missing finger was not power tool related.

Comment

"Are DCs that much quieter than shop vacs?"

In short; Yes, much quieter
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 9.5 fingers to go View Post
                            Are DCs that much quieter than shop vacs?

From my experience, it is like the difference between a circular saw and a nice table saw.

A screamer versus a whiner...

Comment

Boy this thread is all over the place, isn't it!? Regarding the reason the unit doesn't come plumbed for 4" DC line, some one hit 75% of it on the head - most buyers don't need it. The other 25% is probably keeping a certain price point.

As for the 4" mod, if you're gong to do it use Bob D's sloped box. I just covered the bottom of the saw and attached a toilet flange and some elbows. I removed the original shroud and was certainly disappointed. I went back to the original shroud and plumbed it down to the horizontal support so that it was easier to connect the vac. I still have the 4" connected and seems to collect the finer particulates. The stuff coming off the top of the blade isn't going to be collected until I spring for a Shark or adapt the current guard with a vac connection.

Pertaining to the problem with downsizing the 4 " DC hose to a vac sized connection simply crack open another gate in the shop in order to maintain the volume of flow. Should work.
                              Later,
                              Chiz

Comment

Man, I wish I could have even the stock dust shroud on my 3612.

How's that for adding another tangent?

Michael

Comment

Working...
                                X