X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best shop additions...let's see them!

I've seen some really great stuff on the forum, some of which I've been able to incorporate into my small shop. I thought I'd share some implements from my shop in hopes that it would encourage others to do so. We're always looking for new ideas and a better way to do things. I included the drill press table that I built a couple of years ago. I also have a pretty simple fix for a coping sled. I just attached a piece of oak to a miter gauge, pushed it into coping bit to create a zero clearance backer and then added the Ridgid clamp down attachement. It works great and holds the stock steady when I'm building my cabinet doors. Lastly, shop space is limited so I use every inch that I can. I bolted some 2x6's to the joists in the ceiling, screwed some 2x4's into the sides of them and them ran some pipe through holes I drilled in the 2x4's. This set up holds all of my sheet goods. The section on the right holds the long stuff and the section on the right holds everything 4' and under. If you've got some great stuff/ideas in your shop that you think are unique to your set up let us know.
    Attached Files

Re: Best shop additions...let's see them!

Nice stuff, rnt80! I hope you don't mind if I kind of exactly copy your DP table. The idea of a drawer there is just irresistable. What a great idea! Your clamp storage is pretty nice, too. I may eventually build a coping jig like that, too. Haven't got there yet. For storage, I'll probably end up with a ceiling system like that. Right now, I've got a rather rickety home-made roll-around system. It needs outriggers to keep from tipping over...and some supports on the back.

Thanks for posting, rnt80! The only hand-made things I have are a tapering jig and the keyed mitre sled. I made some fences that I move from DP to BS, but they're nothing fancy. Merely MDF upright screwed to scrapwood stiffeners. Eventually I'll have something worthy of pictures.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Ok lets keep this one alive, we need contributions of your shop jigs, new tops, addition on your machines, layouts, etc. I only have one picture of my very old 1958 Craftsman Radial Arm Saw, or thats what I believe to have found to be the year. Laminated top on 1/2" plywood and 3/4" glued edge pine boards, wrapped with Black Ash, and Black Ash fence. Saw works fantastic, very accurate, missing a few things that got lost somewhere in time. Other pics, just showing off my table saw extensions again. So go right ahead and show off your stuff, even if you posted them before, I'm sure I haven't seen every picture in this forum. rnt80, nice of you to start this...
      Half way through my drill press top, but I don't think I'll be done w/it for a while. Just landed another house to build, my time will be focused on the jobs now that the cold is gone. Will take pics. and post them when I'm done.
      Attached Files
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

garager..any chance for a few photos of how you mounted all those tables to the 3650? thanks.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Please be honest with this. Why is it that whenever I see a photo of someone's shop it looks like an army barracks just before a Saturday morning inspection. Most of the time my shop is a dusty mess and I would be embarassed to show a photograph of any part. Is everyone cleaning their shop just before the pics are taken or is everyone really neat? Or at least neater than me?

Comment

I think the dust doesn't show in the photos!!! I know when I took pics of my box, I forgot to clean up first....it's pretty doggone dusty in there still!!
            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I guess I'm pretty anal when it comes to that stuff. Unless I have to leave whatever I'm working on in the middle of the garage I always clean up when I'm done (vacuum, blow everything off, put everything away, etc.). I kind of have to since it is also our garage. A mess always drives me nuts though. Believe me, I can make sawdust with the best of them.

Comment

My wife has a strong aversion to dust and mess. Not a bad thing, but if I ever leave a pile of dust anywhere she is on it by the end of the day. Only thing that kills me is she will come out and clean while I am working on something and then I end up feeling a bit guilty creating a further mess! Oh well, it gives us something else to do together!

I like the idea of the storage rack hanging from the ceiling. Unfortunately my ceilings in the shop are 12' which makes that approach more difficult. Until I can get a shed built in the backyard my available wallspace is consumed by crap that I would like to get out in the shed.

I don't have any pics at the moment, but all of my wall outlets in the shop are 5 foot above the floor. As several tools sit in front of those outlets I put in child safety covers over the unused outlets to keep the dust out. Especially with the miter saw which blows the dust pretty strongly to the back. I'm still completing the set up of my new shop so nothing else new for ideas to report here, but enjoy seeing your ideas.
                Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
                  Please be honest with this. Why is it that whenever I see a photo of someone's shop it looks like an army barracks just before a Saturday morning inspection. Most of the time my shop is a dusty mess and I would be embarassed to show a photograph of any part. Is everyone cleaning their shop just before the pics are taken or is everyone really neat? Or at least neater than me?
                  I keep my shop clean 90% of the time.

Comment

I plan on building the sled for resawing on the BS in WOOD. I will send the pic's when done. As for the dirty (opps, I mean dusty) shop, I agree. I try to clean up after working, but lets be real. It doen't happen half as often as we should. And one more thing, are we showing our nice shop jigs, or is this a RIDGID promotion? I see alot of Ridgid tools. LOL

Comment

I'd love to see any jigs/additions from everyone's shops regardless of whether they are RIDGID or not.

Comment

"...Only thing that kills me is she will come out and clean while I am working on something and then I end up feeling a bit guilty creating a further mess! Oh well, it gives us something else to do together!..."

That is going a little too far. I couldn't put up with that for sure. I keep my shop and the entire garage clean. I usually clean up at the end of each session picking up the majority of the dust and debris and put tools back where they belong (cause that's the only way I can find them again).

On the weekend I will take an hour and do a complete cleanup. Empty trash cans, the DC bags, blow the dust out of tools, etc.

Since my shop must also serve as my finishing space, I try not to let dust build up on surfaces around the shop.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ernurse View Post
                          I plan on building the sled for resawing on the BS in WOOD. I will send the pic's when done. As for the dirty (opps, I mean dusty) shop, I agree. I try to clean up after working, but lets be real. It doen't happen half as often as we should. And one more thing, are we showing our nice shop jigs, or is this a RIDGID promotion? I see alot of Ridgid tools. LOL
                          duh...go figure. Its not that showing off other brands would get you banned here...but then...nothing wrong witd Ridgid ?!
                          http://www.reconditioned-power-tools.com

Comment

Working...
                          X