X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request for Advice: Ridgid or Not Ridgid

I was getting ready to purcase the TS3650 ($597) but then found I could get $400 in gift cards for Home Depot by redeeming my American Express Rewards points. So now I'm wondering if i should use those gift cards as a "discount" toward another historically more expensive brand, or acquire the TS3650 for $197?
    If you had $400 to use towards a new table saw, would you buy Ridgid or use it to get a different brand? The way I see it, either way...I WIN!!! [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Cut it, drill it, pound it...period.

If they are HD gift cards, you can only use them at the BOB. That being the case, you can only buy a Ridgid TS, or did I miss something?
    Bill

Comment

I love my 3612 - and have no desire to upgrade to something that even costs hundreds of dollars more.

The 3650 is the successor to the 3612. There are certainly some improvements (like dust collection and miter track), and some very good things were preserved (like the rip fence). But other things were changed (like the motor and legs) so the jury is still out on whether the 3650 is as good as or an improvement over the 3612.

Comment

BillAMJ

They are HD gift cards. I can use them only at HD. However, I think HD can special order any saw I want.

PS: What's BOB???

Comment

BOB - Big Orange Box... As far as their being able to order any saw you want, I would double check on that before I got my heart set on any one saw. My understanding, and I could be wrong, is that they only do business with Ryobi and Ridgid for saws.
          Bill

Comment

BOB=Big Orange Box (also known as home depot). I own the 3650 and like it a lot. I recommend it. You can use some of your savings for a finishing blade, dado set, etc. Just my 2 cents worth. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
            Lorax
            Lorax
            "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

I just purchased a table saw yesterday. Replaced an old Craftsman who's fence was driving me nuts. I almost bought the Ridgid 3650. It's a nice looking tool. The company is quite innovative. However, I opted to buy a Powermatic 64A instead. Primarily because of its' fence. It's also built like a tank. You get what you pay for, and I'd guess for 600 bucks you get the most bang for your buck with the ridgid. Although, I'd guess that sometime down the line you'll be frustrated with a dual locking fence. also the rails are soft aluminum. I was concerned that bumping them would bend the fence rails. The Powermatic also has a lifetime warranty currently. Started at the 500 dollar range, and ended up paying 900 dollars uggh... lol. But If I had to do it all over again, I'd buy the same exact saw. If you have the chance to visit one of these or see some beismeyer and incra fances. you'll better understand. Also using other fences lets you appreciate a good fence. I have a saw that will last me a lifetime and can run with any competing saw in it's class in all categories.

BTW, this Site is very helpful. Thanks to all that contribute

Comment

Almost forgot. I paid 90 dollars less with 10 % discount. Keep in touch with local wood / equiptment stores. Have deals all the time. Paid $810

Comment

I bought the 3650 a month ago, love it. Dollar for dollar you cannot beat it. I have not had any problems, the legs work for me. Unless you are doing the twist with it, has not been a problem. For the deal you are getting, I would not think twice. Maybe if I were making a living with it, maybe not.
                  SCWood

Comment

Thanks for the advice...I'm going RIDGID! Christmas may come early for me.

Comment

I had some issues with the 3650 but except for the leg twist I am pleased with the saw. As to the power issue, I was able to case a blade to start to warp (marathon 40t) during resawing and the motor did not slow down. This would have stalled my old sears saw with the emerson motor it had(1970's). I have it wired the 3650 for 220v. The rear lock issue is a preference because some feel that it a better design, my neighbor has a unisaw with bies. and if you push on the rear of the fence you can move it when it is locked(very slight). I have tried that on the ridgid and it does not move. The powermatic 64 also does not have a TEFC motor, the Jet does but is right tilt. Ridgid support has come thru for me on number of times and if I do not get the help I need at first, I ask for a supervisor. My neighbor has used my saw and was very impressed.

Comment

I learned something. I thought my motor was TEFC. After checking some websites, not sure it is, need to contact my dealer. They have lifetime warranties for now ( don't know how long that will last ) so I'm not going to worry about it. Main reason I chose saw was for the fence though. And once it's set, front and back are tight as a ROCK. Need a hammer to move it.. lol

Thanks

Jake

Comment

I have only fiddled with a display model of the 3650, but it seems to be a pretty big improvement over my old TS 2424, which I recently sold in order to purchase a used DeWalt 746. I got a great deal on the 746 and consider it to be a significant, not substantial, improvement over my 2424. However, I had added a 52" Home Shop Biesemeyer fence system and Dubby miter sled to my 2424. The 36" rip capacity, t-slots, beveled front edge, and more substantial rip fence are some of the more obvious improvements over the standard 2424. I really doubt anyone can find a better value than that of the 3650. Unless someone runs a saw all day, or needs additional rip capacity, or cuts a lot of 8/4" material, I really don't see anything on the market that is really close to the value you get from the 3650. Heck, you even get a mobile base included in the retail price, whereas most ts mobile bases run about $100.

Comment

I generally try not to whine about manufacturer's customer service departments, but this is ridiculous. I bought a TS3612 back in September on clearance at HD. Put it together, dialed it in and discovered that the arbor assy was damaged at the factory. Called Ridgid for a replacement and was told I had to wait until December as it was on backorder. Called them today to see what was up. Chipper customer service rep informed me that now it is on backorder until sometime in March. Six months for a replacement part? I am running with the damaged arbor but the blade runs out .015-.020. Okay for garage shelves, but not any real woodworking.

I am coming to believe that "backorder" is a Ridgid codeword for "ignore and they'll go away." This will be my first and last Ridgid tool purchase.

Comment

You didn't say how the arbor was damaged-----do hope it's nothing that can come flying off or cause further damage by running it.

I wish we had our old Ridgid experts to help. Wish someone could tell you if its the same as Sears sells for the old Emerson saw----I'd keep bugging them and refer them to this thread or post on every other ww'ing forum----see U.O. Woody's bandsaw motor tale.
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X