X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router extension on 3650 ?

Hi all. I've noticed some great looking router extensions on the 3650 but have a question. Do you attach the extensions tko the rails? If so are you afraid of the weight of the router, extension and work twisting the rails or throwing them out of alignment? The reason I ask is because I spend time to make sure my miter slot, fence and blade are all in alignment and I'd hate to have to constantly check it because of the router extension.

Thanks in advance...

Re: Router extension on 3650 ?

I attached mine to the fence rails and have had no problems. The only concern is the weight on the table extension causing it to bow, but nothing yet. It's been on since last December. As far as checking alignment, it's not a bad idea to check once in a while anyway. Hope this helps...
    If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

I also attached mine to the rails. I've been warned by others that the weight might cause the rails to bow and therefore should consider adding support legs. However, I don't leave the router in the table when I'm not using it. Also, I added a 90 degree aluminum angle along the side of the extension and plan to drill into the right cast iron leaf to bolt the extension to it prior to securing the rails to the extension. My theory of bolting it to the right wing is that it will relieve some, if not all, of the burden from the added weight attributed to the rails. It makes sense to me, the left and right wing (much heavier than my extension) are attached to the table in the same fashion and rails to them. I don't see the extension being bolted to the wing first then the rails any different. Now this doesn't mean I'm right, I have been known to be wrong. Let's hope not. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.
      No, the half of the missing finger was not power tool related.

Comment

sandking -

I'd recommend some kind of support. Even though it's not much weight without the router in the table, it probably doesn't take much force to flex the rails either. And a router is going to be in the table some of the time... I also supported the router table at the saw wing extension. Here's how I supported the router table extension in a way that still allows the saw to be moved around on the HercuLift: Click Me.

- djb
        sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

Here is my implementation of an out feed table and router table for a 3650.
          (outfeed and router table insert.jpg).

This is my first try, so the temporary table pieces are polyurethaned MDF to prove the concept and will be replaced later with lighter, stronger, stuff such as melamine faced plywood. The support frame for the out feed table was originally made of wood to prove the concept and worked well for over a year in the shop. I recycled the original MDF flip up section and adapted it to fit the new steel rails.

The table frame outer edges are braced to the 3650 lower frame – the entire unit can be moved via the hercu-lift and set down on the floor for use. For extra heavy use I am considering removable legs to further brace the outside edges to the floor when needed.

The router table frame is not attached to or supported by the rip fence rails. This eliminates the possibility of the weight of a router and the table from distorting the rip fence rails.
          (router table frame – no attachment to fence rail.jpg)

Full flip up/down out feed table pivots on a lag bolt which also moves back and forth in the slots cut into the side rails. This makes for easier removal and replacement of the blade guard when the table is in the down position or pulled back slightly when in the up position. (outfeed table up position.jpg)

No tools are needed to swing the out feed table into position, swing up the rear, push the out feed table towards the front of the saw table and drop the underside locking dowel into a mating hole in the steel frame. Insert the support leg onto the lower support (I added a wooden cross support to the rear legs of the saw table) and rear out feed table rail. (In the down position, the support leg is stored in a cross table support under the table and is held on the support by the saw motor and gravity. See router table frame – no attachment to fence rail.jpg for table in down position).

The out feed support frames were made with 1/8” by 2” welding angle. The router table support rails were made with 1/8” by 1 ½” welding angle. Welding angle is available in most hardware stores and is easily worked with drills and hacksaw blades to cut slots for the table pivots. I do not have a welder so all connections are made with ¼ - 20 RHMS, split washers and nuts.

The out feed table supports attach to the saw table edges. The left support is attached to the table edge. The right side support has a cutout for the rip fence rail reinforced with a piece of welding angle on the underside. (reinforcement of right outfeed rail under rip fence rail.jpg). I removed the cast iron extension, inserted the support rail and reinstalled the cast iron extension sandwiching the rail between the cast iron.

The router table rails are bolted to the bottom of the right out feed rail. The router table frame inner ends are supported by angle braces at the right cast iron table extension. The braces share the table extension bolts. (connection of inner router rail to table extension.jpg)

The router table does replace the rod that keeps the right side of the rip fence rails from distorting inward when the fence is locked down. If the front to back dimension of the router table is insufficient, a shim can be placed between the front rip fence rail and the front edge of the router table.

The router table has ¾” by 1 ¼” plywood reinforcements set into ¾” wide by ¼” deep slots in the MDF aligned with the steel rails and the left and right edges of the MDF. The outer edges are trimmed with fir strips screwed to the underlying plywood reinforcements.
          I have a groove in the router table with an aluminum track for using the saws miter gauge, feather boards and a future sled for cope and stick cuts. Directly under this track, I placed a 1 ½” wide plywood reinforcement.

The four corners of the router table have leveling screws threaded through the steel frame with copper bearings (pennies) glued in the underside of the table frame. Adjacent to the levelers are wood screws through the steel frame into the router table frame to lock the level after adjustments are made. They also keep the router table from shifting during use.

So far these additions are working well for me and allow me to move the saw anywhere in my small shop for use and back against the wall for small cutting jobs and for storage.
          Attached Files

Comment

Wow, billmoy, that's a treatise you wrote there!

Nice looking work. An out feed table will probably be my next addition.
            One question: doesn't the single center support under the router table interfere with the router?

- djb
            sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

Just clears my Bosch, but I am planning a second support. Will use this one as a template.

I was trying to anticipate any questions so that is why it was so wordy.

Comment

Make sure you cut your melamine or whatever you use for the router table make sure it is exactly 27" and square. It should fit between the rails snug but you should not have to force it in. After you put it in between the rails, check to make sure the rails are still lined up and everything is still square.

There are a lot of people on here who have done this.
                There are several different way to add legs to it. On mine I put an "adjustable" leg on each side of the long edge or the melamine. The legs on mine are made like RPrice54 did his, but they are in a different spot. I leave my router in it all the time. I check every time I use it and have noticed no sag in the table or the rails.

Comment

Working...
                X