Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Bosch 4100 vs Ridgid TS2400

Hi Everyone,
    I've been a very happy owner of a Ridgid TS2400 benchtop saw for about two years now. When I was first looking for a benchtop saw, I compared the TS2400 with the Bosch 4000. The Ridgid won, due to its much better fence, larger table surface, and over all more robust build.

But it has always bugged me that the TS2400 does not have a riving knife. This is one feature I did like better on the Bosch 4000.

Well, it looks like Bosch is launching another challenge here with the introduction of their 4100 saw, which has a great riving knife and other improved features.

My question is, would it be difficult for Ridgid to incorporate a riving knife into the TS2400? It seems they will need to do this to stay competitive.

I'm confident that if Ridgid would add these features to their TS2400, it would be far and away better than the Bosch.

So why don't they do it?

Re: New Bosch 4100 vs Ridgid TS2400

i know this is a dusty old thread, but this one hits home for me. I am considering purchasing one of these saws and I am leaning towards the Bosch because of the riving knife. Is this that desirable a feature, or is the ridgid just as capable?

Comment

You could make your own insert and then fit it with a splitter

Note: for 90º rip cuts only

I'm one who doesn't use the guard or riving knifes because for me they tend to get in the way.... however the splitter noted above is a very useful lil gadget that works very well.
      Zero clearance inserts also go a long way toward providing saftey and you'll more then likely need one for a dadoe set down the road as well.

I've owned a TS2400 for a couple of years and find it a great asset. I have no doubt that the Bosch saw is a fine piece of equipment as well.
      For me it came down to price, fence and cart. YMMV
      Last edited by jbergstrom; 09-18-2007, 08:37 PM.
      Cheers! - Jim
      -------------
      All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

jbergstrom:

I'm a little confused: the 2400 already has a splitter, and it tilts with the blade. Why put the pop-in splitter in the zero-clearance insert in it, since it is stationary and does not tilt?

The Bosch's riving knife is a good feature because, like all true riving knives, it is curved over and close to the back of the blade no matter how high the blade is raised. European saws have had the feature for a long time, and I think most American companies are now starting to design their saws with riving knives (Jet, Steel City, Grizzly, and SawStop definitely).

Retrofitting a riving knife into a saw with a regular old splitter is not an option without refitting a whole new trunnion system. A splitter is a good device for preventing dangerous kick-back, but a riving knife is better. And blade guards also add some protection from kick-back and and can safeguard straying hands. (Come see the scars on my foolish fingers.)
        Joe Spear

Comment

So, is it worth the extra money to get the Bosch over the Rigdid? I'm new to woodworking, and the wife and I are concerned about safety. I'm not going to be doing anything heavy duty, but I will pay for quality and safety, if its really worth it. The Ridgid looks like a great saw, and from what I've read its almost neck and neck with the Bosch 4000 (not sure how the 4100 compares, I would imagine the same). Bottom line...money out of the equation, is the Bosch better?

Comment

Maybe you could find out where to see both saws in action. Ask on some of the other woodworking forums, and maybe you could find somebody close to you who has one or the other that you could go see. I used to have a Bosch 4000 and loved it. However, it was too small for what I wanted to do in woodworking, and I moved on to a Ridgid 3612 and then a Jet cabinet saw.

The Ridgid 2400 table is slightly larger (31 1/2" x 21" vs. 29" x 21 1/2" for the Bosch), but that is not a significant difference. Both saws are light because they have aluminum tables instead of cast iron, a disadvantage if you want to use magnetic featherboards. The Bosch 4100 has a riving knife, an arbor lock for easier blade changing (not a real big deal), a t-slot miter slot (which I like because the 4000 didn't have that, and my miter gauge kept flopping down if I pulled it out too far) , and a digital readout for the fence distance. The gravity rise stand is a great piece of engineering, but it adds around $100 to the cost. Left-side and rear table extensions are available, but, again, at added cost. The magazine reviews like both saws, some giving an edge to the Ridgid and some to the Bosch. Both have good motor power.

The Ridgid also has the t-slot and a very good fence. It also has wheels already on it, so you don't have to buy another stand. I don't think there are real safety differences in the two saws, as long as you follow the rules and use your blade guard and splitter or riving knife assemblies. The Ridgid is cheaper.

You couldn't really go wrong with either one, except if you had to miss a week of meals if you paid more for the Bosch.
            Joe Spear

Comment

Originally posted by stavs View Post
              So, is it worth the extra money to get the Bosch over the Rigdid? I'm new to woodworking, and the wife and I are concerned about safety. I'm not going to be doing anything heavy duty, but I will pay for quality and safety, if its really worth it. The Ridgid looks like a great saw, and from what I've read its almost neck and neck with the Bosch 4000 (not sure how the 4100 compares, I would imagine the same). Bottom line...money out of the equation, is the Bosch better?
              Both saws are very good examples of portable jobsite saws. Which is best is a matter of opinion, so check them both out and go with whichever YOU like best.

FWIW, a riving knife and a splitter essentially perform the same function. A RK is a more elegant solution, and considered safer primarily because it's more likely to be in use as it rarely needs to be removed and doesn't get in the way as much. If both were used 100% of the time, both would have similar performance results. While a RK is often in closer proximity to the blade, most boards won't close the kerf less than inch past the blade, so that aspect more of a "theoretical" advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Spear View Post
                jbergstrom:

I'm a little confused: the 2400 already has a splitter, and it tilts with the blade. Why put the pop-in splitter in the zero-clearance insert in it, since it is stationary and does not tilt?
                As mentioned I prefer to work without the gaurd and splitter, but the pop in splitter is a handy thing when you're doing lots of ripping etc. Most rip cuts will probably be @ 90º so the fact it doesn't tilt won't be much of a problem.

Originally posted by Joe Spear View Post
                The Bosch's riving knife is a good feature because, like all true riving knives, it is curved over and close to the back of the blade no matter how high the blade is raised. European saws have had the feature for a long time, and I think most American companies are now starting to design their saws with riving knives (Jet, Steel City, Grizzly, and SawStop definitely).
                I would prefer a riving knife to a splitter but not enough to choose the Bosch over the Ridgid. If I had the Bosch I would strip the anti kickback fingers and the gaurd off of the riving knife and use it by itself, but in reality I would probably remove it as well and go with the zero clearance insert with the pop in splitter for lots of 90º ripping.

For me the cart on the TS2400 seemed much sturdier. I also liked the fence a lot better, though I see the new Bosch fence is now slotted as well. I see there is also a digital fence readout available now too... I wonder how accurate it is? The Ridgid has a built in tape that moves with the table... However I find that I do most of my fence setting by hand with my tape measure and a tooth on the blade that faces the fence... in two positions, when tooth just comes into view and when it just disappears from view (old habits die hard I guess)
                These saws both use soft start 15 amp motors that are equally capable and like I said I have no doubt that the Bosch is a fine machine. I would look for sales and choose the best deal knowing that you can't go wrong with either saw.
                Last edited by jbergstrom; 09-22-2007, 06:59 PM. Reason: spelling
                Cheers! - Jim
                -------------
                All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

I have had the Ridgid TS2400 for several years now and I love it.

Comment

Anyone know if any deals are coming up on this saw? I have a 10% off at lowes that I'm hoping they will match, and want to get the best price.

Comment

Working...
                    X