Excited...but getting frustrated

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excited...but getting frustrated

So last Monday(4/09) I took advantage of the HD tool sale and purchased a new TS3650 and a Ridgid 16 gallon shop vac. I got $125 off at the register. I had just opened up a HD card over the internet, to get the 10% off, and asked the customer service rep over the phone if I could take the 10% off on top of the $125 and they assured me I could. So I went to HD and tried to find the saw. After talking to several people at HD it became painfully obvious that my pre-purchase research made me a whole lot more educated about this saw than anyone at the store. They couldn't really answer any of my questions about it. Then they looked for 20 minutes and came back and told me they were sold out but tried desperately to sell me the floor demo. No way....I wanted a new saw, untouched, in the box. I should have left right then and found another HD. Finally the manager said he would sell me a new saw and just put it in their order for will call. He told me he had a shipment coming in "in two days." When we got to the register I asked them about the additional 10% off for using the new card...they told me they wouldn't do that. I was a little upset at that but still thrilled to be getting a new saw in TWO days and getting $25 off on top of a "free" $100 shop vac. I've called everyday since last Wednesday and they keep telling me it's still not in. I ended up going back in and finding the manager that sold me the saw. I even asked him if I could just pick it up at another store. He told me that normally I could but to be totally honest with me there was a problem and he didn't know what was going on. He showed me his computer that showed that every HD in Northeast Ohio was sold out. He then showed me another screen that showed that there were (269) TS3650's on backorder in all of NE Ohio and not a single one had been shipped since last week when they were promised to be in. He said that corporate had no answers for him to explain the problem. Sorry so long....just a rant against a disheartening situation. I'm relatively new to woodworking and so excited about my new saw I can hardly stand it. BTW- the "experts" on this forum was one of the leading factors that led to my decision to purchase this particular saw and I thank all of you for that.

On a more positive note, after my purchase I got home and called the service rep that I talked to when I applied for the HD card. I explained that the local HD wouldn't give me the additional 10% off and that I was told I could get it when I applied for my card. The rep was very apologetic and gave me the additional 10% off in their system. I did check the account the next day online and sure enough the rep did come through with the 10%.

Re: Excited...but getting frustrated

Hello g0tribe, and welcome to the forum.

I think that you will enjoy woodworking and will be able to learn a lot from this forum. I have been on it for about two years and have found the members very helpful and knowledgeable.

Sorry to hear about your 3650 being delayed but let me assure you that it is worth the wait. I am very happy with mine. It went together very well and all of the adjustments were right on. The splitter assembly can be tricky to adjust but there is a thread on this site that you can search for.

It appears to me that Home Depot is going through a painful reorganization since their CEO resigned a few month ago. Some of the articles in the business magazines indicate that it may take time for things to improve, but don't get discouraged.

Keep pressure on the manager, become the squeeky wheel that gets the grease.

Again, Welcome!

Comment

Welcome to the forums, g0tribe!

I hope your saw comes in soon. As Billmoy said, squeek loud and often at HD and they should come through for you. Keep us posted on how you're doing.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by g0tribe View Post
        He showed me his computer that showed that every HD in Northeast Ohio was sold out. He then showed me another screen that showed that there were (269) TS3650's on backorder in all of NE Ohio and not a single one had been shipped since last week when they were promised to be in. He said that corporate had no answers for him to explain the problem.
        Me thinks this bears watching.

When HD has 269 backordered I suspect something is up.

End of relationship between Ridgid and HD?

New product line?

Combine this with HD's decision to replace the physical display or the machines with pictures I think something is in the wind.

Perhaps Ridgid is applying pressure to get HD to put the machines back on display.

To me 269 is too big of a back order to simply dismiss as a hold up somewhere.

Some other people have mentioned that they have been getting machines that are slightly out of spec, things like binding when trying to crank in bevel, fence holes not lining up, etc. Perhaps Ridgid shut down the line to fix quality control.

Like I said something is in the wind.
        Rev Ed

Comment

Well my experiences with Home Depot and managers lately haven't always been the best but tonight I made a friend (until he gets transfered). I happened to have a good HD experience on Saturday and decided to push my luck. I explained that was wondering in I could exchange my 2400LS for the 3650 since it kept bogging down with purpleheart. After waiting for the manager to come back from vacation he was very helpful and allowed me to pay the $50 difference since the 3650 is now $499!!!! I thanked him with a pen I turned recently.

I also tried to negotiate a discount for my woodworking club and I think that is working as well. He explained I would need to speak to the store manager but those things used to need to go to corporate but it seems like the new captain is letting the local stores keep customers happy!!! I'll keep an open mind and make friends.

Comment

Thanks for the welcomes and replies everyone... here's the latest update. They (HD) called me yesterday afternoon and said no new one's had come in but they again tried to get me to take the floor model. I again refused. They then mentioned they had "found one in the back" that they didn't notice before and told me I could come get it. So last evening I went to customer service and they gave me my pickup slip for will call. I then went to the contractors desk and waited 20 minutes for someone to finally say....ok we found the saw, pull the truck around. They wheeled it out and my eyes popped out of my head. The table saw bow was dented and broke open on three sides and taped shut. The rail box looked like it had been run over by a tow motor and both ends of that box were blown out. I denied the saw... several times I was told I couldn't deny it because they already "delivered it through the computer. I wouldn't let them load it. So they sent me to customer service to get it put back on will call. Again I was told that they would prefer me taking it home and just returning what parts I thought were damaged. NO! They made me wait a good 45 minutes at customer service before someone finally came along that "knew how to put it back into will call." Supposedly they have 2 new ones coming in on Tuesday.

Thanks again for all the previous replies. I know this thread wasn't anything you could answer or help me with. I was just trying to see if anyone else was having this trouble.

Comment

Thanks for the welcomes and replies everyone... here's the latest update. They (HD) called me yesterday afternoon and said no new one's had come in but they again tried to get me to take the floor model. I again refused. They then mentioned they had "found one in the back" that they didn't notice before and told me I could come get it. So last evening I went to customer service and they gave me my pickup slip for will call. I then went to the contractors desk and waited 20 minutes for someone to finally say....ok we found the saw, pull the truck around. They wheeled it out and my eyes popped out of my head. The table saw bow was dented and broke open on three sides and taped shut. The rail box looked like it had been run over by a tow motor and both ends of that box were blown out. I denied the saw... several times I was told I couldn't deny it because they already "delivered it through the computer. I wouldn't let them load it. So they sent me to customer service to get it put back on will call. Again I was told that they would prefer me taking it home and just returning what parts I thought were damaged. NO! They made me wait a good 45 minutes at customer service before someone finally came along that "knew how to put it back into will call." Supposedly they have 2 new ones coming in on Tuesday.

Thanks again for all the previous replies. I know this thread wasn't anything you could answer or help me with. I was just trying to see if anyone else was having this trouble.

I hope you intend to copy excerpts of this experienced that you have posted here and forward it to Home Depot HQ. This is turning into another HD horror story and you have far more patience than I do.
              I wonder if Ridgid ever reads these posts and shakes their head. You would think someone in Ridgid would contact someone in HD HQ and together they would get the manager in HD your dealing with and ask him 'what he was thinking". Simply amazing!
              Rev Ed

Comment

Why do we keep going back to The Home Depot when they abuse their customers? Why not just everyone STOP buying stuff from them? We do have other choices for most of what we need.

What would you do if you went to a restaurant and were shown great disrespect by everyone working there? What would you do when they demanded you pay for your meal even though it was obviously made out of old roadkill? What would you do if the rest rooms were worse than inside a barn just after all the animals had pooped? Would you even dream of going back to that hell hole of a restaurant? ... NO WAY ... So why do we keep going back to The Home Depot? Something doesn't seem right about this at all.

For more horror stories about how customers get abused when they attempt to do business with The Home Depot, just prowl about this forum.

In years gone by I actually liked The Home Depot, but as of today they have received less of my $$$ in the past year than what I used to spend in a week there. I'm sick of them and have found other places to buy stuff from. You can too.

Could it be that all of this is really just a bad dream and that The Home Depot really is a fine place with great customer service and where everything is in stock and the place is nice and clean? If it is a dream then how come loads of people are dreaming the same dream over and over again? Hmmmmm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                g0tribe,

Unless the new ones they get in are in perfect condition with no bash markes on the box, REFUSE to buy one. If by some chance they get your money, take action to get it all back and do so fast. You had to earn that money and a table saw is something you can't just return without first having loads of work to do. You can't just pick it up and carry it into the store. Buy with care. You have earned a perfect, non defective and non banged up table saw. Demand it.
                Last edited by Woussko; 04-21-2007, 11:25 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Woussko;76133]Why do we keep going back to The Home Depot when they abuse their customers? Why not just everyone STOP buying stuff from them? We do have other choices for most of what we need.

I do that already. If it can be purchased anywhere else, I do it. Had WAY to many shouting matches at HD. The Assistant manager here isn't too bad, but he's not always around.
                  ...if only there was a Rockler store that was closer than two hours...
                  ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

I know this thread wasn't anything you could answer or help me with. I was just trying to see if anyone else was having this trouble.
                    g0tribe, I feel your pain. No one likes to be jerked around. It is unfortunate that you seem to hit a snake den of incompetent and/ or uncaring employees.

I have to say, my experiences with the HD's in Las Vegas have most always been very favorable. The couple of negative experiences I had were limited to a floor person who seemed preoccupied with something else.

I when to my local HD on April 4th during the tool event. They had the 3650, but were out of stock on the B&D drill I wanted to buy. The tool guy very graciously offered to look in the computer for another HD that had the drill. After searching for over 20 minutes, he found a HD on the other side of Vegas with both the drill (2 in stock) and the saw. I went to the other HD and the tool guy there had to hunt all the upper storage shelves for the drill because none were on the floor. Agian, he was most helpful. Then he got another store employee to help me load the 3650 into the back of my SUV.

Later that evening after the battery had charged for the drill, I discovered the chuck was way off center and wobbled. I did not measure it with my dial indicator, but it had to be off about .015" - .020". The next day I went back to my local HD, not the same HD I bought the saw and drill from. I asked to return it for another drill. Even though I had bought everything at another HD, they were again very accommodating. The return desk woman said it was no problem, she had seen the same problem with the B&D chuck wobble several times before. After hearing that, I decided to buy a different drill made by another manufacturer. By coincidence, the Ridgid rep was in the tool area and convinced me to by the Ridgid 18 volt 1/2" drill/driver combo promo pack. He said for $189 it was a heck of a deal. When I went to pay, the return desk was unable to process my payment because my original purchase was at another store. She sent me to the customer service desk where the woman there was extremely helpful and friendly (a hotty, too). She remained so even though it took her a good 20 minutes to straighten out my messy transaction and still give me the $125 off.

Twelve days later I read on this forum that HD had lowered the price of the 3650 from $549 to $499. So again, I went back to my local HD, explained the situation to the return desk employee and showed her my receipt. She made one 30 second phone call to verify she could give me $50 back AND my $125 discount. In about three minutes I was walking out the door with an extra $50 in my pocket. I left HD feeling very good about how helpful everyone was that I had come in contact with. I was feeling good I had saved another $50 by simply asking.

I ended up saving $175 at HD PLUS getting a $100 gift card from American Express for charging over $500. It was an offer I spotted and immediately applied for because I knew I would be buying the 3650. In a manner of speaking, I netted out a $275 savings for waiting for the right time to make my purchase.

My experience with my local HD, compared to Lowes, is I find it very easy to get help at any of the Las Vegas Home Depots, and much more difficult to get help at Lowes. At Lowes, about the only employees you can find are at the checkouts.

Try to be a bit more patient for your 3650. Once you start using it, you will agree it was worth the wait and the hassle.

As it turns out, the chuck on my new Ridgid 1/2" drill if off center .007" and wobbles. This time I mounted the drill in a vice and measured it with a dial indicator. The chuck wobbles and so does a drill bit by the same amount. It seems B&D is not the only one with a quality control issue. I called Ridgid Tech Support and the rep said .007" was not acceptable and I should exchange the drill. So, now I need to go back to HD again. But, I'd like to find out when the Ridgid rep will be there again so he can help me get a replacement that does not have the wobble.

Comment

This whole thing sounds more like buying crap at Harbor Freight than Ridgid at HD! LOL

Comment

"Me thinks this bears watching.

When HD has 269 backordered I suspect something is up. "

OR - it could be that the one ship that these 269 saws and hundreds of other items on it held up in customs or for some other reason has not even made it to the dock yet.
                        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                          "Me thinks this bears watching.

When HD has 269 backordered I suspect something is up. "

OR - it could be that the one ship that these 269 saws and hundreds of other items on it held up in customs or for some other reason has not even made it to the dock yet.
                          Bob
                          Yeah it could be a shipping problem but there is a alot of unanswered questions. First Ryobi (same company) pulls their saw out of HD but puts a improved model into Sears. Then Hd starts pulling all the Ridgid displays and begins putting up picture instead. How we see a 269 on back order. Another 3650 price cut making it I think 2 within the past year.

As I see it, it could be a shipping problem.
                          But I think something is up. Perhaps a new model??????
                          Perhaps a parting of the way for Ridgid and HD ????????
                          Perhaps a product shift, Ridgid hand tools, Ryobi standalones or vice versa????
                          Let us watch and see if any more evidence turns up. I remember things very similar to this taking place right before Ridgid announced the 3650.

Remember the flow of hybreds that have hit the market in the past couple of years combine that with Delta's new contractor saw, and some other brands and you have Ridgid having to do something to keep their market share.
                          Rev Ed

Comment

VegasGuy

I wonder if the problem is defective spindles or poorly made chucks. I have run into a few bad chucks and the easy fix (for me that is) is to replace them with a better quality chuck. When it's time to retire the drill I remove and keep the good chuck so I can install it on another drill if needed.

If you still have any of the drills with major runout issues, you might try removing the chuck and use your dial indicator to check the spindle.

Comment

Well, I will interject my own confusion. I was in our local HD yesterday to pick up some fenceposts. Took a quick pass by the tool section and saw a big sign over the TS3650 at its "New Low Price" of $439!! Then right next to it was another saw with yet another large sign over it stating "New Ridgid Table Saw With Improved Cab Forward Design" with a price tag of $566. I stopped to look and certainly could not find a single difference between the two. Not sure if it was a rep mistake, HD mistake or my eyes are failing me.

Either way $439 is a pretty decent price for that table saw IMHO. I was thinking how odd it seemed to me that a contractor table saw could run for that price, but I took a quick look at the SCMS and they pretty much started at $500 and up. But what do I know about these things...
                              Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Working...
                              X