X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which pin nailer?

Does anyone have experience with 23 gauge pin nailers? I know bostich, PC, and a handful of others make them; I'm looking for opinions so that i can make an informed decision. An important feature for me to have is tool-less jam access. Not sure if its available on pin nailers or not.
    Last edited by franklin pug; 04-18-2007, 09:41 PM.

Re: which pin nailer?

I have the senco. You need a allen wrench to free jams but I have yet to have one, and I have put between 5-10,000 pins through it. I like it a lot but I know that some others have better features like not having to adjust the clip for different pin sizes etc. I also know that at least one company, grex i think, can take pins up to 1 7/8" rather than the more common 1" max that the senco has but it is much more expensive.

Truthfully senco was not my first choice, I had heard/read that people had problems with it not sinking the pins all the way, but I have never had that problem. I am sure to oil it every time I take it out and I know the guy who had complaints with his does not. My best suggestion, Franklin, is to go to Amazon and check out the feedback on each of your top choices. As I recall there were TONS of opinions on each of the pin guns I was considering. I ended up getting the senco in a kit with the one gallon compressor because the deal I got on ebay made it too good to pass up. Even though it was not my first choice and even with the few drawbacks I mentioned I love it and it has served me very well.

This is one of my very favorite tools, I think you will be very happy with what a pinner can do. I use it on finished trim all the time and it is awesome--never splits anything and leaves a mark less than a thumb-tack. I even use it to hold up my plastic dust barrier on painted ceilings by shooting through 1/4" ply scraps and you can never tell it was there.
    A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

I like the Porter-Cable. As far as the longer pins, I wouldn't go any longer than 1 3/16 since the 23GA pins are weak and blow out so easily.

Comment

Here is the manual for the Porter Cable pin nailer.
        Attached Files
        SSG, U.S. Army
        Retired
        K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

My demand for using a pin nailer is pretty low so I opted out for the Harbor Freight Model 93656. It doesn't have a tool less jam feature but so far I've yet to have a jam or a misfire for that matter. It goes on sale fairly often for $19.00.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

We have several PC headless pinners around the shop and they work nice. Weve also gotten a few Bostich in and they are nice, no complaints with either

Comment

I have never heard of a pin nailer before. Is the value of a pin nailer based on the fact that it shoots smaller 23 ga. pins relative to that of the 18 ga. nails from a brad nailer?
              Last edited by Tom W; 04-21-2007, 09:06 PM. Reason: added line

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
                I have never heard of a pin nailer before. Is the value of a pin nailer based on the fact that it shoots smaller 23 ga. pins relative to that of the 18 ga. nails from a brad nailer?
                Yes. The pins are so small it leaves very little visible mark in the wood to fill and there is very little chance of splitting the work. I use it on pre-finished trim and even that foil wrapped mdf crap in white or antique white or fake wood grain and you really can hardly see the hole. They hold pretty good too though not near as well as 18, 16, or 15 gauge obviously.
                A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

I have the Senco that came paired with the compressor, like woodenstickers, and it is great. It has never jambed, through thousands of pins. My brother has an Accuset, which was made by Senco. I have an Accuset 18ga brad nailer that I bought many years ago. I think Senco has dropped this line though. They were good quality tools at a more "homeowner" price point. Maybe they thought they were under-cutting themselves?

Anyway, I like the Senco despite the non-automatic sizing. It is a simple slide mechanism, and how often do you need to change it anyway?
                  Also be aware that most of the 23ga micro-pinners do not have a saftey button/pin near the point where the nail shoots. This cuts down on marring and having to push to shoot the nail. Some of the newer models do have a double trigger mechanism though...

Comment

I use the Harbor frieght brad nailer . im not real happy with the safety bar though. I think i will purchase a new one with a better safety bar. Safety bar i mean is the one on end where staples/brads comeout. it has to be depressed to let the tool work. It seems to leave to much of an indent on the wood.

Comment

An 18ge brad nailer is a whole differnt animal. "Micro pinners" use a much thinner nail that has no head to it. They are designed for small mouldings and trim along with glue. Essentially they hold the parts together/aligned until the glue dries, and since the are headless they really don't pull parts together either. you need a good fit first. The main advantage is in the delicate/smooth shooting. I have never seen a 23ga pin split anything. Since they shoot such a small hole there is very little or no filling required.

Comment

Hellcatt -

I had a similar problem with an HF nailer. Try using some of that liquid plastic "tool coat" or glue a piece of foam. I saw the former on WoodNet and I used the latter with success. That's the one drawback of their nailers -- mars the wood too much unless you use a pad. With the pad, works like a champ though.

Regards,

Mike

Comment

Or just wrap blue masking tape a few times around it...

Comment

WOW ) never thougt bout that... that works GREAT ! thxs all! im happy again and so is the wife cause she seen the fix and now i dont need to get a new tool lol !! I tried telling her its putting a band-aid on it and it didnt work lol oh well im happy it does work better now with no marks on wood.

Comment

Working...
                            X