X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3650 Motor Question

I know there are always debates on shop vacs and HP claims and it comes down to amps from what I can gather.

My question is I notice that the Ridgid 3650 is 1.5HP and and only 13 amps, should I think this is underpowered? I know a lot of folks are really happy with this saw so I ask, what are it's limitations when it comes to resawing and crosscuting for the person like me with a garage weekend shop? Can I expect it to cut 8/4 timbers nicely with upgraded blades? I have a WWII and Freud rip and combo blades in my treasure chest.

Thanks for the help.

Re: 3650 Motor Question

Personally, the biggest hardwood I've yet done with it is maple 5/4. This was done before I had the new WWII blade in the saw. At that point, I had a cheaper Dewalt combo blade in the saw. I had to push a bit slower, but it went through the wood without trouble. I got some burning from the blade, but it wasn't really caused by the saw itself.

I have some 8/4 walnut that'll be going under the saw sometime. I need a project for it first....and I need to get the bed hardware! I'm going to make a guest bed suite and that 8/4 board is going to be the bedposts!
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

If your Freud rip blade is a 24T TK, it should cut just about anything you need to at a reasonable clip. It's not likely to chew thru 3" maple like a hot knife thru butter, but it'll cut. Keep the blade clean and sharp, and keep the saw aligned and waxed.

Comment

I've run 4x4 (dimensional) treated lumber through my tablesaw and it gobbled it up happily.

I also ran some 4 x 4 red oak through and that took a lot longer, because I had to feed it slower. I pretty much only use an 80t blade, so I added 1/8" when doing the first cut, to allow for any burns, then run it through once more to just take off that 1/8". Clean cuts, no burns on the second pass. FYI, I was trimming down 4x4s to 3" x 3" for some bedposts. Got within 3/16" and then put them through the planer.

Two critical things for cuts on a very thick board: use a *precision* guage to ensure the blade is at exactly 90 degrees (Wixey!), and the alignment of the splitter, blade, and fence. With the blade at maximum height you don't get much leeway for error without risking burns or kickback.

Comment

Working...
        X