X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name That Wood

Recently purchased the TS3650. So before attacking good lumber I figure I'll have a go with some scavenged stuff.
    I travel alot for work and come across alot of industrial 'curbside' pallets. This stuff is thick and long, shows up at the curb often. Any guess as to what it might be? I'm pretty sure the one on the left is pine. The right one has a sweet smell...cherry?

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools" - Douglas Adams

Re: Name That Wood

looks like pine poplar and oak but it might be cherry
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

On the same subject, my Home Depot stocks a plywood marked "cabinet grade hardwood " and "Sandyply" Anyone know what these woods are?

Comment

My guess they are all pine. However the one in the center looks pressure treated. The one on right is heart wood and the one on left is normal pine

As for cabinet grade ply and sandply. Look at the cabinet grade it has the outside sheets veneered with oak, birch or maple. Fair wood but you probably can buy the better from a ply distributor of the same money. Check your phone book for plywood, laminate and as a last resort a couple of the cabinet shops.

Sometimes if you talk nice to the owner of cabinet shop he will order you a few sheets as you need them. Also if you get in good with him he might tell you where the best priced wood is.

Sandply is multi ply with outside ply filled and sanded. It makes good cabinet bases but you have to be careful HD has been getting stuff that warps bad.
        Rev Ed

Comment

left one is definately pine...
          center I think could be sassafras? Probably poplar as OSC said.
          Right is probably a red oak. NOT kiln-dried. Pallet wood is the scrap from the mill, before the kiln. Put a couple stickers on a heat duct and put the plank there. Check it in a year to 6 months. See what's happened
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

My first thoughts were the same as OSC's...pine, poplar, and red oak.

Comment

as well as mine
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Mostly pallets are made out of junk scraps of fur, hemlock, pine or spruce and most of it is pretty trashey stuff. I'm pretty sure they just grab up what they can get cheap at sawmills and don't really care what it is as long as they can fire staples and nails into it. One thing you might try is to cut off a small piece of each and then outdoors burn it. Compare the smell with wood that you do know the buring smell of well. Oak (especially when still pretty green) really stinks when burned. You'll know that one for sure. To me that middle one looks like poplar and the one on the left would be pine. As to the board on the right, it's a bit hard to tell. You might also try drilling all three with a SPADE type drill bit. Then use the same bit and drill on woods that you know. Oak is grabby and poplar being harder than pine or fur would be a little slower drilling.

Comment

Now I took these pictures from another forum with the same question, what wood is this? This wood has got to be one of the most gorgeous piece of wood I have ever seen, alright that sounded weird. This would be great for VASandy and her boxes. So what you all think this one is? So I'm guessing its a hardwood, maybe from Africa, or South America. Other words, I do not have a name for it. Take a shot lets see who has the knowledge of wood....
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by garager; 04-23-2007, 06:03 PM.
                  Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Wow!!! THat is way gorgeous wood!! African mahogany burl maybe? Is it really heavy and dense?
                    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I couldn't tell you Sandy, I'm trying to find out what it is so I can go after some. Somebody has got to know what it is.

Comment

Once in a great while I will make a great find like this and it sits on the shelf for several months because I keep waiting for the PERFECT project to use it on. Heck, it's almost too nice to put a blade to. Make a frame for it and put it on the wall to replace the mother-in-laws pic that the wife insists on being there when she comes to visit.

Comment

Originally posted by ernurse View Post
                          Once in a great while I will make a great find like this and it sits on the shelf for several months because I keep waiting for the PERFECT project to use it on. Heck, it's almost too nice to put a blade to. Make a frame for it and put it on the wall to replace the mother-in-laws pic that the wife insists on being there when she comes to visit.
                          ernurse got to admit I like your style of thinking, but can you give me a name on the material. I want to find some so I can purchase, without a name I'm at a stand still.

Comment

Here it is, someone else from another forum came up with the name, it sure looks like a match to me, now I'm on a mission to find some.

burl of Yakusugi, Cryptomeria japonica

Comment

Working...
                            X