X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BS 1400 motor

Have any of you folks retrofitted a larger motor to this saw? I see that Grizz offers a 1725 rpm, TEFEC for $179... just wondering if it would have to be mounted below. http://www.grizzly.com/products/sear...=7&submit.y=11 Let's forget about whether or not it's worth the expense. "Probably not" is a given. Just wondering for my own purposes.Later,Chiz
    Later,
    Chiz

Re: BS 1400 motor

You'll need to match the frame sizes of the motors. Then check shaft diameter and length. As for upgrading to a more powerful motor, don't get crazy or you'll tear up the rest of the bandsaw.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
      You'll need to match the frame sizes of the motors. Then check shaft diameter and length. As for upgrading to a more powerful motor, don't get crazy or you'll tear up the rest of the bandsaw.
      Seeing that you are from Insanityville, USA, your version of 'get(ting) crazy' with a motor upgrade might be suspect - LOL. But seriusly, do you think that 1.5HP is more than this little saw can handle? I'd like to be able to resaw 8" cherry, walnut and oak.

TIA,
      Chiz
      Last edited by ironhat; 04-24-2007, 03:26 PM. Reason: clarity
      Later,
      Chiz

Comment

It would depend on how fast you fed the wood. You need not fully load the motor. I really doubt it would be wise to go above 3/4 HP if it's an American made motor rated for continious duty. Anymore too many power tool motors are rated in hype. They may be able to produce XXX but the question is for how long. If you can get a good high quality "Made In USA" motor with a 1.25 service factor you'll be better off than spending big $$$ on one from China. I have a good feeling the Grizley motors aren't too bad though. Are you having problems with the origional motor?

Whoa: I just saw the part about sawing through 8" think wood. That's gonna take lots more bandsaw or some nice slow and gentle feeding by you. Sure you can cut it with your saw, but please take it nice and easy. Be sure to have a good quality band on it too.

Comment

With the powertwist belt and a GOOD resaw blade, I'm able to do 6" maple and black walnut on my BS14002, with the stock motor.
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Sandy

I bet you are and that you have a nice kind and gentle way of feeding the wood into the band too. I remember very well cutting 6" think black walnut on a Delta 14" with American made 3/4 HP motor without trouble as long as there was a good sharp band on it and I just took it easy. That wasn't my bandsaw as I don't have one, but was one I had easy access too. We had fun making salad bowls out of black walnut. After making a few we changed back to pine and gave the machinery a break. LOL

Comment

Sandy, do you use a regular rip fence or one of the arch-shaped ones? Woussko, I haven't had any trouble yet because I haven't done any resawing. I just got the riser block replacement for the defective one and the Iturra catalog hasn't come in two months (called and spoke with Mr. I after the first month). I may just go ahead and order the new ones from Highland WW. I was just speculating on the motor issue.
              Last edited by ironhat; 04-25-2007, 07:16 AM. Reason: clarity
              Later,
              Chiz

Comment

Working...
              X