X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Dovetail jig

I just recently used my 4210 PC jig to make some replacement drawers. I've only cut the joints for two boxes. I've got the fit that I want but on at least one of the corners of the boxes the top and bottom of the pieces does not align. The joint comes together perfectly. They are off by 1/16" to 1/8". Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? They are half blind joints with 1/2" ply.

Re: PC Dovetail jig

I have the same jig. Are you sure you had both pieces pushed up tight to the stop on the left side and did you have the stop set right.
    SSG, U.S. Army
    Retired
    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I had the wood pushed all the way up against the stop. Don't you have to alternate between the right and left side of the jig or is that not necessary? It doesn't say anything about doing that in the jig manual but that has been my experience from working with an omnijig in the past.

Comment

I always use the left stop. I also lay the pieces out on the flat the way they will be assembled and number the corners so I don't mix them up. See picture.
        Attached Files
        SSG, U.S. Army
        Retired
        K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

You put both pieces against the left stop. It is crucial that the wood be exactly centered between the fingers. I have tried to think of a tool that could be inserted between the wood and the fingers that was cone shaped so that spacing could be done easily, but can't seem to think of or find one. I occasionally have the same problem as you but mine seems to be with through dovetails. I have made lots and lots of drawers with half blind dovetails both mini and standard and never experienced any problems. But those through dovetails give me a fit, three corners align nicely but the fourth just won't fit. I have tried to not use the left stop and just align the wood beneath the template embossing but that did not work either. I hope someone comes up with a definite answer.

Tom

Comment

Looks like another one here with the same problem. Only done half blinds so far, I just keep making more till they fit (which is only 1 or 2), and eventually the other sides will become a drawer for the workshop, know what I mean. But ya they should all be perfect every time, when I get a chance to work on it, I'll figure it out or read about it, in here...
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I also have the same jig, but I have never used it. I have tried to figure it out since the directions stink. I finally figured out which template to use and what size bushings. Now makeing the tail cut I used the left stop once piece is centered then I adjust stop to to the piece and lock. Now here is my last problem, cutting the tails. How can I used that same postion or is it when I flip the template over that will off set the pin cut?

Help with the positioning of the wood for both cuts

Mike

oh, I believe I`m trying to make through joints??? you know the popular cut?

Comment

Working...
              X