X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop Vac and dust on ROS sander?

I will be getting a ROS sander (another) very soon and need to know the answer to the following question.
    If I hook up the ROS sander to a shop vac type vacuum will it control all the dust?
    I can hook up this vacuum either inside my shop or underneath it (outside the building). My shop building is built on 6x6 pressure treated poles 8 feet off the ground.
    Changeling

As I said before I use the PC333VS and I have sanded drywall in the kitchen on medium speed with the shopvac hose running through the kitchen window...I bought a 1" X 10' hose to hook the sander to the shopvac 2 1/2" hose...seems like I had to do a little hunting around to find the right fitting and/or I had to wrap electrical tape around something to make it a little bigger so it would fit...If you decide to go this route email me and I'll check how I did it....

Comment

Changeling,

I also have the Porter Cable 333VS. I exclusively have it hooked to a "Stinger" Wet/Dry Vac I picked up last year at this time for $20 on sale at Home Depot. I have used it for ALL my finish sanding needs. Even sanding with the pad verticle on the edge of a 3/4" board, is sucks in all the dust.

This set up very portable, not confined to any one perticular location in the shop, or other location in the house. I recently sanded a base molding abused over years in the back hall way. Took out a coupld deep gouges and removed the old varnish. I did not dust or run the house vac afterwards.

I have plans to add a 2nd PC333VS soon (income tax return) and another Stinger W/D Vac. The filters are $4 for 3, they are the bag type. After 1 year of use, I've only replace the origanl bag. It is not as noisy as a full sized Vac, and as mentioned, much more portable.

I origanally had the sander hooked to a Ridgid 6hp W/D Vac. The small ports did not allow enough air flow causing the motor to run excessivly hot. That prompted the purchase of the Stinger. It's a great set up.

To catch a far glimps of it sitting on the bench, Click Here.
      John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

John what do you mean by the ports were to small on the Rigid?
        Changeling

Comment

For a Ridgid shop vac, does the motor cooling air (that is blown out the top) come from surrounding air or from the vacuumed air? If from the vacuumed air, wouldn't that be bad for the motor because of the fine dust getting past the filter?

Comment

You still need to use a good respirator. The exhaust from the shop vac will contain dust that will give you respiratory problems.
            www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

For sanding, I use a ShopVac brand vacuum with a HEPA filter that filters the particles down to 1 micron. The combination of the two makes for virtually dust free sanding.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Badger Dave, tell me more! What is the setup you are using? This is the kind of filtration system I need in the house.
                In the shop I have decided to exhaust all the dust through a hose to the "Outside"!! Just makes sense !
                Changeling

Comment

I also use a shop vac for my pc333 ros. I agree with John. The 1" PC hose I use is too small for the volume of air the big 20 gal vac pulls. The motor goes from reletively quiet to reletively loud with this hose and various tools I use it for. It does get 90% or so of the dust however.
                  -John

Comment

Changeling;

The small ports I was refering to were the vacuum assit ports in the sander pad. They could not provide enough air flow to satisfy the motor on the 6hp W/D vac. It simply just had too much suction for the application.

I do not use the $30 hepa filter on my 3 large Ridgid W/D Vacs that I use for all dust collection in the shop (except the PC ROS). Instead, I opted for the Genie brand bags that will fit over the filter. This also prolongs the life of the filter as all the fine and coarse particles can not get wedged into the fins of the filter. Cleaning is faster and easier. They cost $5 for 3 I think, maybe less, definetly not more.

I have only replaced one filter in 1-1/2 years of service on the 3, and that was the origanal filter on the first Vac. Which was the only one used w/o the Genie Bag.
                    John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Woody, I am glad you mentioned the Ridgid Vacs. I am interested in the WD1245, however it received a Bad review from a Premier reviewer at Eopinions. Now this is one guys opinion, and I don't like to base things on that. Have you had experience with this model or the next size "down" in there line? I really don't need the 12 gallon volume.
                      Changeling

Comment

We purchased a couple earlier this year for use on the Roof at work. The brush wire came disconnected from the brush. Replacement part is not available. The cost of the motor assembly is just a few dollars less than a new vac from home depot.

I've never used the machine myself, but knowing this I hope it helps you make your decission. I personally have 2 of the 6.25 hp vac/leaf blowers and a 6 hp vac. I am very satisfied with all 3 of them.

Comment

I saw this model the WD4050 at the HD yesterday and thought that itjust might fit the bill for use on a ros or where you don't need or want the volume of a larger drum type vac. It's a 5hp 4gal model. Just a thought!

Comment

Woody, thanks a bunch! I guess the search go's on.
                            Changeling

Comment

I have the Ridgid 12 gal "5 hp" shop vac, and it is by far the best I have owned by far - my third over many years, and maybe my last. I recommend it highly.

But when I tried to use that vacuum as the dust collector for my shop, it couldn't keep up. Nothing kept up until I got a real dust collector - a big 2 HP unit (I believe this 2 hp, far larger than the "5 hp" of a vacuum.) And then got a proper size bag for the dust collector, not the one that the vendor sold. Now my shop is far cleaner than I ever expected it to be, and the airborne dust is so low that I don't have to clean the shop before I finish.

Comment

Working...
                              X