X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing BS riser.

My riser is in the mail and tracking UPS will be here tomorrow. Now heres the question. I thought I would jump ahead and remove the top of the BS, and ofcourse, I don't have the larger tools for that big of bolt/nut. A metric socket #24 will fit the nut but it's sloppy, so I'm guessing it's not metric. So for those of you have removed the top of your BS, what size wrench/sockets did you use? I know some will have diff. sizes, but most should be the same. I know it's bigger than a 7/8th's. Thats the giggest I have and I want to buy one today so I'm ready. And was the nut and bolt both the same size?

Re: Installing BS riser.

If there is a chance of different sizes depending in the model, might be easier to just measure it.

Comment

Sort of difficult because it's still on the BS and a small spot. But worth a try. But your right. It's those simple things I forget about.

Comment

I just changed mine last week but it was from a previously owned riser kit - the wrench size was 15/16", which I had. I was able to use a medium sized adjustable to hold the bolt fast while I turned the nut about 1/8 of a turn at a time and had to flip the wrench with each turn. Not hard, just a pain. ne other thing. When you remove the riser bar (holds the guide blocks and bearing) watch for a small ball bearing (maybe 3/16" dia) which rides in the slot of the rod. Mine took off and it was me and my arthritic knees on the concrete with a flashlight making like an Indian scout listening for buffalo.
        Now, I'm waiting on blades.
        Later,
        Chiz
        Later,
        Chiz

Comment

I did the same as Chiz on my previous BS.

Another thing, before you tighten the riser use a straightedge to align the top and bottom wheels. The alignment pins in the riser do not nesessarily align the wheels. Some have had the file the pins smaller, even remove them in a couple of cases. If the riser is installed with wheel misalignment you will have bad problems later.
          ken
          Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

Hey Ken, thanks for the reminder. I hadn't gotten around to realigning the saw but I'll sure keep this in mind, now.

Later,
            Chiz
            Later,
            Chiz

Comment

Working...
            X