X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Woodworking Project Complete

Here are some pics of a router table cabinet i built. My first woodworking project. Used Redoak ply, dados for the joinery using TS3650 and freud dado stack. Edge banded the exposed ply on the front. Shaker style doors using tounge and groove bit set. Euro hinges. Rail and stiles in pine with oak panels (didnt want to spend money on good rail/stiles in case i screwed them up. All stained with golden oak and a few coats of poly.

On top is a benchdog router table top and fence. Rockler router ON/OFF switch mounted on right side.

Not perfect but i think it came out good considering its my first project.
    Attached Files

Re: First Woodworking Project Complete

Nice job k47k. That will most likely be my next project after I finish some outside work (fence/landscaping ). I would say yours came out well, especially for being your first woodworking project.
    Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Very nice k47k

Great design and execution

Have fun with that
      Cheers! - Jim
      -------------
      All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Ya "terrific job" there, you will have fun with it. Keep posting those pictures too, love to see them.
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Great work, k47k!! If that's your FIRST project, I can't wait to see what's next.
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Thanks guys. I learned alot of lessons (the hard way) on the project. Making the doors was fun, except for the cope cuts on the skinny pieces, took a few tries there. I made a simple coping jig to aid in that process. Unfortunately it wasnt optimal for the tiny rails on the skinny doors, i had to modify it a little for those.

Figuring out the correct size / overlay for the doors was tricky (and as you can see i didnt get it right (the middle door doesnt overlay the cabinet on the sides). Installing the euro hinges was also a learning experience. I made a jig for that as well and its easier than i expected.

I wont even talk about doing the poly.

Next project is a simple end table. have to figure out how to cut accurate mortise with the plunge router. Also have to figure out how to glue boards together to make one big enough for the table top... and then get it flat (no planer or jointer).

Comment

K74k, if you get a chance, I'd love to see some pics and explanation for the jigs you've mentioned. It's always nice to see how someone has solved some of these pesky problems with an innovative jig. If you would consider making your ideas kind of "open source" so the rest of us can copy you....well, that'd be just extra special nice!!!

Keep in mind, no one is going to notice what you've pointed out as the mistakes. It's always a tricky thing...taking credit for a job well done, but you deserve it! We're woodworkers, we work with a living medium. Your cabinet looks great!

I, for one, wouldn't mind if you went into details on the wipe-on poly. I've been considering that for finishing surfaces on a wine cabinet I want to make.

Comment

VaSandy,

here are pics of the coping jig and jig for euro hinge. The coping jig is just 1/4" mdf with 3/4" mdf fence front and rear to ride the RT fence and support the stock.

The euro hinge jig served two purposes for me 1. get the hole in the right spot and 2. keep the bit from walking (kinda goes along with #1). i used hand drill. I will drill the holes for screws to attach the hinge at some point, i found it easier to just line up the hinge and pop the screws in after the 35mm hole was drilled.

As far as the Poly, i used minwax wipe on for the cabinet. it is time consuming as you need many more coats than normal brush on poly. It gives good results though, easier than the brush on. I did the doors in brush on, it was more difficult but 3 coats and your done (probably need 9 coats of the wipe on. The wipe on is expensive, if i were to do it again i would make my own wipe on, just thin out regular poly with mineral spirits.by the last door i started getting the hange of the brush on. That part of the project is no fun.

Last edited by k47k; 04-27-2007, 02:20 PM. Reason: add picture

Comment

Nice Job!

Do you want to give me lessons!

Phil

Comment

Very nice router table. It will serve you well.
                    Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

Thank you for the response, K47k! That jig is simple, but it really looks like it'd be perfect!

I may give the wipe-on poly a try. I am one of those weird ones who enjoys the finishing part of the project. I don't like to waste time, but I feel the investment in time in finishing really pays off in the final product.

Thanks for all the information, it's very much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                      X