X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3650 router extension

ok I bought the router insert plate and an aluminum t track. I also bought some 3/4 x3/4 aluminum angle. I have some 1/2" laminate mdf from a counter and another pc also from the same counter top but for some reason it's plywood. wondering if I should glue the 2 together to make a stronger top? what kind of hardware is needed to fit the slot to attach this to the ts? also does everyone remove the support bar that was on the ts at the end of the rails?

Jeff

Re: TS3650 router extension

Jeff
    Hey Jeff. I suppose you could glue the two together, but I think it w/ the 3/4 x 3/4 aluminum angle the extension may be a bit thick and you'd have trouble lining up the extension to the right wing. I'm thinking the extenstion might sit too high. Check your measurements and see. I don't have a T-slot on mine, but I would imagine you'd attach it by drilling a few small holes in the bottom and counter sinking them from the top. Then fastening it with a few screws. Look for other responses regarding that though. Like I said I opted to live without the T-slot. That is for now. As for the support bar, I like many here removed mine.
    Last edited by 9.5 fingers to go; 04-27-2007, 07:29 AM.
    No, the half of the missing finger was not power tool related.

Comment

sorry I wasen't too clear on the question about fastening. I meant what bolts are needed to fasten the alum angle to the ts rails? just regular square bolts as long as they slide in?

Comment

Oops, I used 5/16" hex w/ 1" X 1/8" aluminum angle for mine. If you check out rprice54's extension I think he used 1/4" hex bolts w/ 3/4" X 1/16" aluminum angle. But, like you said anything that will slid into the rails and hold well should work. Best thing to do is go to your local HD, muster up the parts you have questions about and head for their TS3650 floor model. Be sure to bring a pocket knife with a trusty screwdriver in it in case you need to remove the ends of the rails to test the bolts. That'll beat having to go back and forth if the parts aren't right. If an apron asks you what the heck your doing, run!
        No, the half of the missing finger was not power tool related.

Comment

I built mine just making a box frame and mounting it directly to the rails with 5/16 bots. I made the frame from oak and poplar I had sitting around. Added 3/4" plywood for the top and laminated it.
          here's a link for the pics. Let me know your thoughts on it. Always looking for a way to make things better.

http://woodandwax.googlepages.com/toolsandjigs
          Please check out my web page
          www.woodandwax.net

Comment

Looking at your pictures, good job, How did yur build/attach the extension table behind the saw?

Originally posted by sauk_98 View Post
            I built mine just making a box frame and mounting it directly to the rails with 5/16 bots. I made the frame from oak and poplar I had sitting around. Added 3/4" plywood for the top and laminated it.
            here's a link for the pics. Let me know your thoughts on it. Always looking for a way to make things better.

Comment

I just finished a router extension for my 3650. Started with 3/4 Melamine and glued 3/4 MDF strip about 2 inches wide to of the 27" edges. I boxed it with some 3/4 poplar on the other 3 edges. To fasten it to the TS i used studs in the threaded holes on the TS table, routed 4 slots 3/4 inch wide x 1 1/4 deep x 2 inches long about on inch off of the edge (leaving one inch of material thickness along edge). Drilled 4 holes 1/16th larger than stud size on stud centers.... use a grade 8 (heavy washer) and nylock nut. used the rails to support the table by drilling 4 holes in the poplar (2 on each side) and inserting nuts in the rails and thru-bolting. I kept the spreader rod at the very end of the rails. It is very stable, gives you plenty of room for adjustment to level and flatten the table. Mine measures 27 deep by 24 wide. I also added an aluminum mitre T track and used a jessem commercial table insert. the table is stiff and stable and doesn't vibrate, works well but i have been considering a couple of legs in order to alleviate any stress on the fence rails.

Comment

Hey CMCCARTER
                I attached the outfeed table using 1/8 X 3 flat stock. I drilled three holes in the sides of both cast iron extensions and mounted the flat stock. Then I drilled holes in the flat stock so I could mount 1 1/2" angle iron to it.
                I mounted at the end of the extensions to eliminate any problem with the blade angle crank. The angle iron I used was from an old bed frame. sanded all the iron down and painted it black. I'll try and post some pics later
                www.woodandwax.net

Comment

I finally built my router extension. I haven't mounted the plate and t slot yet. the top was a piece of couner top that was cut from my prents new kitchen to install the stove. it measures 1 1/4" and it's mdf. I made a support from an old table that was made of steel tubing with 1/4 ply on top. I cut it up and welded the supports. I used 1/2"x1/2 aluminum to attach to the rails. I've attached a few pictures.

[

Comment

oh yea forgot my question...

should I center the plate ? or should it be closer to the inside or outside?

also should the T slot be closer to the router plate or close to the outside? I noticed most people are putting it close to the outside of the table.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffntanya View Post
                      oh yea forgot my question...

should I center the plate ? or should it be closer to the inside or outside?

also should the T slot be closer to the router plate or close to the outside? I noticed most people are putting it close to the outside of the table.
                      I would center the router.

For the t-slot I would grab whatever miter gauge you plan on using and position the t-slot track so that the fence of the gauge leaves you 1 or 2 inches from the biggest bit you'll be using (panel raising bit, 3.5" diameter?)

Closer is better support than farther away. A clamping miter gauge is useful too. Think about coping stiles etc.
                      Cheers! - Jim
                      -------------
                      All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

another thing I thought.. being I 've only used a router table once before I could be missing something.

all the router extensions I've seen are setup to work on the outside of the table where you have to feed the stock from back to front. and are limited to table area for working. why wouldn't one set it up to work to the left of the router plate and stock could be fed from front to back and the fence could go on the right with the t slot on the left?

Comment

I tried setting mine up to feed from front to rear but it dosen't leave alot of room for the fence. If you move the router over closer to the saw it cuts down on clearnce and I am using a fixed base router in the table and needed trhe room. Check out how I did mine at the link below.

www.woodandwax.net

Comment

If you are even remotely considering an Incra Jig or the Incra/Rockler universal precision positioning jig, I would recommend placing the router table on the right side of the saw top. This would allow more room for the jig's adjuster and template arm.
                            Last edited by billmoy; 06-07-2007, 09:23 AM. Reason: wrong word

Comment

Working...
                            X