No announcement yet.

Table saw decisions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might have been more a case of slipping a few extra features in, as long as they had to switch sources anyway.

Since the new saws are made by OWT, I would guess the idea was to get as close to the successful 3612 design as possible, and then tack on a few of the major items off the "wish list". In other words, 3650 was a straight-up replacement for 3612, and probably wasn't a quest for new demographics so much as keeping what they had with some improvements.

Comment

hybrid just seemed the next logical step up the evolutionary scale for a HD store. agree that a full cabinet saw is preferred, but just wasn't sure how many would plunk down 1500-2000 at the big box store, but I sure wouldn't mind a Griz 1023 show up in Ridgid organge for under 1k. I find it an interesting business case of what the home improvement stores carry in their tool inventory.

Bob, Thanks, i'm just curious too.

Comment

Just wanted to say, "Glad you're back" Woody.
        \"Last year we couldn\'t win at home.<BR>This year we can\'t win on the road.<BR>My failure as a coach is that I <BR>can\'t think of anyplace else to play.\"<BR> - Coach Harry Neale, Canucks

Comment

The Borgs cater for the contractor and home diy'er. My guess is that even the most expensive table saw offered by HD, the $600 3612, was sold in relatively low volumes compared to the other 5-6 models priced between $100-$450. Put a $1200 Cabinet Saw on display at all 1500 HD's and see the very, very low volume that will be sold.

Incidentally, you're going to find it extremely difficult to obtain a Cabinet Saw from a store for less than $1200-$1400. Take a look at the manufacturing costs and the volumes involved together with the store/dealer discount. Dealer discount is 40% and that's factored into Delta, Jet, General etc., Griz, Bridgewood and other direct suppliers of Cabinet Saws don't have this distribution model and therefore can come in quite a ways below the other guy's.

David

Comment

I guess I'd have to disagree on the demographics of people who use a contractors' saw! I visit a load of small buinsess (manufacturing and contractors) and have to say you'll find contractors' saws in all but actual woodworking shops. For contractors (usually on big custome or houses with lots of wood) they have contractors' saws (not as frequent as benchtop)---for a business that uses a saw for incidental use (like shipping packaging) or like cutting wood for drapery vallances, etc.---contractors' saws. But, sometimes, even where you have a wood shop with several cabinet saws, they'll still have a contractors' saw, as a standby/spare.
            Dave

Comment

OK,
              I've owned my 3612 for a little over a week now, and as such I can't speak to the longevity issue. RS, I hope you can find a 3612 somewhere before they're all gone. I was looking at the 3612 for about a year before I finally brought one back to the shop.
              I'm starting out, and this was my first major tool purchase. I would love a cabinet saw someday, this, however will serve me well for many years.
              On the miter guage 'front, I haven't had much need for doing mitered cuts yet.
              Ned<br /><br />Madison Woodsmith<br /><br />Masonry: 2B1ASK1

Comment

I've had the 2424 for about 3 years now and it runs like a champ. I've thrown everything at it from pine to ebony (make sure your blade is sharp, and that there are no checks in ebony before cutting.)

I just read today in the latest Woodworker's Journal that they've had a 2424 in their shop for 5 years and have awarded it the title of "Tools that Endure."
                \"Last year we couldn\'t win at home.<BR>This year we can\'t win on the road.<BR>My failure as a coach is that I <BR>can\'t think of anyplace else to play.\"<BR> - Coach Harry Neale, Canucks

Comment

OK, don't throw anything at me, but I'd also take a look at the Ryobi BT3100. I feel it's safe to recommend it since Ryobi now makes the Ridgid saws too. Check out http://www.bt3central.com for a lot of comments about it.
                  Just my .02 worth.
                  Rick

Comment

RickT,
                    I know you have been gone for six months, but we need to get you back in here and get you re-programmed.
                    Here's another link that will get you to Home Depot tools: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=toys&n=559952 [img]tongue.gif[/img]
                    If it don\'t fit, force it. If it breaks, \'needed fixin\' anyhow. 8{~

Comment

Just chiming in, here - I was shopping around to a replacement for my absolutely painful-to-use Crapsman. I had decided on the Ridgid for several reasons. I happened to be at my local Home Despot when I happened upon a brown-boxed factory reconditioned 3612. Still came with the Lifetime Warranty, so I asked how much it was...

I was told $129.99.

I was pretty sure the tool corral helper guy was smoking crack, but a manager had to come over and enter in the clearance code.

I was so happy I nearly wet myself.

It is near-perfect (the rail support bar was bent slightly and Ridgid is sending me a replacement) beyond a few ultra-minor scuffs. Most of the parts seemed brand new (motor, too) and all setup steps for alignment were already done (or does it normally come perfect?). I don't know how it could be any better than a brand new one - it seems perfect to me.

Sorry, though - it was the only one there (that wasn't new-new).

I still can't get over it.

Comment

Boinger

That is an incredible score, way to go!

Woodslayer

Comment

Working...
                        X