tension on 3650 belt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tension on 3650 belt

Hi guys well assembly is almost complete, I have a question about the tension on the belt.
    I installed as described by the manual, but the belt is slack so have to pull the motor back about 1/2 inch to tighten the belt just a bit. Now I whould like to know how much tension I should put, just enought to take up the slack, or a bit more, or like our automobiles, tight enought that we can push the belt down about 1/2 inch of play.
    §m€llŸ™

Re: tension on 3650 belt

Smelly, as I remember, I tensioned mine to 1/2" of flex, as described in the manual. It was a bit of a struggle to accomplish it, and I believe my motor ended up very near the end of travel before I got to that point. It's been working fine, and works at every angle I've needed without any rubbing or screeching. Take a good look at the online instruction manual, then follow it precisely.

I can't remember if you've already gotten a replacement blade or not, but please do! The one that comes with the saw is ok....but it's not the best by a long shot. I got a Forrest WWII finally (my pocketbook is still whining about that), and man...what a difference! The saw is quieter, and that blade leaves no cut marks! It's almost like having a planer blade on the saw!!
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Y a well I read the manual online version and the one that comes with the saw and no mention of how much tension to put, is mentioned. I will go with the half inch rule of thumb. as you have done, VAsandy.

another side question how come the front and bk rails are not the same lenght???
      §m€llŸ™

Comment

another side question how come the front and bk rails are not the same lenght
        Thats because the front of the fence is wider then the rear. Which is why the front rail is longer then the back rail

Comment

ah I did not ponder on that one. ok then thank you .
          §m€llŸ™

Comment

When I originally tensioned the belt on my 3650, I did it with the blade at its lowest setting, below the surface of the table. One of my first projects was to cut some melamine for zero clearance inserts. When I set the blade height to about 3/4" I noticed the belt was extremely loose and slipped. I found the belt is at its loosest when the blade is about 3/4" above the table. I retensioned the belt at the 3/4" setting. I snugged it slightly and tightened the bolts. I then checked the tension at the blade's highest setting to be sure there was still some spring travel left in the motor mounting plate by squeezing the belt together until the insides of the belt touched.

Comment

ok nice post, I will procede to verify that 3/4 height setting to see if the belt is slack. at that position.
              §m€llŸ™

Comment

Are you all talking about fixing (locking) the tension on the TS3650 belt? The weight of the motor is supposed to supply the tension...
                There was some confusion about the belt tension on another thread, perhaps looking at that thread might help(?)

- djb
                sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

Working...
                X