X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stainless screws VS Ridgid 18v impact driver

Stainless screws do not work too well when using the Ridgid 18v impact driver.

I used McFeely's #10x2 1/2" 305 stainless flat head screw..part number
    1024-FAS
    I pre-drilled a short piece of 2x4 to attach to an old 1980 vintage 2x4.
    I used an APEX impact square #2 driver bit part number HHS-0234.
    I lubricated the screw threads with LLOYD'S Akempucky
    [part number LA-0900]

Then off I went happily "screwing"! And yes I addressed the screw properly.

Well, 2/3 of the screw went into the wood and then snapped!...I tried a second one, and the same thing happened. I also noticed that the square head [Robertson head] was chewed up when I tried to back out a different screw.

I contacted MCFeely's and explained what happened....

Their reply was Stainless 305 screws are softer than hardened screws and can snap if over torqued! Not a tool failure or user error. They indicated it's best not to use an impact driver with stainless 305 screws.

I noted that even before the impact driver went into its impact hammer mode the screw snapped.

I conclude that the Ridgid 18v impact driver has tons of torque..

I have used the driver in many applications successfully, this was the first time I used it with stainless 305 screws. There is no fault of the Driver -or-me!

Hope this helps others avoid having to dig out broken screws

Cactus Man

Re: stainless screws VS Ridgid 18v impact driver

It's a a shame they snapped like that. Impact drivers do make for very controled driving and less cam out of scxrews.
    You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

You could try predrilling to allow the screw to go in easier. That will make the process more painful and slow though.

Now you know why they invented nailguns

Comment

I understand what your saying here cactusman, been there, what I found that did work, as long as your not trying to run a hundred screws is, put some soap on the screws. They are softer, so by doing this method will help immensely. I have had them snap with the soap also, but by pre drilling and soap most screws will go right through. Maybe this method will help you and maybe not, its just a thought, and old time trick.
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Thanks for the heads up cactusman. This weekend I'm planning on helping my brother put an addition onto his deck and planned on using my impact driver. I was planning on only bringing my impact driver with me but just in case he has SS screws I'd better bring my drill/driver also.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

For small, softer screws, I find using the 9.6v (Ridgid "twist" drill) works much better. I have used brass screws in projects and it seems that no matter what, those things will snap on you in a heartbeat!! Depending on the project, I will often resort to the old-fashioned hand screwdriver (OMG...a HAND TOOL!!!).

The impact drivers are great, but I just think in a lot of situations they have too much torque. Would you drive drywall screws with an impact driver? From my old-school learnin', they always used the impact driver when going into concrete or brick. Anything other than that, and they'd go to the regular driver.
            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Just for the record:

Sceeter W Wheels please reread my original posting..
              "I did pre drill holes"

Garger please reread my original posting...
              "I did lubricate the screws"

I am sad to say this is typical on so many reflectors etc.
              People do not read the original posting or understand the information or question. Then they give answers that are not helpful nor provide assistance to the one posting.
              We also have self acclaimed comedians that think a snippy reply is cute and funny!

Anyway, Sceeter W Wheels and Garger Thank you for your time in reading the original posting and thinking you have provided an answer to the screws snapping. I know you mean well.

Cactus Man

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on the Mcfeelys Stainless. If I purchase the screws you posted about I will heed your warning. I gather that was what your last post was about. You were giving people a "HEADS UP'" and by not reading throughly they were trying to solve a problem that really doesn't have a solution except to not drive them w/ impact drivers particurly ridgid's..
                You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                  Just for the record:

Sceeter W Wheels please reread my original posting..
                  "I did pre drill holes"

Garger please reread my original posting...
                  "I did lubricate the screws"

I am sad to say this is typical on so many reflectors etc.
                  People do not read the original posting or understand the information or question. Then they give answers that are not helpful nor provide assistance to the one posting.
                  We also have self acclaimed comedians that think a snippy reply is cute and funny!

Anyway, Sceeter W Wheels and Garger Thank you for your time in reading the original posting and thinking you have provided an answer to the screws snapping. I know you mean well.

Cactus Man
                  Hmmm, I got a little something out of both replies. On the pre-drilling you stated that you predrilled only the new lumber and that to me sounds like you were running into the old lumber with no pre-drilled hole. If you pre-drilled both, with the old lumber drilled just under the size of the threads your screw would not break.

The second reply, while maybe ignoring the fact that you lubed your screws also contained personal experience with the same situation and may help someone else reading this post if they are in a situation where they have to drive these screws in this fashion and don't have the particular lube you named.

One thing is certain, neither one of these replies was intended to talk down to you or irritate you. There may be things that you know that others who will read this thread do not--even though you started it. I am sure I have found information on this site that may be redundant to the topic, or even thread, but helped me. I like the way the conversations blossom and I find it interesting to read.

The only posts I think warrant discouraging are those that are not attempting to be helpful or share information, even if it is just information on the topic and not to the original poster. But that's me. I want ALL input, you never know when you will get a juicy nugget of information.

BTW, this is my opinion on the topic, not an judgment on any person or people.
                  Last edited by woodenstickers; 04-28-2007, 12:44 PM.
                  A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

ok, woodenstickers..my point exactly..I did not infer what SceeterWwheels and Garger implied in their replies!

As you read their replies you picked up different information...
                    so, if I ruffled feathers I apologize.

My intention of the original post was to share information regarding my experience with MCFeely's stainless screws, not ask for advice.
                    I have used the same stainless screws with my Ridgid 18v drill/driver and have not had any break. I wanted to use the impact driver as I had a very tight area to work in.

Cactus Man

Comment

Cactus,

No problem, I sure do appreciate the thread you started and the very complete info you included, and that's a fact. It no doubt will be helpful to me in the future when picking screws for projects.

I really like this forum and really the list of ways it has helped me is too lengthy for even my long-winded *** to type up. Maybe another time .

Thanks again for the post, sir.
                      A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Cactusman,

Good information, thanks for the post.

I have the Ridgid 14.4 impact driver. While I generally use my 14.4 V Drill Driver, I had to replace a railing on my deck last fall. I decided that the Impact Driver would be just the tool as I had to extract four 1/4-inch bolts, which held the 2 x 6 rail to the 4 x 4 posts and then another 16 phillips head screws which attached the ballusters to the rail. I figured putting a magnetic adapter in the Impact Driver would be okay as it would allow for a quick change between the hex and phillips bits. Bad idea, as the Impact Driver tore the magnetic bit apart on the first try, twisting the hex shaft right out of it's collar.

After that I decided my Impact Driver was better left for heavier duty jobs and hardware. I still used it to remove and redrive the hex head bolts, but I left the screws to the Drill/Driver.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                          Stainless screws do not work too well when using the Ridgid 18v impact driver.

I used McFeely's #10x2 1/2" 305 stainless flat head screw..

...Well, 2/3 of the screw went into the wood and then snapped!...

I contacted MCFeely's and explained what happened....

Their reply was Stainless 305 screws are softer than hardened screws and can snap if over torqued!.....
                          Cactus Man
                          Good info. I think a lot of people mistakingly assume stainless steel is harder and stronger than carbon steel. This is often not the case. One of the biggest difficulties, working with stainless is that it work hardens. This makes it difficult to form. The 305 stainless used to make screws is purposely designed to allow formability. It sacrifices strength for this. Some of the coatings they have developed for carbon screws are pretty incredible. One might be better off, using coated carbon, vs. stainless...especially if you end up having to overdrill the whole and coat each stainless fastener with lubricant.

This same thing is true with knife blades. I've talked to many people that think because it says "stainless" on a knife blade they are getting a great quality blade. Don't count on it. Most of the cheap knifes with "stainless" blades use cheap stainless that is easy to form...which makes it a terrible material for a knife blade. I knife needs to be made from a steel that can be edge hardened so the sharpness will last.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                            Cactusman,

Good information, thanks for the post.

I have the Ridgid 14.4 impact driver. While I generally use my 14.4 V Drill Driver, I had to replace a railing on my deck last fall. I decided that the Impact Driver would be just the tool as I had to extract four 1/4-inch bolts, which held the 2 x 6 rail to the 4 x 4 posts and then another 16 phillips head screws which attached the ballusters to the rail. I figured putting a magnetic adapter in the Impact Driver would be okay as it would allow for a quick change between the hex and phillips bits. Bad idea, as the Impact Driver tore the magnetic bit apart on the first try, twisting the hex shaft right out of it's collar.

After that I decided my Impact Driver was better left for heavier duty jobs and hardware. I still used it to remove and redrive the hex head bolts, but I left the screws to the Drill/Driver.

CWS
                            It is important to use impact rated screwdriver bits when using an impact wrench. I find that it is easier to break a stuck screw loose, with less damage to the head, with an impact. However, you need to use a good bit that won't rollover and press hard so that it doesn't slip.

Comment

I can not comment on the ridgid tool .I can comment on the makita impact driver .I will tell all that you have to use the tool with light trigger action when driving small screws.I put up 30 sheets of drywall and found the impact driver to work realy well driving the screws to the correct depth with the same speed as my buddy with his drywall screw gun.
                              I too have had some screws snap in 2+4 lumber also when using full speed ,now I trigger off and on

Comment

Working...
                              X