X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZCI Problem???

I made up a couple ZCI's today out of 1/2" ply and they fit nice and flush then ran into a bit of a problem.

When I inserted the new plate into the slot I found that the blade was not low enough to clear the bottom of the plate. It's about 3/8" too high.

I stopped and did not cut it.

This can't be right? can it?

Have I missed an adjustment when I set my 3650 up?

Thanks.

Re: ZCI Problem???

I would mount an 8" dadoe blade (one side of stacked set) or a 7 1/4" circular saw blade in this case. Clamp some extra wood over the insert then slowly raise one of those blades until it breaks the surface of the ZCI...
    Cheers! - Jim
    -------------
    All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

That's normal. Jim's suggestion works, also you can mount the new plate to the stock plate with good cloth backed double stick tape and then raise the blade. For safety clamp a scrap piece of wood across the plates when raising the blade.
      Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

One more thing, when using Jim's or Ken's methods, try and use a blade that has a kerf as close to the one on the blade you plan to use in the TS.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I find using a jig saw works pretty well. Set the piece in the slot, raise the blade enough to leave an impression on the ZCI. Then, using a thin drill bit, make enough of an opening to get the jig saw blade in. Cut about a 2"-4" slot in the piece just wide enough for the blade to sneak through.

I use thin-kerf blades in the TS, and I don't have any matching small blades. Using the jig saw, even if I have to take a couple passes, seems to work better for me.
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by talos4 View Post
            I made up a couple ZCI's today out of 1/2" ply and they fit nice and flush then ran into a bit of a problem.

When I inserted the new plate into the slot I found that the blade was not low enough to clear the bottom of the plate. It's about 3/8" too high.
            When I made mine I took the set screws out of the factory plate and set it back into it orginal position so that it rested below the level of the table. Then I laid the new ZCI plate on top of that. The benefit is that the new ZCI plate drops into position deep enough to align itself without double sided tape and is still above the blade. Set the blade to its lowest position, clamp the new ZCI down, turn on the saw, turn the blade height adjustment wheel 5 rotations (which is not enough to cut through the ZCI), turn the saw off and wait for the blade to stop spinning. When it stops, remove the new ZCI and the factory plate, set the blade back to its lowest position, install the new ZCI as it will now sit flush. Now you can finish making your ZCI.

Comment

OK, thanks guy's for putting my mind at ease.

I stuck the original insert back onto the new one and raised the blade through it.

Then finished it off with the blade I plan on using as my general purpose blade.

I'm going to be doing some dadoe inserts also.

Again thanks, I lurk (and learn) alot and post only a little lately.

Comment

I guess I probably shouldn't say how I do it!!!! LOL
                Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Originally posted by The Wood Meister View Post
                  I guess I probably shouldn't say how I do it!!!! LOL
                  Do pray tell...

Meister I think I know where your avatar came from
                  Cheers! - Jim
                  -------------
                  All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Here's another solution I use, for what it's worth.

After cutting the new insert the exact size and shape, reinsert the original plate. Set the fence to the edge of the insert plate, raise the blade approx. half the thickness of the new insert and cut a dado into the bottom of the new insert by running it along the fence. Lower the blade, swap the inserts, slide the fence a bit closer to the blade over the new insert to hold it in place, then finish the cut in the new one by raising the spinning blade to the height you want.

I also drilled holes into the new insert so my shop vac can do it's thing with the saw dust made. Otherwise, it will not clear the dust while cutting.
                    If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

Working...
                    X