X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats a GOOD Biscuit jointer?

One item I don't have in my shop is a Biscuit jointer. I just planed and jointed some lumber down for a coffee table and I thought I would like to use biscuits. I think they work a lot better than dowels. (for the top)
    Does anyone have one their using and getting good results. I cannot remember the last compairasons in my wood mag's.

Trapper D

Re: Whats a GOOD Biscuit jointer?

Originally posted by ernurse View Post
    One item I don't have in my shop is a Biscuit jointer. I just planed and jointed some lumber down for a coffee table and I thought I would like to use biscuits. I think they work a lot better than dowels. (for the top)
    Does anyone have one their using and getting good results. I cannot remember the last compairasons in my wood mag's.

Trapper D
    Biscuits????

They are old technology, check out the Domino by Festool.
    festoolusa.com
    It cuts a mortize into which a floating tendon (domino) fits.
    I'm told it over comes the problem with the shape of the biscuit being telegraphed to the surface,that can occur when buscuits swell and happen to be too near to a surface.
    Rev Ed

Comment

About 15 years ago, I bought a DeWalt recon biscuit jointer, still going strong. (never have used the Ridgid, if they make one! LOL)

The Festool Domino is close to 700 bucks and out of the price range of most folks.

As far as the biscuits showing an outline in the wood, this only happens when joining very thin woods. I build some pretty huge entertainment centers and have to make backs sometimes that exceed 60 to 70 inches. I biscuit "true" 1/4" Fibercore veneer all the time and sometimes the outline of the biscuit will show up after finish AND only in the right light. No one has complained yet. Rarely does anyone join up 1/4 anything! LOL For 1/2 or thicker, it's not an issue. The outline that shows up is not from the biscuit swelling up, it shows the outline of the biscuit where the glue has dried and pulled IN on the wood. Next time I have to glue up a big back, i'll try to take some pictures if it shows up.

Mark

Comment

I have been using a dewalt biscuit jointer for the last year or so and it has been great.

Comment

I have the DeWalt biscuit joiner, and I'm happy with it. I've read positive reviews of the Domino, but it is priced around $700 (could buy three or four DeWalt or Porter Cable biscuit joiners for that price).

Comment

I know the Dewalt is good, I know when I get one it will be the PorterCable 557. Mainly because Im not a fan of Dewalt, but also most of the reviews that Ive read favor the PC over the Dewalt. I do like the fence on the PC better then the Dewalt also. Plus the Porter Cable can do FF biscuits if that would ever be a concern.

Comment

The outline that shows up is not from the biscuit swelling up, it shows the outline of the biscuit where the glue has dried and pulled IN on the wood
              It doesn't really pull it in. What happens is that you sand away the area where the wood swells when it is absorbing the moisture from the glue. Then when it dries back out, you have a sunken spot.

As most of the others have said, I have a DeWalt biscuit jointer and it works great for what I need.

But, if you are edge gluing boards for a coffee table, you really don't need biscuits. There is plenty of long grain glue surface. The glue is stronger than the wood anyway.....

Comment

If you are edge gluing boards such as for a table top or to make a wide panel, use the biscuits for alignment only, i.e. don't glue them. Just set them in the slots dry as an aide to maintaining alignment, the small area that is not glued will make little difference to the strength of the joint, and there will be no large mass of glue in the biscuit slot to swell or shrink the wood.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I have the PC biscuit jointer - a bit pricey but its hands down the best I've used.

Comment

The PC 557 seems to be considered the overall best. I've had one for some time now and am very pleased with it. The Dewalt is also considered a very good unit.

Comment

I use a Freud biscuit joiner that was fairly economical and works well.

I agree that the Festool Dominoe system is over priced for most folks.
                      Cheers! - Jim
                      -------------
                      All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by canoeman View Post
                        I have the DeWalt biscuit joiner, and I'm happy with it. I've read positive reviews of the Domino, but it is priced around $700 (could buy three or four DeWalt or Porter Cable biscuit joiners for that price).
                        TOTALLY different tool - No comparison. Besides, why the **** would you buy 3 or four biscuit joiners?

Comment

For the money, the Freud is a good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by ernurse View Post

Trapper D
                            These are the brands that I've personally used: Dewalt, PC, and Lamello. My pick is the PC (the newest version of the 557).

If you do decide on the PC 557, check out the following links:
                            http://www.huntfamily.com/pc557.cfm

The first link describes the patent problems involved with biscuit jointers.

http://www.woodworking.org/WC/GArchi...mattbisc1.html
                            Last edited by Paladin2025; 04-29-2007, 03:25 AM. Reason: added a link

Comment

There's a good deal if it isn't sold on Woodnet Swap and Sell. Don't know if I can post the URL here. Look at 4/23/07 with a price drop to $100 on 4/26. It's a PC 557 with lot's of biscuits.
                              Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

Working...
                              X