X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning TS3650 Table Top

I am still puttiing my TS3650 together. I am trying to clean the table top but there are blotches that I can not get out. "Rust" already exposed to the air 2 weeks?? I have used mineral spirits, WD 40 with 00 steel wool and nothing happens. I had cleaned and waxed the left extension table last weekend and it is fine, it really mainly on the base table top. The right extension has a little but not as bad. What else can I do other than live with it?

Re: Cleaning TS3650 Table Top

I know some guys here clean their table with some fine grit sandpaper on their orbital sander. I had some crop up on my 3650 last year as well (I know, I should clean my tools more often) and I used the T-9 rust remover package that removes rust and cleans the top before spraying on their sealer. Worked pretty good.

Comment

I cleaned my table with Simple Green, about 4 days after assembly. I followed that up with some Minwax Paste Wax. So far no rust.

Comment

I used simple green with no impact. I just got through using 400 girt WD sandpaper and WD 40. I don't think its rust more ground in grease to the level its become part of the table. Should I let the WD40 and or mineral spirits soak in for a while or put it on scrub and wipe it off?

Comment

If it's grease, try using dishwashing liquid and a green scrubbie pad. That should get all of it out. Make sure to rinse it thoroughly and dry it. You might be able to displace any remaining water with WD40, and wipe off again. Then immediately cover with paste wax.
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Lots of threads on this very topic but you have most of the answers right here. I used the 3-M pads and WD-40 with my pad sander and couldn't believe how subtly the rusty patina had overtaken the table in a year of so. When I was done it was such a steely gray that I couldn't see pencil marks on it any longer. I'm eventually going to use the Boeshield protectant but the paste was has worked well.

Later,
            Chiz
            Later,
            Chiz

Comment

WD-40 with green scruby pad was the only thing that seemed to work, I didn't want to sand it and steel wool did nothing.

Comment

Ya new machines, they look so darn pretty, wait till you actually use it. All those scratches you'll be putting on the surface will drive you nuts, LOL... Come on man, this is a steel surface, use something that will get at those rust spots (not a grinder) and then protect it. I will use my sander w/400 grit or 600 grit and a degreaser, then protect it with paste wax. The swirly marks from using my sander looks so cool, almost pretty, LOL...
                Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Kinda late, but I think I may have an answer. At least one that worked for me. I had exactly the same problem and also with a brand new Ridgid (3650). I had to coffee mug rings and a couple nondescript blotches from some chemical reaction of a latex glove soaked wet from mineral spirit and placed on the table top for 30 minutes. It looked bad and I was loosing sleep.

This is what I did:

- stripped all surface coatings (wax and or oil) with mineral spirit.
                  - wiped the table top clean and dry and let it dry some more (about 30 minutes)
                  - found dish washing scrubbing pads in the kitchen, not metal but that synthetic stuff that you soak with water and detergent to wash dishes. The kind I found felt pretty rough. Steel wool would likely work too but it's not just about the scrubbing/polishing material.

With the table top dry I started scrubbing in long moves front to back and back to front, not in circular or random motions and never sideways. Each scrubbing motion covered approximately the width of the pad, and then I moved a couple inches over to the yet un-scrubbed area. The direction of scrubbing is key. The thing is that Ridgid cast iron table tops are not finished with swirls but rather in a straight directional fashion.

When you scrub the surface along the tiny ridges of the table top then a much larger area of the scrubbing particles of the scrubbing pad actually get into the ridges then if you scrub sideways. The latter is basically trying to shave off the tiny ridges of the top while the blotching stays unaffected inside the valleys between those ridges.

That's where the discoloration is hard to get at if you scrub across the ridge. If you do (scrub randomly or left to right and back) one or both may happen - scrubbing will be ineffective, or you will make the table top actually look worse because there will be a new direction to the top's pattern.

The whole process is manual, no power tools but I had to push the pad pretty hard against the cast iron surface. Scrubbing took about 15 minutes, as I did the whole surface to make sure that it looks uniform. After the process I vacuumed the surface thoroughly, as there was a small quantity of very fine black dust, and then I wiped the whole thing with mineral spirits.

The table top looks like brand new. I'm tempted to say it actually looks better. Now I keep my coffee mugs away from the saw.

Hope someone finds this helpful.
                  In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Go to Lowe's and get some "Barkeeper's Friend" scouring powder. It has oxalic acid in it instead of chlorine (which comet has). The oxalic acid removes corrosion stains. Scrub it with a little barkeeps and water, wipe with a rinse rag and immediately wipe with wax or WD-40 (before the moisture dries or it will flash rust).

The Barkeep's Friend is in the section with the cleaning supplies next to where the metal polishes and Johnson's wax is. Don't know if they have it in HD (none near here), but some grocery stores also carry it.

Go
                    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

When I took the quilt off my scroll saw this spring the table was solid rust! Norm would have shot me. After playing with 400 grit, steel wool, and WD 40 I got out the heavy stuff----Navel Jelly. It foamed up, wiped it down and reapplied till it cleared of all rust, then instead of washing down with water as recommended I flushed- wiped with WD till clean, then waxed. I have now closed in my barn work space and added an AC which has a dry setting so this spring will be better.

Comment

Down here in Florida it is hot. Working in my un-air conditioned workshop generates copious amounts of perspiration which, due to Murphy's Law of selective gravitation, causes it to drip on cast iron surfaces.

I just finished cleaning my 3650 top the day before yesterday after a long session building an entertainment center.

I used basically the same procedure as documented by Darius previously in this thread.

Instead of the plastic scouring pads, I used the sponges with Scotch-brite on one side (available in grocery stores). I used the sponge dry and sprayed WD-40 on the saw top and then scrubbed. The dry sponge was an excellent cushion between my fingers and the table top. For stubborn areas, the pad removed stains that a Scotch-brite pad on an old B & D Mouse, that I usually use for cleaning, wouldn't touch.

After cleaning, wipe with mineral spirits and then two coats of paste wax with about two hours between coats.

Note that the common thread to most methods of cleaning is WD-40 with some kind of a mild abrasive pad.

I also clean the rip fence rails with Mineral Spirits and apply paste wax to them also.

After cleaning the blade, I also wax it for protection and to reduce friction. Occasionally, I raise the blade and manually rub both sides with a block of paraffin, also available in grocery stores. (It is used for preserving jellies and jams).

Comment

Working...
                        X