Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10"Miter saw with exactaline

Hello all
    I am returning my Rigid 10"Miter saw with laser.Could not get the fence square to the blade.Could not twist the fence far enough without having to drill out the adjustment hole to get me another .030 thousanths or so.
    Im pissed because I had such a good experiance with my Rigid Table saw,I thought that the miter saw woul;d go smooth.Hopefully It was just a fluke and I will get a perfect one tomorrow.
    Marc

Re: 10"Miter saw with exactaline

Do a search - it seems to be a common problem with this saw.

Comment

Beware of CMS's that have the letter "R" at the start of their name.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I have read all the post on this problem about the different bolts and adjusting the arm and I decided to put it back in the box and get another one.
        Bingo,Dead Nuts right out of the box.I would suggest anyone who has the same problem with not enough adjustment room to square the fence to just bring it back.Obviously this is an assembly problem and we need to weed out all the bad ones.
        Other than that slight problem the saw is good quality and very solid.Sometimes you have to deal with a little agrevation or else spend another 200.00 for a higher end saw.(and it still may happen)
        Marc

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
          Beware of CMS's that have the letter "R" at the start of their name.
          Not a big fan of the rigid CMS I gather

Comment

hey jedc,

I have no experience with the ridgid cms, but I have read quite a few complaints on this site about it. Although there is the adjustment problem that you have solved with your exchange, it may be a good idea to see if the saw cuts square when the blade is set to a bevel as that has come up as a common problem too. Sadly has been reported that this second problem is not fixable and has many owners guessing a 1-2 degree correction by hand when making bevel cuts. If I were you I'd give it a good testing before it has the potential to come up when you are actually working with it.

You can search for threads on this problem too, it seems quite prevalent.

Good luck

*By the way, just to be clear, the first problem is the alignment being wrong out of the box and apparently a little tough to adjust with the instructions provided (though there is a method not included in the manual that has been discussed), the second problem is that when you do have the saw and fence alignment correct and square it will still not make a square bevel cut.
            Last edited by woodenstickers; 04-29-2007, 07:33 PM. Reason: to clarify
            A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

jedc43,

I had to do exactly the same thing and the results were the same as you. Right out of the box the second one was Dead Nuts. A few months ago I bought one of the 100 tooth Ridgid blades for my saw. The 90 tooth Ridgid blade works well on my 3650 but the 100 tooth for the miter saw doesn't cut much better than the blade that came on the saw and it was expensive. If you plan to upgrade/change blades I would be interested in the results.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by woodenstickers View Post
                I have no experience with the ridgid cms, but I have read quite a few complaints on this site about it. Although there is the adjustment problem that you have solved with your exchange, it may be a good idea to see if the saw cuts square when the blade is set to a bevel as that has come up as a common problem too. Sadly has been reported that this second problem is not fixable and has many owners guessing a 1-2 degree correction by hand when making bevel cuts. If I were you I'd give it a good testing before it has the potential to come up when you are actually working with it.
                jedc43, woodenstickers answer nailed it. The table on the Ridgid, Ryobi and also the Craftsman CMS's have a tendency to flex when making a bevel cut if you don't lower the blade head at the same angle as the bevel angle you're trying to cut. In other words, to much vertical downward pressure when making a cut can cause the table to flex which will cause the front part of the bevel to not be square with the back of the bevel. I have had a bevel cut on a 1x4 board be as much as 3° off from the front of the board to the back.
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Wow,
                  I should of saved 99.00 and bought the ryobi at HD for 99.00.I thought I was getting a quality saw but I guess I was wrong.\
                  I think I will just deal with the problem and upgrade later.I am a beginner and my first project for this saw is something that accuracy is not needed.
                  Any recomendations on a good CMS?
                  Marc

Comment

I have the dewalt and it has been a work horse and always accurate. If I have to get another one (I've had it for somewhere in the 6-7 year range) I will get a dewalt again. No laser or clamp included though.
                    A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Working...
                    X