X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaker End Table

Here is my attempt at a shaker end table. It is still in progress. The pic is of dryfit. All mortice and tenon joinery using plunge router and dado stack. the top is two boards jointed on router table and glued together, grain doesnt match too good but its all they had.

I am thinking about putting a 45 chamfer on the bottom edge of the table.
    I think i will affix the top using table top clips.
    I think i will stain it a darker color, mahogony or walnut maybe?
    i will probably shorten the legs a bit as i think it may be too high (what do i know?)
    i may taper the inside edges of the legs up to the bottom shelf apron, maybe not.
    i gotta figure out how to glue this up, lots of joints, i expect the glue will be drying before im done with the glueup.

Input as to items listed above appreciated. Criticism is also appreciated, can only help me learn.

Re: Shaker End Table

K47K, good work

Nice proportions, I wouldn't change the height on the legs... looks good.

On glue up I would glue two sides (with the stretchers) first and let dry, then add the front and rear aprons and lower shelf (let dry). Then you can fasten the top with buttons or clips.

A chamfer or rounded edge would look good on the top.
    I think a nice walnut stain then some poly or laquer would go nice.
    Cheers! - Jim
    -------------
    All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

I'd agree with what Jbergstrom said. Really fine work on the design and proportions are good, too.

A simple roundover on the top would be nice.

Doing the glue-up in stages is the only way to do it. Otherwise, like you said, you'll have dried glue by the time you get to the final parts. Plus, holding them all in place would be far too complex.

That's a really fine piece, K47k. Good work!!
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

k47k,

Nice work on the table it came out great. If you would like to try something fun as an addition to your table design try adding a 'lambs tongue', I think that is what it is called, to the under side of the top. Start and stop your 45 degree chamfer on the underside of your table top about a 1/2 inch from the corners. Then file, sand or plane a transition from the 45 to a rounded underside corner a little thicker than the 45 along the bottom edge and back to the 45 on the other edge. It is easy to do and since the 'tongue' is thicker than the 45 if you don't like it you can continue the 45 all the way to the corner. Don't try to make the tongue too dominant just a little thicker than the depth of the 45 will do. When you ease the top of the 45 on the underside, sand it very slightly more aggressively than normal. That way the transition to the lambs tongue will flow better. Of course it is not strictly in keeping with Shaker style pieces and not too many people will notice it but you can point it out as a personalization to the design.

Tom

Comment

When you make mine please shorten the legs by about 2" I'll stain it myself and don't roundover anything I like the clean sharp look of it.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. The lambs tongue sounds interesting, will have to try that out on a piece of scrap.

Comment

Project #2 complete. Again, not perfect, but pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by k47k View Post
                Project #2 complete. Again, not perfect, but pretty good.
                I also like the sharp look of the edges.

To me "not perfect" adds character to the piece.

Nice job!

Comment

L@@ks good

What kind of finish did you use?
                  Cheers! - Jim
                  -------------
                  All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

The stain is Golden Oak, i used 3 coats of minwax poly, satin.

Comment

Great job, I like the looks of the satin finish
                      Cheers! - Jim
                      -------------

Comment

Working...
                      X