Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something other than AC1022 miter clamp?

Been practicing cuts with the 3650 and have come to the conclusion that an auxillary fence for the miter gauge that had a clamp to hold the piece for crosscuts, particulary miter cuts, is for me a necessity.

So I plan on gluing/laminating two pieces of hardwood and screwing them to the holes in the gauge. Rabetting with the router or dado to fit a t-track on top. But I can't find a clamp that works. I've been looking at the Rockler site:

But it doesn't appear that the bolt that clamps the wood is long enough. Any ideas, pics, suggestions appreciated.
    You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.

Re: Something other than AC1022 miter clamp?

Think I found it at Woodcraft:

Comment

Your idea of adding a fence and hold down is a good one but I'm not so sure that you'll be any more satisfied with the results you get than you are now. The problem with the Ridgid stock miter gauge and many OEM miter gauges is that they don't fit snuggly enough in the miter slot to give repeatable results.

For not a whole lot of money you could take your fence and hold down idea and mount it on a the Incra V27 and end up with a system that will give you repeatable results.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Now you've gone and and done it

I really like the Kreg KMS7101. But at almost $100 it's twice as much as the V27; which probably would suit me just fine.

I'll wait a week or so and if Amazon doesn't run one of their 20% specials I'll 'settle' for the Incra.

Comment

Here ya go, 20% off one item at Rockler. You'll have to pay freight with Rockler but IIRC Amazon just recently had a special on these so I doubt if it'll be on special again for awhile.

*To get 20% off one item, simply place your order at Rockler.com by clicking on any link above or entering promotion code V7801 at checkout. When you checkout, you will have an option to pick which item will be discounted. The discount will be taken when your order is processed internally and will not be calculated in your shopping cart total. If you order a quantity greater than one of the same item, you will receive the discount on one item only. Offer expires 5/6/07. Sorry, this offer cannot be applied to power tools, Leigh dovetail jigs, gift cards and sale priced items. Some products and special offers available only online. This offer cannot be combined with other offers or applied to previous orders. Rockler Woodworking and Hardware reserves the right to limit quantities, correct errors or omissions and modify or end this promotion at any time. Retail coupon code #1210.
          Last edited by BadgerDave; 05-01-2007, 09:02 AM.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I was watching an ebay auction for what looked like a Woodcraft branded 1000se. Went for more than I was willing to pay for it.

Going to hold out till the last day of the Rockler promo to make up my mind.

I really like the Kreg KMS7101

Meanwhile, I think I'll try peening the oem gauge; I ordered the toggle clamp today and have some Incra t-tracks in my cart on Amazon.

Comment

Peening the oem miter gauge doesn't seem to take any of the slop out. I'm still in the process of getting my shop together so I'm going to wait and hope for an Amazon sale.

Comment

Have you thought about drilling and tapping the stock miter gauge - then using a set screw to take the slop out? Still think that the kreg or incra gauges are obviously better options but it would cost you almost nothing to try it out...

Comment

Have you thought about drilling and tapping the stock miter gauge
                  Sorry for the delay in responding. I don't have a drill press and I broke down and bought the Incra V27 from Rockler.

Also, as it turns out, the hold down clamp from Woodcraft wasn't worth the money. It's itsy bitsy and overpriced. Should have bought those on ebay.

Comment

Working...
                  X