rails on 3612

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rails on 3612

Just recently purchased a 3612 from HD, the last one in the state. Picked it up for 469. Extremely happy about that. However the only problem I have is this last one was a floor model. Heh, nothing was exactly assembled right. Took me a good day to go through the whole setup process methodically to make sure it was assembled as per specs. Anyhow, completely happy with what the purchase but herein lies the problem, whoever put the machine together never installed the rails for the fence. All HD had lying around was the rails for a 2412 told me to take them home and use them until I get the right rails from ridgid. Already contacted ridgid said they would get me the rails but they wouldnt be available until sometime in october. I installed the 2412 rails assuming that they would work, seems like the tolerances are slightly different i dont know. Seems like the clear plastic ruler markers? on the fence are running flush against the edge of the cast iron table. Was thinking about just taking some washers and backing off the rear rail about an eighth to 1/4 inch and it should work out ok until i receive the proper rails for instalation or removing these markers. I can wing something but if anyone has any ideas let me know.

Thanks in advance

Josh

IIRC, the back rails do not need to be directly on the saw, ie. they can be shimmed. The front rails do need to be flush against the cast iron. I'd take a straight edge and put it along the front to be sure the rail will fit like it's supposed to. If the tape is overhanging slightly, I'd just score it off with a knife for now. (btw, how do you know you got a 3612 with 2424 rails? the 2424 looks very similar except for the fence)

Comment

its 2412 model of rails not 2424 anyhow 2412 is what the box said. Home depot gave someone the 3612 rails for a 2412 and i got the 2412 rails for the 3612. will have the right rails in a month i guess, so i guess i will shim the rear back and take off the plastic clips that are rubbing against the front of the table until the right rails arrive. Just jonesing to use the saw that is all if anyone else has idead lemme know thanks for the continued input .

Josh

Comment

The 2412 rails are a bit cheesier, the new rails will be worth it. Shimming evenly both front and back is possible while maintaining square. Did you get the very thin brass shims with your rails? They are the secret to maintaining square after spacing with washers or something. HTH
        \"Is it Friday yet?\"

Comment

Aluminum tape, similar to duct tape, also works very well for shimming. IMO, in some cases alot better than brass shims. It sticks in place, and if it is a touch too much, or not enough, go with too much. The adhesive will compress to get that "just right" fit your looking for.
          John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Working...
          X