X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jointer VS. Router Table Help

I have a small 1 car garage shop and am trying to economize on space wherever possible. Being a novice woodworker I'm wondering if I can get as good an edge on lumber with a straight bit on a table mounted router as I can with a dedicated jointer. I have a plan for a shaker style table that calls for the boards for the top to be jointed.
    A Benchdog ProMax cast iron table mounted on the left side of my TS3650 has really piqued my interest. If I follow this route what will I be losing by not getting the dedicated jointer? I know the other benefits of stationary routing will be a big boost to the capabilities of my small humble shop. I have to move fast while some windfall monies are still available. Any suggestions, ideas, tips will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Jointer VS. Router Table Help

I have read many articles in magazines about building a jig to route the edges of boards for jointing. I have not read anything indicating a router table to be useful for this task. I would imagine it is possible to do, but haven't tried. I have an old jointer I bought from a co-worker.
    If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

New plywood edge and a flush trim bit will edge join, but only a jointer can face join.
      Only a surfer knows the feeling. Billabong ca. 1985 or so

Comment

My shop space is even smaller than yours. A small alcove off the garage to store everything, then move out into the garage to work, put it all back at the end of the day. I've added a router table insert to my TS2400 including an adjustable fence that allows me to edge joint boards. It does a good job on short boards. I read recently that a jointer can reasonably joint boards that are twice the total length of the jointer's fence. Well, with my set up, I think anything much longer than the total length of the fence (22 in.) is starting to push it. Of course that may also be my technique/skill. I've got several straight bits, including a 2" long one that will let me joint 2x material.

If I had the space I'd go for a jointer and thickness planner, but adding another bay to the garage is a nonstarter.

Dick
        Dick

Comment

A router will edge join as well as a jointer and in some respects is better. You can edge join wavy or straight or whatever. I have a 5' table so I have no problem on length. You will need a split fence to join properly.

Comment

I used a router for many years before I bought a jointer and had excellent results.

Comment

You can get a straight edge from a router or a TS....IF the board is flat. Without a flat board, you won't have a 90 degree reference edge to the face. Buying S2S lumber helps, but won't ensure a flat board. One of the two primary functions of a jointer is to provide flat reference face prior to giving it a straight 90 degree adjacent edge (it's second function).

Either way, IMO a jointer is the easiest way to straighten and flatten a board. It's always set up and takes well under a minute from start to finish in most cases. My sequence for dimensioning before joining is the jointer (face and edge), planer (opposite face), and TS (opposite and edge and length).

Comment

Well guys, thanks for the heads up on this. I just got the ok from the LOML to use some of the windfall $$. I really like the idea of adding a router tables versatility into my mix of shop equipment, the ability to apply it to my current project needs, and the fact that I can do it within the footprint of my TS3650. I'm off to Woodcraft to see if they will price match ToolKings $289.99.

Comment

John Lucas of Woodshopdemos.com shows how to joint using a router.
                  There is also a demo on how to do it with a guided tools system on the sight.

There is a way to face joint wood using a hand plane and some sighting sticks.
                  Many craftsmen never use anything but a hand plane. However unless your looking for the therapy offered hearing the hand plane swoshing and snicking through wood, shaving paper thin cuttings use a jointer.
                  Rev Ed

Comment

I appreciate all the info guys, but the windfall monies got appropriated by a number of car repairs and pet issues. When things calm down I'll get the tools needed. Thanks again.
                    Hector

Comment

Originally posted by Hector B View Post
                      Well guys, thanks for the heads up on this. I just got the ok from the LOML to use some of the windfall $$. I really like the idea of adding a router tables versatility into my mix of shop equipment, the ability to apply it to my current project needs, and the fact that I can do it within the footprint of my TS3650. I'm off to Woodcraft to see if they will price match ToolKings $289.99.
                      Hrrm.. at that price, and given the vendor, are you by chance looking at the Bench Dog ProMax? If so, lemme tell you, I LOVE it. Also, I ordered mine through ToolKing and they threw in a pair of Bench Dog featherboards (they run about $20-ish, so make sure you ask about that!).

Hope some more windfall money come through for you.

Comment

The monies came back, and I got the B-Dog ProMax. Woodcraft matched the Amazon/ToolKing price of $269 + $20 shipping. So with tax I paid $307. The $18 was well worth it for the immediate gratification. No feather boards though. Yippppeee anyway.
                        Say W_J, could you look at my post in general woodworking? I'm asking some pretty basic questions, but you having purchased one and mounted it to your 3650 may be able to guide me a bit. Thanks,
                        Hector

Comment

Working...
                        X