X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dado anyone?

Is there a standard table insert for dadao blades for my new ts 3650? Also, What is a good Dado set, and what is a reasonable price for an intermediate to advanced woodhacker like me? I've been looking and there seems to be quite a spread of prices. I've been looking at the Freud Pro set (94.00) and Infinity dadonator (180.00). Nothin' worse than a tool that doesn't work and I want whatever I get, to work in plywood too. I have a craftsman adjustable that makes bad round bottomed dados (stop laughing) so I know I need a stacked set. If I need to pony up big green ok but I would prefer not to throw money away unecessarily, It is hard to come by. Appreciate any advice, Thanks.

Re: Dado anyone?

If you plan on cutting anything wider than 1/2" on the 3650, you should make your own insert. The stock one doesn't have the space for anything more than that. I use the Freud Pro set and am happy with that set. It's not the greatest but does a decent job. I have used it with plywood too, for dados and rabbits.

Making your own inserts is actually quite easy. There is another thread in this part of the forum with several techniques for making them. Hope this helps. Good luck.
    If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

There are alot of good dado sets....Freud, DW, Forrest, Ridge Carbide, Infinty. As you push toward the $200 mark you get top shelf sets that tend to have more teeth for a cleaner cut.

I've got a Dewalt 7670 set that replaced a pretty good Freud SD208 set (same as the "Pro" you mentioned), and I'm pretty happy with it for ~ $90, but it's often more than that and I'd have to rethink it as the price goes up.

The Dadonator set is extremely well rated. If you're at all considering the Infinity Dadonator for $180, and you're looking to upgrade the mediocre stock blade on your 3650, consider grabbing one of their package deals. They offer a package that includes the Dadonator, 24T TK ripper, and 50T Combomax TK blades for $235 shipped....you essentially get the combo blade free. All top shelf blades, that are well matched for you saw. You're likely to find that the set will cover most, if not all, of your needs. I'm currently trying out the Combomax and like it alot.

Dadonator Plus
      epinions.com/DW7670 review
      Last edited by hewood; 05-03-2007, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rickdom@usamedia.tv View Post
        Is there a standard table insert for dadao blades for my new ts 3650? Also, What is a good Dado set, and what is a reasonable price for an intermediate to advanced woodhacker like me? I've been looking and there seems to be quite a spread of prices. I've been looking at the Freud Pro set (94.00) and Infinity dadonator (180.00). Nothin' worse than a tool that doesn't work and I want whatever I get, to work in plywood too. I have a craftsman adjustable that makes bad round bottomed dados (stop laughing) so I know I need a stacked set. If I need to pony up big green ok but I would prefer not to throw money away unecessarily, It is hard to come by. Appreciate any advice, Thanks.
        Some Mondays, you feel like a wet dog smells

Comment

Thanks hewood. Went with your advice and purchased the infinity Pakage. It comes with 3 blades, the dado set a rip and a crosscut. Looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by rickdom@usamedia.tv View Post
            Thanks hewood. Went with your advice and purchased the infinity Pakage. It comes with 3 blades, the dado set a rip and a crosscut. Looking forward to it.
            I've tried some of their router bits but have only tried one of the 3 blades in that set. In general their cutters are definitely high end. It'll be interesting to hear about your experiences. Please report back once you've put some miles on them.
            Last edited by hewood; 05-03-2007, 06:25 PM.

Comment

I use the Freud Pro set and it works fine for dados. But when I use it for rabbets in plywood two opposing sides are cut deeper than the other two opposing sides. It is very frustrating when I forget to raise/lower the cutters after the first cut. I may in fact be doing something wrong but I don't know what. I have been tempted to chuck the thing and buy one of the the Dadonators but so far I just suffer through and cuss.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
                I use the Freud Pro set and it works fine for dados. But when I use it for rabbets in plywood two opposing sides are cut deeper than the other two opposing sides. It is very frustrating when I forget to raise/lower the cutters after the first cut. I may in fact be doing something wrong but I don't know what. I have been tempted to chuck the thing and buy one of the the Dadonators but so far I just suffer through and cuss.
                Tom - I may not be understanding correctly, but it sounds like it might be possible that you've got a defective arbor. If that's the case, a different dado stack won't help. There are corrections for the arbor, ranging from JB Weld on the defect to replacing the arbor.

If you're talking about the little "bat ears" caused by the point of the ATB grind in the teeth of the outside cutters, that's a way of life with just about any stacked dado I know of. A router bit is a solution if they're not acceptable to you.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by hewood; 05-06-2007, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Heywood,

When I try to rabbet all four faces of a piece of plywood I cut one side, spin the plywood 90 degrees, rabbet the next side, spin it again for the third side, make the cut and then again for the fourth. The rabbet on each parallel side is the same depth but the rabbets on the other parallel sides are different depths. I haven't taken the time to set up feather boards on the saw fence maybe that would help. I have been convinced that there is something in my technique. But I find it odd that every time I cut rabbets the same thing happens even though I try to apply the same pressure above the cutters. Maybe the saw is possessed.

I will check the arbor this afternoon.

Thanks,

Tom

Comment

heywood,

My arbor seems to be OK. The threads spiral down to the collar. There does not seem to be any missing material.

Thank you for the pictures. They really helped with identification.

Tom

Comment

I have had the same problem with ply. If I recollect correctly, the shallower cuts are always on the long-grain cut. I think the wider cutting surface of the dado blade actually pushes the wood up some on the long-grain cuts, even though I use a feather board over the work, or it tears more wood out on the cross-grain. By feeding slower, it minimizes it. I think another problem may be my dado set needs a visit to the sharpening shop!!. I have also used a solid board over the top instead of a feather board, but I don't recommend it as it eliminates kick-back protection.
                      Note: I also had this "appearance" with a previous dado set that had fewer cutting teeth, but it was caused by the outer cutters leaving a small groove deeper than the rest of the cut. The bottom of the dado was actually even with the intersecting dadoes.

Hope you solve the problem

Go
                      Last edited by Gofor; 05-07-2007, 09:01 PM.
                      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Can I ask another dado question. Can you use just a 2 wing chipper for a dado cut. I needed a 3/16 dado even thought the board sold as 1/4 it wasnt.My freud dado set doesnt have a combo of two to make it but one chipper would of worked.

Thanks

Comment

This is when you use a sacrifical fence. So you can have part of the stack under the fence. If it is in the middle of the board run it bump the fence and run it again.
                          Last edited by TOD; 05-17-2007, 07:10 PM.
                          SSG, U.S. Army
                          Retired
                          K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

I've done some research and bought and use the Freud SD 508. Most recently in the Tauntons Tool Test for 2007 they rated the forrest and Freud SD's as the best dado blades. You will find that the freud dadonator has a history of being problematic as far as accuracy goes.

Good luck in your decision.

Comment

Thanks to all for the advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X