X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oven cleaner

Has anyone heard that oven cleaner can ruin the bond between carbide and metal? I've been using it to clean resin and pitch from my router bits and saw blades. It works good. Now, Infinity is saying don't use it on the dadonator for the above reason. Is this true for all or is this a ploy to get us to buy expensive blade cleaners.?

Re: oven cleaner

I don't know if the oven cleaner will harm the brazing or not, but I do know it's the most abrasive and messiest of all methods I've tried, so I've abonded the oven cleaner...it's also more likely to remove the lettering on your blade.

I've tried several cleaning methods with good success...some are pretty inexpensive too....409, Simple Green, LA's Totally Awesome, Goo Gone, Dawn and water, Boeshield bladenbit cleaner, and WD-40 have all worked well. The spritz on degreasers are the easiest to use...I've been pretty happy with the Totally Awesome for $1...spray it on, hit it with a stiff brass brush or tooth brush, wipe it off, and I'm done in about 3-4 minutes.

Since there are so many alternatives, there's nothing to be gained by sticking with the oven cleaner.

Comment

I would stay away from oven cleaner. It can harm the carbide, or brazing, on the saw.

I use Simple Green. One bottle has lasted a loooong time for me.

Michael

Comment

I have heard that oven cleaner will cause the teeth on a blade to come loose. Since, as hewood says, there's so many other products that work, I won't use oven cleaner. I happened to have a bottle of goo gone hanging around, so I used that and some brushes I had and it worked fine.

I've also heard that soaking them in coffee will work. I never end up with enough coffee left over to test that theory though.
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I use Lloyd's Degreaser on my blades, MN. made product, USA, USA, USA, USA!!!
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I use the cheap oven cleaner from the dollar store. Does a great cleaning job and is fast as well as cheap. If it could eat the weld off of a steel tool, how would they keep it in those cheap little cans on the store shelves?
            info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by papadan View Post
              I use the cheap oven cleaner from the dollar store. Does a great cleaning job and is fast as well as cheap. If it could eat the weld off of a steel tool, how would they keep it in those cheap little cans on the store shelves?
              You certainly got a point there papadan, unless the inside of the can has a coating of some sort. Didn't really think about that one, but it is a point never the less.
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Cans aren't welded...they're seam-sealed with a rolled edge usually. Personally, I just don't like oven cleaner (too many memories of drudge-work most likely). I'll use anything other than that!!!

Oh...and when you make the coffee, it's MADE IN THE USA (insert your country here).

Comment

If you're married, steal some of the wifes nail polish remover and cotton balls or cotton swabs. Works pretty good. One quick swipe usually takes care of the goo.
                  ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

Aren't the teeth brazed on with some type of brass amalgam?
                    Oven cleaner requires oxygen to work, there isn't enough oxygen in a can of oven cleaner for it to react.
                    www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Proof required. Silly thread that nobody has offered any proof of, just hear-say. LMAO
                      info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

At the risk of having "the Dog" after me, I'd like to comment VASandy's coffee tip. I often use coffee to remove cutting paste etc. on stainless work, when I've gone overboard on finish, and don't want to risk messing with intricate grinding work.
                        For any SKI buffs out there, if you somehow forgot to service your ski's at the end of the season, and your tour skis are a mess of "klister-wax," then a soak in instant coffee (not decaf.) will do the trick, with a nice deep cleaning of the sole, that organic solvents won't do unless you leave them for several days.

Comment

OK...so the fact that oven cleaner will remove the braze on the saw teeth is a myth. Maybe something for Mythbusters to test!!!

Comment

In "The Table Saw Book" by Kelly Mehler, he states,

"Stay away from oven-cleaning products because they tend to break down the cobalt binder that holds the carbide particles together."

He further states the following: "Either paint remover (not paint thinner) or ammonia in warm water will often remove pitch and resins."

Reference: page 61

Comment

I had a yucky old saw blade that I tried the coffee method with a couple months ago. I soaked the blade in coffee overnight and the next day sponged the blade clean under running tap water. It worked great.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X