nails for rail & stile doors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nails for rail & stile doors

I'm bulding my first kitchen counter. this will be a temporary until we can renovate the whole kitchen in about 3or 4 years.

I'm building the cupboard doors out of 1x3 cedar with cedar wainscoting as the panel. I will use a t&g router bit set to make these. my question is what size of nails to you use where the rail & stile join up? I'm thinking if I use a 3/4" nail because the nailer sets it in a bit it may come through the facing. should I use 5/8"?

also what is your opinion on the cedar wainscoting? should I glue the strips together or just slide them in and a leave a bit of room for expansion?

Re: nails for rail & stile doors

Originally posted by jeffntanya View Post
    I'm bulding my first kitchen counter. this will be a temporary until we can renovate the whole kitchen in about 3or 4 years.

I'm building the cupboard doors out of 1x3 cedar with cedar wainscoting as the panel. I will use a t&g router bit set to make these. my question is what size of nails to you use where the rail & stile join up? I'm thinking if I use a 3/4" nail because the nailer sets it in a bit it may come through the facing. should I use 5/8"?

also what is your opinion on the cedar wainscoting? should I glue the strips together or just slide them in and a leave a bit of room for expansion?
    To me cedar is way to soft for cabinet doors, but if your only keeping them for 3 or 4 years, do what you want. As far as nails, I don't put nails in cabinet doors. Not quite sure if your planning on keeping your cabinets or what? Is it just the counter your removing in 3 or 4 years? The dings and scrapes, your doors will receive can turn your beautiful job into a redo job down the line, especially if you have kids. That is if your planning on keeping your doors. If your concern about your glue joints then you should consider dowels instead of nails. A nice dowel pattern on doors can and do look choice.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I would glue the rail and stiles, no nails.

Comment

Sometimes I pop a brad through the stub tenons in the back corners of my doors, depending on the space and clamps available at glue up time. I can then remove the clamps and stack the doors on top of one another until the glue sets. It is difficult for me to see if the doors are flat when they are in the clamps. By using brads in the corners I can take the doors out of the clamps and inspect them for flatness and, if required, do what I have to to flatten them.

Comment

Working...
        X