Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with 3650 Trunnion

I just bought myself the TS3650 . Yeah

I am having problems with alignment of the blade to the miter slot.
    When I thought I finally had the alignment, I tightened everything but then had problems tilting the blade with the bevel crank. It would only move about 5 degrees. I loosened up the trunnion at all points and tried the bevel crank again. It made a small popping sound then moved smoothly to 45 degrees.
    It seems the two trunnions were out of parallel with each other.
    The blade is still not aligned. I am unable to move the trunnion at the front of the saw. Is there a special technique to moving the trunnion? Just by looking at the trunnion is looks like it should be able to move in the front, but I can't budge it.

Help

Re: Need help with 3650 Trunnion

Originally posted by ebanks View Post
    I just bought myself the TS3650 . Yeah

I am having problems with alignment of the blade to the miter slot.
    When I thought I finally had the alignment, I tightened everything but then had problems tilting the blade with the bevel crank. It would only move about 5 degrees. I loosened up the trunnion at all points and tried the bevel crank again. It made a small popping sound then moved smoothly to 45 degrees.
    It seems the two trunnions were out of parallel with each other.
    The blade is still not aligned. I am unable to move the trunnion at the front of the saw. Is there a special technique to moving the trunnion? Just by looking at the trunnion is looks like it should be able to move in the front, but I can't budge it.

Help
    Boy it seems like there is more and more of this. When you say you can't move the front trunion, do you have all the bolts loose? If you do it should move if it isn't moving I suspect the trunion holes are tight on the bolt do to casting flashing. Remove one of the bolts and see if you have play in it if you do the trunion should move.

The other thing is perhaps the table has something that is holding the trunion. This adjustment shouldn't be that hard to make. Both trunions should be parallel to each other and in the same horizontal plane. You should then be able to adjust the rear trunion enough to make it parallel to the mitre gauge slot.

Check everything something I suspect something is holding the trunions out of parallel and whatever that is probably the reason you can't adjust the blade parallel to mitre slot.

You might call Ridgid, I got to believe they have seen this problem it has been reported here at the very least 3 times in the last few weeks.

I one case the poster never got back to say what fixed it. In the other the poster took the saw back. And in one case I believe the guy was able to adjust out the bind and parallel his blade.
    Rev Ed

Comment

I was one that was having the problem. I got the blade parralel to miter slot, however i couldnt get the recommended distance from the throat plate, not an issue since i dont use the stock throat plate.

As far as the binding. this is becuase your trunions are out of alighnment with each other. if you look carefully in the trunion you can see where it is binding. loosen up the trunnion and tap it forward or back to remove the bind.

Comment

I finally got it.

***Note All information and directions that follow are based on looking at the trunnions from the rear access point near the motor.

Originally the front trunnion was shifted to the right all the way. The rear trunnion (toward the motor) was shifted to the left. Once I loosened all the bolts I was still unable to physically move the front trunnion by hand. Very difficult to hit with mallet or block of wood because there is no good access point.

Eventually I found that if I rotated the bevel handwheel a few degrees toward 45 that it would shift the front trunnion from far right to left for me. I adjusted the front trunnion using the bevel hand wheel then tightened the bolts on the front trunnion. I then moved to the adjusting lever on the rear trunnion and moved the lever to align the blade with the miter slot then locked down the center bolt on the rear trunnion. I now rotated the bevel handwheel a few degrees forward and back to align the rear trunnion to the front trunnion before I tightend down the remaining two bolts on the rear trunnion.

My blade is now square to the miter slot and not binding due to non-parallel trunnions.

This parallelism of the trunnions needs to be adressed in the manuals.

From my experience, you can damage the inside of the trunnions due to this misalignment.

Comment

I finally got it.

***Note All information and directions that follow are based on looking at the trunnions from the rear access point near the motor.

Originally the front trunnion was shifted to the right all the way. The rear trunnion (toward the motor) was shifted to the left. Once I loosened all the bolts I was still unable to physically move the front trunnion by hand. Very difficult to hit with mallet or block of wood because there is no good access point.

Eventually I found that if I rotated the bevel handwheel a few degrees toward 45 that it would shift the front trunnion from far right to left for me. I adjusted the front trunnion using the bevel hand wheel then tightened the bolts on the front trunnion. I then moved to the adjusting lever on the rear trunnion and moved the lever to align the blade with the miter slot then locked down the center bolt on the rear trunnion. I now rotated the bevel handwheel a few degrees forward and back to align the rear trunnion to the front trunnion before I tightend down the remaining two bolts on the rear trunnion.

My blade is now square to the miter slot and not binding due to non-parallel trunnions.

From my experience, you can damage the inside of the trunnions due to this misalignment.

I think you came up with and excellent way to adjust your saw. I would think it would work on all saws and solve many problems. Like I said at least 3 or 4 people have reported binding and or the blade hitting the insert when bevel was cranked in.

Thanks for your feedback and I agree Ridgid needs to append their instructions to include parallelism of the the trunions. Especially if their saws requiree the user adjust them. If you think about it the trunions could be set dead on in the factory and locked down tight. Making any adjustment by the owner unnecessary.
          Rev Ed

Comment

I had the exact same problem, from this thread

Agreed that Ridgid needs to modify their instruction manuals to give info on this.

Comment

I finally got it.

If you ever come back to this I would like to thank you I have the exact same prob. and i will try this . you are right the only way to move the frount is with the bevel .

Comment

Ebanks, I am forever in your debt. I spent about an hour and half the other day getting everything aligned only to come back today and find it shifted again. I had to cut some ply at 45 degrees today and I tried to swing the blade and it would stop at about 15 degrees. I remembered reading your post so I came back to take a look at it. I followed your instructions and was able to get everything aligned perfectly with relative ease. The trunnions were not aligned and I never realized that that had been my problem. You saved me from some major future headaches. Thanks again.

Comment

Hmm, this sounds to be the exact same problem that I am having. When I go to adjust the blade to the miter slot, I crank that lever all the way to the left and it won't move the blade enough, so I figured out that I would have to adjust the front trunnion over and go from there, but the front trunnion is stuck in place. I will follow these directions and see if I can get it to budge.

Comment

I am having the same problem with the ts2424, although it doesn't appear the front trunnion can be adjusted enough to give 1/8 inch clearance. I only get 1/16 clearance. It appears to me, that moving the tilt adjustment moves the trunnion, but at 90 degrees the situation hasn't changed.

Comment

Working...
                    X