Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can build a house but not a door??????

I built my house even though I'd consider myself a novice. So far it has not come crashing down.
    Last year my wife and I built a "SHARN" (too big to be a shed, too small to be a barn). It started out as just an excuse to not do yard work, and a quick little 10X10 shed to store junk in some how turned onto a 12X15 two story "SHARN".
    Its now spring clean time, and whats the best way to do yard work?
    Thats right, Build a shed. This one is 12x16. We are calling it a "SHERAGE".
    Now here is my problem: I cant build a damn door. The ones on the "SHARN" have fallen apart. I now have a nesting chickadee to contend with every time I need A 7/16 wrench. So I'll have to wait till shes done nesting to 100% reclaim my "SHARN" and fix the doors.
    Anyone know of a good free site that shows how to make a good set of shed doors? or anyone have any advice?
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Re: I can build a house but not a door??????

How big are the doors and what kind of hinges are you using?

You could make the doors out of exterior grade plywood and face them with 1x4's creating a "barn" or "shed" look...
    Or exterior sheet siding with 1x4's...
    Cheers! - Jim
    -------------
    All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

No offense jbergstrom, but the door doesn't need to be made out of exterior sheathing. Its all in the construction of the door. Gene Bickford give us your dimension on your doors, that is going to tell us what style of door you should build. The lumber quality has alot to do with your doors also, if you buy construction grade pine, look out its going to twist. Proper hardware is a must for door weight, don't want it to sag. Your more than likely to be painting the door, so you really don't need exterior sheathing, which will also have more weight due to the wetness in the sheathing. Then you have to wait at least 1 year before you can paint it. Barn style doors (designs) works pretty darn good, for the opening of sheds. Lets hear your dimensions of your doors.
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

The opening for the sherage is 6'x6'.
        On the sharn I used 1"x8" shiplap.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
          No offense jbergstrom, but the door doesn't need to be made out of exterior sheathing. Its all in the construction of the door. Gene Bickford give us your dimension on your doors, that is going to tell us what style of door you should build. The lumber quality has alot to do with your doors also, if you buy construction grade pine, look out its going to twist. Proper hardware is a must for door weight, don't want it to sag. Your more than likely to be painting the door, so you really don't need exterior sheathing, which will also have more weight due to the wetness in the sheathing. Then you have to wait at least 1 year before you can paint it. Barn style doors (designs) works pretty darn good, for the opening of sheds. Lets hear your dimensions of your doors.
          No sweat Garager just tossing a simple solution out there, plywood wont sag and you can dress it up any way you want. You could even do a hollow core with 1/4" or 3/8" skins etc.
          Cheers! - Jim
          -------------
          All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Ok Gene, just taking a look at this picture you should be able to build one, don't have much time until tonight, got to get back to work. The biggest thing to building these doors are the quality of your lumber, clear is your best resort or very dry straight lumber. Usually when you buy clear lumber, it should already have a low moisture reading. Now you have to build it on a flat surface and not a garage floor. I have a trailer and the trailer is very flat, which works out great for me and that is what I use. Build your frame the way the picture is. Put 1/2" plywood on your frame, make sure door frame is square first. I do use construction adhesive before I place plywood down, I like to use screws, not sheetrock screws. Let this sit for 24hrs w/weights on the corners just for sh!ts and giggles (flat). The hinges can be found at most hardware stores or go to Lee Valley, thats where I like to get my hardware. When I'm back on later, I will get you the picture and size of hinges you'll need, or you can figure it out. The main trick is the lumber, the surface to build and your hardware, You should have no problems w/those 3 things. And someone else might have a different technique for you, we'll see if anyone else will respond to this...Garager...
            After door is built, do what siding that needs to be done or paint it, whatever you want.

Jim everything is cool, I think we're on the same wave here. Plywood is one of the tricks to keeping it from sagging, but green treated plywood can make it twist with all that moisture. I don't think I have ever bought treated anything dry.

http://www.betterbarns.com/EnlargedView.asp?ImageID=118
            Last edited by garager; 05-11-2007, 01:35 PM.
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I built a 12 X 12, I guess it was 7 years ago and pondered the same issue. Then a friend of mine who builds them for a living (you should see HIS workshop!) said I was making it way to complicated. He came over and made mine in 30 minutes. They are indeed simple, but perfectly servicable.

Hope this helps...

Zeno
              Attached Files
              “Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world.” —Thomas Carlyle

Comment

If building a door out of planks,, it is similar to a gate. First, the hinge stile needs to be continuous top to bottom. Second, you need a diagonal from under the top rail's (horizontal piece) farthest edge (opening edge), that braces lower down on the door. This can be one piece that ties into the hinge board at the bottom, or two pieces, one to the middle and one from the opening edge middle to the bottom, that transfer the stress from the outer edge back to the hinge board. This keeps the door from sagging.
                If using ply, the more plys the better. 5/8ths thick 5 ply BCX will hold up much better than 3/4 thick 3 ply CDX. Don't use CDX. It will delaminate and will not last as a door. If using ply, caulk or seal the edges well. This is where the moisture will wick into the wood and destroy it. An edge banding will work well. Use Titebond III or "gorilla glue" to glue it.

Go
                Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Yup Zenophus posted pics similar to what I was getting at...

Good looking shed there Zenophus
                  Cheers! - Jim
                  -------------

Comment

Thanks, Jim....

I had a blast building it. If it wasn't for the shed I would not have a workshop!
                    “Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world.” —Thomas Carlyle

Comment

THANKS GUYS.
                      I think I'll give Zenophus' doors a try. They do look quite simple.

Comment

Working...
                      X