X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of Doors!

Would it be a big faux pas to use exterior doors inside? I'll explain; I'm building a lake house and purchased some "antique" doors for the inside of the house. A set of french doors for my bedroom turns out are 1-3/4" thick exterior doors. Other than being thicker I wouldn't see an issue. I've built the jambs already and will be installing them soon, but if its a no-no I can switch gears.

Thanks,

Clato

I'd insert a picture of my project but not sure how...

Re: Speaking of Doors!

i see no reason you can't, most people dont because and interior door with casing is about $50-80 and an exterior door can be $80-200 or higher. also exterior doors have a door sweep on the bottom tend to have some kind of seal all the way around the door and a fair amount of them tend to be drilled for a dead bolt lock but not all are. but if you built the casings to match your doors then you should be fine.
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

There's no physical reason against using exterior doors inside. There's no code issues I can think of, either...except perhaps lock useage. I'm sure you'll be fine unless there's some odd lock on the door that will fail a code inspection. In which case, you can probably replace it or make the lock non-working.

Post a pic if/when you can, I'd like to see how you put the door in, and made it work with the jamb.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

If using exterior doors inside,make sure the casing/framing will handle the extra weight. Much of the new construction won't handle the additional weight without using long hinge screws that reach all the way to the stud.

Go
        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I've thought about the longer screws and already plan on using them. The doors were not bored for the dead bolts which is suprising since its a glass french door . It may have been installed inside before as there is not sweep. I'll change the lock to an interior style when I get it installed. The jambs also include stationary transoms that will eventually contain stained glass. As soon as I can Pics will follow.

Clato

Comment

I have seen more than one house that had a porch or deck turned addition and kept the french doors as interior doors. One even kept the exterior siding as interior wall finish!
            A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Working...
            X