Looking for a table saw accessory

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a table saw accessory

So I've done my best to scour the internet and have come up empty handed. I *swear* I saw this online at some site I wound up on a few months back. Now I really want it, and can't find it.

Do you know where I can find a magnetic table Saw mat / pad.

Basic description: imagine a flexible refrigerator magnet, big enough to cover you entire table saw. Supposed to protect the cast iron surface from scratches, glue, spills, dings, etc for those of us who have to use our table-saw-top as an assembly area. I think it had a bunch of conversion charts, and other helpful woodworking information on it... but even a blank one would be fine.

Anyone lend a hand?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Looking for a table saw accessory

Does it have to be magnetic?

Use a vinyl tablecloth. Those have some kind of non-slip backing, and you can pop the glue off by rolling them up.

Also, they're cheap.

Do you leave this thing in place for actual table-sawing operations, or just put it on when you're gluing and painting?

Comment

I don't know how rugged a mat you need, but you can buy blank sheet magnets online (used for making signs, etc.). They also have different thicknesses, so maybe you can get one that will be able to take some abuse.
      I'm sure there are plenty of places where you can find more, but here's one site that I found: http://www.magnetking.com/index.html#regularmagnet

Not particularly cheap, but might do the trick. Good luck!

Comment

I seem to recall seeing something like that too, I will try and see if I have a bookmark to the site at home and let everyone know.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by ralphtheplumber View Post
          Does it have to be magnetic?

Use a vinyl tablecloth. Those have some kind of non-slip backing, and you can pop the glue off by rolling them up.

Also, they're cheap.

Do you leave this thing in place for actual table-sawing operations, or just put it on when you're gluing and painting?
          Hi everyone, and thanks for the replies. I would definitely not leave it in place when using the saw. Just for assembly / gluing, etc.

Biscuit, I greatly appreciate you looking for that bookmark / link!

Comment

Wood Junkie,

I did look for a bookmark yesterday but failed to find one. I usually tag sites with items that intrest me or if I think I would be intrested in them later. However, if I did bookmark it, I cant find my way back .

I also did some searching on the internet, but not luck there either.

Sorry,

Comment

W.junkie, Just a couple of thoughts - may or may not be useful.
              1. You could back some 1/4" ply or cheap paneling with the rubber mats (very thin - sold in rolls) that are used to keep throw carpets from sliding. The downside there is storing the ply or paneling.

2. How 'bout some carpeting scraps with carpet padding glued to the back. Should be able to get scraps of both. It wold have to be a low-pile and thin pad so that your assembly table wouldn't give too much.

3. Still 'stuck' on the magnets? Try a sign shop that makes mag signs for truck, etc. You can price the stock there or see if they have signs made up that were never picked up. Although, I'm betting that they strip off the printed decal and re-use it.

Like I said, just some toughts.
              Chiz
              Last edited by ironhat; 05-14-2007, 11:14 AM. Reason: spelling
              Later,
              Chiz
              https://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...lies/frown.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...es/redface.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...s/rolleyes.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...lies/smile.png

Comment

For your further consideration: A magnet left attached to a ferrous object will, in time, magnetize the ferrous object. In other words, the table top of your saw may become a magnet itself. If it does, will hold onto any iron or steel filings. How strongly, I don't know. But, it may become magnetized enough to be more of a pain in the backside to clean off any filings than any advantages it might offer. [Edit]If you live in an area where there is sand and dirt with a lot of iron content, that will also stick to your saw.[/Edit]
                Last edited by VegasGuy; 05-14-2007, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Vegasguy makes a really good point. It worries me what a magnet of that size would do to the motor. I'm certainly no expert on motors...but I think it'd mess w/the windings. Just something extra to worry about, I think.

<edit> The mats sound like a better idea. When I've used the router-mat type things for sanding on the TS, they don't leave any residue to clean up for the most part. Just a quick wipe, then I'll usually hit it with some paste wax.</edit>
                  Last edited by VASandy; 05-14-2007, 08:40 PM. Reason: forgot to add the whole part about the mats...
                  I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the reponses and voicing your concerns. I didn't even think about the magnetizing issue! Not that I ever find myself with metal shavings on my table saw top, but VASandy you've got me paranoid about the motor... especially since I burned out a router motor this weekend. Needless to say, zero clearance router plate inserts are now very high on my list of things to acquire and use...

I had thought about getting 1" wide, 30" long strips of magnetic stuff (think fridge magnets), and gluing those to hardboard. The main issue there is where, in my crowded shop, to store a big 27 x 55" rectangle!?

Anyway, I think I am going to go with a combination of your suggestions: A non-slip "router" mat glued or taped or somehow attached (sewed!?) to a good quality vinyl faced tablecloth. That should give me the flexible surface I need for storage, while also protecting the cast iron from stray glue molecules and inadvertent scratches, dings, etc. The only drawback I see of this setup is the small amount of flex that could occur and send things out of square, with the compression of the non-slip mat. But I'm going to consider that as negligible and move on. ;-)

Comment

Found it

Do you mean this?

http://www.workbenchproducts.com/cat...ex_noflash.php

I knew I saw this too. I remember seeing it in a woodworking mag. So searched through the pile and 2 hours and 4 Guinness later.

Comment

I am not the origional poster seeking this item, but your link is exactly what I had ran across before.

Thanks for the link, and have another Guiness or 12 on me.

Regards,

Comment

Re: Found it

Originally posted by MrZ View Post
                          Do you mean this?

http://www.workbenchproducts.com/cat...ex_noflash.php

I knew I saw this too. I remember seeing it in a woodworking mag. So searched through the pile and 2 hours and 4 Guinness later.
                          OMG THAT'S IT!!!

MrZ, thanks a lot for taking the time to go through your magazines and find that. If you're ever in Madison, WI, I owe you some more Guinness. ;-)

Gees, now that it's been located, I think I'm going to renege on my non-slip-tablecloth plan...

Comment

Re: Found it

Originally posted by Wood_Junkie View Post
                            OMG THAT'S IT!!!

MrZ, thanks a lot for taking the time to go through your magazines and find that. If you're ever in Madison, WI, I owe you some more Guinness. ;-)

Gees, now that it's been located, I think I'm going to renege on my non-slip-tablecloth plan...
                            Glad to help.

If you buy it, post a follow up. I would love to know what you think. Having a small shop I sometimes use my tablesaw for assembly & have gotten some nice scratches as a result. Plus I like the fact that it's a dry erase board.

Comment

(I know this isn't specifically Ridgid related, but since it goes on my TS3650, and a subscriber on this forum found it for me... I'm figuring this is OK to post a review and a recommendation)

So, I ordered this thing, called "Tool Clad", and I must say it's really a fine item. My experience with the vendor was also very, very positive. I'll post pictures once I get some time to take a few.

It's a very nicely made, giant refrigerator magnet, or placemat, for lack of a better description, and is about 1.5mm thick. It has a slick surface on the top, completely suitable for dry-erase pen notes, adhering post-its, etc. The top surface has a plethora of useful information, including:
                              - Decimal inch - millimeter - fraction conversion chart from 1mm on up.
                              - A very nice chart for various wood screw sizes and the associated pilot bit size, shank bit size, and even the taper bit size to use. From #4 on up to #12 if I remember correctly.
                              - 1" square layout grid, with a ruler at the bottom. I think it's 18" each way, by 1/8" increments.
                              - Some basic geometry formulas useful for woodworking
                              - The "golden ratio"

It adheres nicely to the cast iron top, but also comes off with relative ease by "peeling" it off. It does not shift unless you lift a significant portion and reposition. So once it's down it stays in place. On the TS3650 it overhangs the front/back about about 1/2". Since I have a router extension table as my left wing, it does not overhang laterally, and leaves about 4" exposed (I knew before buying it that is only 44" wide). I prefer to cover and protect my ProMax router table and miter tracks, so the exposed portion is the 4" on the right side wing.

It came packaged in rolled-up fashion, with a sheet of wax paper or something rolled into the mat to protect the surface. It had a slight dent, as a result of package handling, but this flattens out when unrolled onto the table saw.

After ordering it hadn't arrived for about 10 days. I called and left a message using the number on their website. It wound up arriving a couple days after that call, and I got a call from them the day after delivery (this was yesterday). He explained that FedEx had lost track of the first package they sent, but they had, in fact, shipped a second, which is probably the one that arrived. He was very polite and apologized for the delay. I was pleasantly shocked when he said that if the other one does happen to show up, to go ahead and keep it or give it a friend for their use, rather than incur the cost or the trouble of shipping it back.

For $58, count me as a happy customer! :-)
                              Last edited by Wood_Junkie; 06-01-2007, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X