X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forstner bits...HSS???

Will be getting a forstner bit set and was wondering if it is worth an extra $75 to get bits made from high speed steel?

I'm looking at the Grizzly brand. 31 pc. set is $55, but $130 in HSS.

They will be used for average home projects, not heavy duty use.

Thanks

Re: Forstner bits...HSS???

for your application, stick with the less expensive set.

i doubt that it would pay to spend almost 3 times as much for a set that you'll probably not wear out. if you find a size that is needing replacement, you can always buy that size.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

For my first set of forstner bits I went the inexpensive route and don't regret it one bit. When an individual bit would get dull from use I'd replaced it with an HSS bit but only if it was a size I used frequently. If I dulled a bit after only one project then I'd replace it with a less expensive bit. I have quite a few bits in my original set that I've never even used yet so spending big dollars for HSS bits in these sizes makes little sense to me.

This set from Harbor Freight is a perfect starter set. The bits are very sharp to start out with and will last quite awhile before dulling.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Carbon steel works fine for the home user. As others have said, save your $$$ and only buy HSS for the sizes you use the most. If you find there's one or two sizes that get heavy duty use, you might want to go with carbide tipped Forstner bits. Here's some info, but be warned they cost good $$$.

http://www.freudtools.com/woodworker...nerBits_1.html

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
          <snip>
          This set from Harbor Freight is a perfect starter set. The bits are very sharp to start out with and will last quite awhile before dulling.
          Boy, I'm glad someone got a good deal on the HF bits. Mine looked like they bypassed the sharpening stage of production but I didn't find this out until months later. If you have a HF store inspect these before you buy. There may be some bad arbors, er... bits out there (an old 3650 joke for you newbies).
          Later,
          Chiz

Comment

Working...
          X