re-wiring TS3650 for 220V

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• re-wiring TS3650 for 220V

In my new basement and I had the electrician run a 220-240V line to the new shop and I'm about to change the wiring over. I've read the manual and it seems pretty straightforward, just wanted to see how many of you have done it and if there are any surprises or specific things I should be looking for. thanks.

Re: re-wiring TS3650 for 220V

Nope, just wire per the instructions.
    ken
    Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

I would be interested to hear how it goes. I am thinking that I should leave it on 110volt. Do you think it would run better? So far I haven't had any issues as it is. Why do you want to go to 220?

Comment

It really doesn't matter if you have the saw wired for 110 or 220. It will operate basically the same on either voltage and consume the same amount of electricity. One advantage to converting over to 220 is that the 110 circuit that the saw was sharing with other appliances is not as stressed as it was when the saw was also drawing from it.
        ================================================== ====
        All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisinsk View Post
          I would be interested to hear how it goes. I am thinking that I should leave it on 110volt. Do you think it would run better? So far I haven't had any issues as it is. Why do you want to go to 220?
          Basically 110 and 220 should operate the same. However since there is less line lost with 220 if you have to use a long extension cord or if your house is underwired then you might see an improvement going to 220.

220 uses half the amperage of 110 so power wise they are egual
          Wattage or power equals voltage times amperage.
          220 x 7.5 = 1650
          110 x 15 = 1650
          Same difference.
          Rev Ed

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
            It really doesn't matter if you have the saw wired for 110 or 220. It will operate basically the same on either voltage and consume the same amount of electricity. One advantage to converting over to 220 is that the 110 circuit that the saw was sharing with other appliances is not as stressed as it was when the saw was also drawing from it.
            Exactly. One benefit is that for shops with a limited current supply (say the feed to a shop is from a 60 amp breaker) wiring tools for 220 reduces the load from the supply, meaning we can have more tools. Always a good thing. ;-D
            Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

From the research I have done on 230V vs 120V, BadgerDave is correct. No cost savings and no increase in power. However, when I changed my TS3650 over to 230V the blade seemed to get up to speed instantly - no drag on the motor. Same thing after switching my band saw and radial arm saw to 230V - Blade gains full speed almost instantly. I am no electrical engineer, but their does appear to be a difference at startup which may equate to less wear on the motor.
              Last edited by zeker; 05-22-2007, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Changing from 110-120 up to 220-240 Volts will result in 1/2 the current going through the wires and thus a lower Voltage drop during startup. With any motor of 1 HP and over it's wise to run it on the highest Voltage it's designed to run on providing you have such power in your shop. There are several other benefits as well from switching.

Comment

Working...
                X