X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Jointer

I am thinking of buying the Ridgid jointer. I downloaded the JP0610 manual from the Ridgid web page and noticed that the picture on the manual and the model they sell at Home Depot have a different base than the Jointer displayed in the product area of this site. Does anyone know if there is a difference. It looks like the cabinet/base on the model in the product area would be better because it is closed. Your comments would be appreciated. Thanks

MikeR,

If not mistaken the wider base on the JP0610 is much better than the older model. The old model was able to wobble easy. Plus, Ridgid increased the motor from 3/4 to a full horse. I have used the new model and it is great. Before I forget the fence double bevels also. The old model didn't.

Zip

Comment

Thanks Zip. So it sounds like the model with the closed in square base is the old model. Have you had any problems with the jointer? Thanks again.

Comment

I have the older model, which is a JP0600. I disagree with Zip on the base wobbling. I was an utter, one-time pain in the neck to assemble (uses about 60 nuts and bolts, I think).

I would far rather have a jointer with non-splayed legs, like a closed base is. By the nature of a jointer, you tend to stand very close and walk down the length of it. Splayed leg stands usually get in the way (usually because I haven't specifically used the Ridgid).

Other than that, the JP0610 is all over better. Zip mentioned the fence that now can move in, mine only moves out. Also an improvement, the cutterhead now uses jackscrews for knife positioning rather than springs.

If I were to get a new one, I'd probably build a nice stand for the JP0610 machinery, have the best of both worlds.

Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave. I plan on going to HD tomorrow afternoon to get the jointer. I appreciate the info.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave Arbuckle:

I would far rather have a jointer with non-splayed legs, like a closed base is. By the nature of a jointer, you tend to stand very close and walk down the length of it. Splayed leg stands usually get in the way (usually because I haven't specifically used the Ridgid).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually Dave the front to back width on the JP0610 is the same as the JP0600, its the left to right dimension that is larger.

Jake

Comment

No kidding? Dang, y'all really did that right, then. By way of conversation, the picture on this website of the JP0610 is a JP0600, so I couldn't tell.

With this new info, I guess I'd say the JP0610 is all over an improvement. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Dave

Comment

Thanks to all. I bought the jointer yesterday. Man is that thing heavy. Haven't set it up yet, but I wil be doing that in the next few days.

Comment

Word of warning. When it comes time to put that heavy baby up on the stand, it seems natural to use two people and grab it by the ends of the bed.

Don't do it! This is an extreme amount of stress on the machine. Use two people, standing on the sides of the machine. Pick it up just outside where it mounts to the table. Make sure you both have used mouthwash, you'll be very close for a few moments.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                  X