X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Lazer on Ridgid 12" Compound Mitre Chop Saw

I have installed the lazer on the saw but the lazer is not cutting on the mark. When you line up the lazer on the mark, is the saw suppose to cut on the mark. Mine is not. Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Reboot; 05-18-2007, 01:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Re: Question About Lazer on Ridgid 12" Compound Mitre Chop Saw

I have the same saw and mine doesn't line up either. If you start the saw with it in the upright position, you will see the dotted red line and it will be close but not 100% accurate.

If you find out anything let me know.
    Thanks

Kevin
    Kevin

"SABOT ON!"

Comment

I think part of the problem is that if the line was RIGHT ON the saw line, the blade would actually get in the way of the lazer. All the one's I've seen, they're just off the saw line by a 32nd or so, one way or the other. Kind of like your pencil line. Typically, you cut one side or the other of the line, depending on what you're doing.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

This is normal for arbor mounted lasers since they have no means of adjustability and sit next to the blade. Its not a Ridgid specific thing. Do a search for it there's lots of topics about this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
          I think part of the problem is that if the line was RIGHT ON the saw line, the blade would actually get in the way of the lazer.
          Yes the blade would be in the way if thats the case but you wouldn't want to have the laser project inside the kerf anyway. You want it to mark right on the side edge of it where the blade is going to begin to cut. I don't think there is any practical way of designing an arbor mounted laser with adjustability as it would probably be thrown out of whack once the blade starts spinning. All the adjustable systems are housed seperately overhead of the blade housing.

Comment

I have a laser on my DeWalt. It sucks. I am WAY more accurate with my eye. I personally think laser guides are a consumer bait tactic to get you to buy a saw because it's "cool".

The only laser product I own that's worth its weight in gold is my laser level.

Just my humble opinion.

Z
            “Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world.” —Thomas Carlyle

Comment

I have the Makita slider with laser and once its adjusted where it marks is where it cuts. Its not off by 3/32, 1/16, 1/64, or 1/128. Where it marks thats where it cuts DEAD ON. I can make waaaay more accurate cuts lining up the pencil line right next to the laser than I can visually verifying the tiny teeth are right next to the line. In the case of a sliding saw its even more useful since I can also tell right away if the blade angle is correctly alinged with the line rather than having to push the slide arm all accross the line to make sure all the blade will follow that line all the way to the end. Makita is probably one of the few if not the only to have implemented a truly functional and practical laser system into their saw.

Comment

Went through this w/customer service a while back, they told me that there is nothing they can do about it, unless it is "OVER" 1/8" from the saw cut line. So you either buy a different brand laser, or forget it. When I'm outside I cannot see the damn laser anyway, so to me its, "who cares".
                Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

You can also try this. It gets quite good reviews. Main drawback apparently is it tends to require readjustment since it's sticky taped on.

http://www.laserkerf.com/

Comment

I noticed the same thing with the line up. I fixed, I put on my old Irwin lazer and it works perfect now.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                      You can also try this. It gets quite good reviews. Main drawback apparently is it tends to require readjustment since it's sticky taped on.

http://www.laserkerf.com/
                      I purchased one of the laskerkerf's for my old Dewalt 708. I installed following the directions and have found the laser to be dead on accurate. It marks where the blade is going to cut since it is mounted behind the blade. And that sticky tape you refer to, it is some super duper stuff. It sets up like epoxy almost. But if you ever need to move it or transfer it to a different saw, lasercut will send you a new mounting kit.
                      Even with the laser I still check my blade with the line. Remember, all lasers are accurate enough to let you know to move your thumb if there is a red line shinning on it.
                      sigpicSeldom Wrong, BUT Never in Doubt

Comment

I use the Kreg stop system on my saw, rarely do I even try to hit a mark. I just go for actual measurements.

Comment

Working...
                        X