X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Railing for a deck

I have to replace a deck railing with pressure treated lumber and i priced it out at $1250.00 for two people working and there is 75 ft of railing to replace.
    Does that sound right to anyone
    RYan Varga

Re: Railing for a deck

Depends...

What are you paying for lumber?
    Does the removal include disposal?
    What's the spacing on posts?
    Any stair rails?

I had 120' of railing installed last summer on my deck cost me $3,400.
    It was vinyl railing and multiple stair rails with weird angles.

Comment

Originally posted by RyanV View Post
      I have to replace a deck railing with pressure treated lumber and i priced it out at $1250.00 for two people working and there is 75 ft of railing to replace.
      Does that sound right to anyone
      Ryan you don't really give enough information for a proper reply...

We know what material you're using but how much?
      What style of railing are you building, horizontal rails or vertical pickets etc?
      How far between posts?
      How are the posts connected to the deck?

Re and Re jobs always cost more than just building something where nothing existed. Dismantling the old rail could be time consuming depending on how it was constructed...
      Does the bid include disposal like Plumberscrack asked?

That bid sounds low to me if it includes removal, material and labour.

Can you post more info?
      Cheers! - Jim
      -------------
      All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

its vertical picket every 6 oc for 75 ft the price is just to build that demo is a seperate cost that i already have figured
        RYan Varga

Comment

Does the price include painting?
          www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

nope striahgt up just to build it
            RYan Varga

Comment

If that includes the lumber and they do a decent job I'd say the price is good. Make sure that they treat the ends of any lumber they cut otherwise there is no point in using pressure treated lumber. I've found that most contractors(99%) will not treat the cut parts.
              Where I live that price would be on the low end and easy to find someone to do it.
              www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Ryan if that price is for material and labour (no demo or disposal or paint) then I agree with Rafael... It's acceptable... (but still a tad low... )

Rafael, excellent point on treating the cut ends of the lumber, I've seen this step missed many times. Negates the entire point of using PT lumber like you said...

Another point is fastenings... Ryan you should make sure you use ACQ approved fastenings. An excellent article about ACQ treated lumber here @ Fine Homebuilding.

Good luck with the railing
                Last edited by jbergstrom; 05-20-2007, 12:01 AM. Reason: spelling
                Cheers! - Jim
                -------------
                All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Try to get them to dispose of the old material for that price.
                  www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Working...
                  X