X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thanks Home Depot (NOT)

They look like they might have been banding marks. Was it by any chance the first or last sheet in the bunk?

At the cabinet shop I work at we have had some plywood that looks great before it is finsihed. We sand everything to 180 and then sometimes we do the finishing for the job. Once we had a bad unit of Cherry, you could see, after a dark finish on it, the poor layers below. It was causing ripples similar to what you have, all along the sheet. I think that there may have been too much pressure on the veneer when it was pressed onto the plywood layers below.

On a side note, I often laugh at people who insist that plywood core is better than MDF core. Ply-core will warp more often than MDF and when ply-core warps it will bend solid wood also. MDF, is less likely to warp and once you add a solid edge to it, it rarely takes off on you.

Comment

I can't wait for Lowes to come around here. Nearest HD is 40 mins and lowes over an hour. I hear their service is much better.
      HD so slow here that I figured out the code to the wire rack. Now when I need wire, no need to wait 25 mins for assistance, I just run the rack,measure out my wire, get the sticker and fill it out.
      Same with the key maker.
      LIKE I SAID. I CAN"T WAIT FOR LOWES TO COME TO TOWN!!!
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I am not gaining much ground with HD. They tell me the $15.00 is a good will jesturte and for futher satisfaction I need to contact the store manager. So I guess today I'll give him a call and see what happens.
        I am still not sure what caused the marks on the sheet, but a return visit to HD to look at the stack revealed several other sheets with faint lines in them and about the same location as mine.
        Please check out my web page
        www.woodandwax.net

Comment

Bring your project you worked so hard on and set it up in the parking lot so you can show all of HD customers how good their wonderful products are .
          It takes 25 mins to get any help in there but I'm sure someone will be out in 4 mins to "help" you off the property .
          If you dont have any luck with manager then try a different one. Any time I,ve complained (evenings) I always got some snot nose punk with an attitude, but my mom found one (day shift) that actually seems interested in keeping customers.
          Maybe we should start a pool for your bail money .
          GOOD LUCK!
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

"...but a return visit to HD to look at the stack revealed several other sheets with faint lines in them and about the same location as mine."

Then when you hold yours up next to the wood still on the rack there should be no question of the origin of the defect. And I think defect is the correct word if this is AC ply -AND- this scoring appears on more than one sheet.

Who was the plywood made by? Was it a US or Canadian firm or from china? Yeah, I've noticed that HD now carries wood from china. Maybe try contacting the manufacturer (look for the Mill # in the APA stamp) of the plywood and see what they say. Look on the stack of lumber in the store and see if there is a label of sticker somewhere on the bundle which might have a lot or batch number on it that you could give to the manufacturer.

http://www.apawood.org/level_b.cfm?content=prd_ply_main
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Yeah I got some hardwood plywood for a job recently from HD and it was made in China!

Comment

Reguardless of HD's (or anyone else for that matter) quality issues, you are sort of starting out badly with home center wood anyway and Birch is probably the worst. It is generally "substrate" wood that is covered by something else.

Cabinet grade sheets are going to be much better....but far more $$$ too.

The only other thing I can think of about this is that you sanded with waaay to fine of a grit, especially if you didn't "work-up" to that grit.
                Starting with a coarse grit will actually cut the bad surface off and then smoothing with finer grits will give better results. Sanding to fine closes the wood and keeps the stain out, then if your sanding is not perfectly even and equal.....you get blotches/lines etc.
                Finer grit is great for between coats when finishing, but not before staining.

Comment

more than likely the defect is a nick in the knife that cut the veneer in the factory, and it is rotary cut, which is usly the lower grade of veneers,

And who knows it may have been seconds from the manufacture, or a shop grade, to begin with, hard woods are graded differently than soft woods, APA sticker will not be on the plywood, hardwoods are usly stamped on the edge of the ply if stamped at all. (the APA is for construction grade engineered wood products, http://www.apawood.org/level_b.cfm?content=prd_ply_main )

http://www.hpva.org/products/buying/veneer.asp

http://www.wzinternational.com/ventexgrading.htm

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplrn/fplrn025.pdf

Basically you bought a low grade of plywood, as you know you can buy the lower grades for less money, and your condemning the seller.
                  If you buy from the walmart of lumber, really what do you expect.
                  IN my area a good flat sliced veneer birch ply board (either ply core or MDF) will cost you over $50.

Plywood is not jsut plywood, there are many different grades and cores, and glues, all that make a difference on how the final product finishes up,

I am sorry you got burnt, but if your serious about wood working I would start to do some searches on the Internet on hardwoods, grading, and the differences of the grades, so forth,

In most hard wood suppliers you buy the lumber in random width and length, and by the board foot, at HD you buy it like soft wood lumber, edged, planed and by soft wood dimensions, and usually by the foot.

check out a real hard wood supplier,
                  http://www.paxtonwood.com/
                  plywood section look at the explanations of grades, and types, also look at there selection. They carry 22 plus(depending on the location) different types in sizes and grades. just in BIRCH,
                  http://www.paxtonwood.com/plywoods.html

look in your yellow pages and look up hardwoods, may be under lumber, but look for sub headings of hardwood and veneers, and hard wood plywood, or sheet goods.

Yes if you just need a board or too, home depot will get you some lumber, but the help has no idea what is there, or the grades, and they may not even ordered the stuff, some times (I was told by a former HD manager) stuff jsut show up and the store is expected to move it.

BIRCH First of all BIRCH is a difficult wood to stain, and the cut of the ply wood will make a big difference in how it stains, as well as to the type of stain used, and then the quality of the plywood veneer will make a large difference.
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

do a quick search on STAINING BIRCH,

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...+birch+plywood

you will see you are not the only one that has difficulty with it,
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Well I went to Lowes and bought a sheet of 3/4" Birch from them. The pic says it all
                      Attached Files
                      Please check out my web page
                      www.woodandwax.net

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
                        HD has the worst lumber I've seen around here. Lowe's seems to be better, but that will probably change soon.
                        I don't know what Lowe's you use but here in San Dimas, CA this Lowe's has the WORST lumber ever. HD is actually the better one.

Comment

Shellacing the birch before staining will minimize problems.
                          www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Just made my quarterly trip to HD and looked at their ply. Their "3/4" ply lumber has dropped in dimension to where it is now only 1/32 over 5/8". (this was the Sandply, "birch classic" ($29 per sheet) and Hardwood Birch ($45 sheet). I had kinda accepted 23/32 for "3/4" but when it's 21/32, that's fraudulent.

Just a heads up. Take a measurin' stick with you when you buy, so you know what you're getting.

Go
                            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
                            X