X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Home Depot (NOT)

OK any one have any ideas on a staining Birch plywood I foolishly bought at Home Depot. I finall y got to the point where I could stain my project and found that the veneer has dark lines in it. It looks like they joined the veneer and the joints stain darker. How can I blend them in??? I tried to attach a pic, hope it worked.
    Thanks in advance for any help you guys can be.
    Attached Files
    Please check out my web page
    www.woodandwax.net

Re: Thanks Home Depot (NOT)

Shellac it, then stain. The shellac should help alleviate the problem some. HD plywood is not high quality.
    www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Can I shellac over the first coat of stain. I thought of a sealer like you use on pine before staining. Your right about the quality of Home Depot plywood. Lately I am finding all of their lumber is substandard.
      www.woodandwax.net

Comment

HD has the worst lumber I've seen around here. Lowe's seems to be better, but that will probably change soon.

Comment

You could shellac over it and apply more stain, but you wouldn't like the results. If money is not an issue and you want a nicer look you might want to get better plywood.
          I dont have any good advice at this point.
          www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Guess I'll go out and buy another another sheet from a better supplier. Thanks for the help.
            This could be a great time to start a boycott against HD! What do you guys think?
            www.woodandwax.net

Comment

Why is it the grain pattern appears to match up in the photo if this face veneer was pieced together? Maybe these are scratches in the face veneer caused by mishandling during shipment or when stocking the shelves or even during loading/unloading or during machining on your part. In the photo I can clearly see three lines and looks like there could be a fourth off to the right. Are there any others?

Why not take the piece back to HD and complain and get your money back. It should not matter that you have cut it to size and stained it, that is the point where the defect showed up, you would have no way of knowing about it until the stain was applied unless you somehow knew to suspect HD lumber and tested before hand.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

These lines do appear at different locations on the sheet. I never thought about it being caused by handeling. I did sand the sheet to 220 and I can not feel the line with tips of my fingers or a finger nail. That's why I thought it might be a veneer line. I have e-mailed HD about my dissapointment with their products. Guess I'll have to wait and see what happens.
                www.woodandwax.net

Comment

I like Bob's face to face confrontation much better than your email idea. If you do receive an answer to your email I doubt if you'll like the answer anyway.

As to your original question, I doubt if this will help but did you try applying another coat of stain?
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

it sort of looks like a cut from a razor knife or exacto blade. this exposed the end grain and allowed for a deeper penetration of the stain in a straight line?

are you sure that there is no surface cuts.

since this is a 4'x8' sheet. where is the excess scrap to take a good look at. that would be the real test.

take the sample and mask off a perpendicular line across the face of the sheet. exposing 50% to stain and 50% to nothing. see if you can then spot the defect.

rick.

posting another picture of this would be interesting too.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

I've complained to HD corporate several times and have never received a response other than receipt of the complaint. They are too busy making money to worry about customer satisfaction.
                      www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

The product in the picture is rotary cut veneer, and the knives had a slight kick in them.
                        flat cut veneer looks like board side by side, and will stain better.

the landscaping timbers that are flat on two sides and round like a post, that is a core of plywood, from soft wood or core ply woods

there are two ways of cutting veneers, one rotary and the other flat,

the rotary is done on a large lath, and the flat I is by a shear type cutter. http://www.forestlearn.org/mills/ply...n_stacking.htm
                        http://www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/FNR/FNR-240.pdf

there are a few woods that are difficult to stain as stain is hi lights the grain imperfections, birch, maple, cherry, pine,
                        hard woods usually are more difficult than soft, in that there grains have more side to side pours in it than soft woods,

a gel stain is a little better in that is about half stain and halve DYE.

IF you use a DYE in sted of a stain on difficult to stain woods you will get a much better result , I find spraying the DYE on is the best way to go,

there are two few different dye types and that is on there solubility, and the product in which they dissolve, most stains are bought as a power, and then dissolved,

there are water based, alcohol based and oil base,

usually it is best to use a base that is different than the top coat used,

I use the water base when using lacquer, (you don't want the solvent in the top coats, melting the dye, and then coloring the top coats, as it will appear muddy.

Dyes are how most manufactures do the coloring of products, it colors and there is some penetration but the result is super product to use on difficult to "stain" woods.

I use the DYES from this company,
                        http://woodworker.com/ type in DYE in the search engine.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=760

you can mix to different strengths, and get different shades, do tests on wood, as applying can make a difference to the final results.

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas..._problems.html
                        once you lean to use them, I think you will really like the results,
                        I personally like to spray them on, very lightly, and then dust on another coat if necessary to get the depth I want,

below are some cherry wood cabinets I did a few years ago, for a customer and they are DYED, not stained, IT took me three months to find a proper DYE/stain to do the project, stains came out looking similar to the first posted picture in the first post.
                        Attached Files
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I have had sheets like that before, and all come from a good supplier. Their answer was that during the final sanding process, the sheet either jammed or slowed, but the feed rollers did not. The feed rollers burnished/pressed and scuffed the very end of the damage, getting the light/deep stain contrast. Sanding them out is usually not an option as the veneer thickness it too thin to get down to good wood again. From my view point, it's kinda a lost cause, short of painting them a solid color.

Mark

Comment

well I did get a response from HD, and they want to give me a $15.00 gift card. Yeh right for a $25.00 sheet of plywood, not including tax. So I
                            e-mailed them back, now I wait and see again. Oh I bought a sheet from Lowes, and must say MUCH BETTER QUAILITY.
                            www.woodandwax.net

Comment

15 bucks. HD must have been taken over by aliens.
                              www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Working...
                              X